Brake Service Price...?

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone...

Just thought I'd check Ive left out Elddis Elusion 534 2003 in for a brake service.

They've said the shoes are badly worn and need replaced. We bought the caravan 4 years ago 2nd hand and never had the brakes looked at.

They've quoted £92 for the shoes and £60 for the service...? :dry: They also said the lock nuts cant be re used so new ones would need fitted...?

Just checking does that sound ok...?

Just wondering if this sounds pretty reasonable. Only issue is we are going away on Monday for 4 days and might not have the shoes delivered and fitted in time. So might need to take it as it is... :eek:hmy:

One thing I was thinking about as well the handbrake has been really bad partly, I would think because of the shoes but is it common for the handbrake to "drag" and hold the car back a bit sometimes...?

Just something I was wondering....?

Cheers for any tips...:)

James

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I can't help with the price of the brake shoes but it's probably correct although a bit on the high side., Does the price include the one shot nuts, springs etc?
The price of fitting seems reasonable and the locking (one shot) nuts can't be used again.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
To be honest mate if your brakes are in such a state I would not even argue about the quote and I would have the rest of it checked, in my case I have done all my own brake and chassis service , don't skimp on brakes,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " They've quoted £92 for the shoes and £60 for the service...? They also said the lock nuts cant be re used so new ones would need fitted..."

As for the price of the shoes, which come as a set with new springs etc, and the size then £92 is right depending where they are supplied from. If from Al-Ko then the price is as stated.

The lock nuts do indeed have to be replaced as they are "One Shot Nuts", which , in my opinion, should be included in the price as nothing can be done without removing them, but most dealers and mobiles charge extra for these.

The £60 service charge is right for the work involved.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The quote looks good to me and the one shot nuts should be replaced.
The hand brake should not drag if fully released though, worn shoes would not cause that.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Once the new shoes are installed, these will be adjusted as part of the process, and this in turn will affect the handbrake. The mechanism that activates the brakes may itself require adjustment to ensure equal operation on both sides, and that the brakes are fully activated within the range of the handbrake lever.

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " They've quoted £92 for the shoes and £60 for the service...? They also said the lock nuts cant be re used so new ones would need fitted..."

As for the price of the shoes, which come as a set with new springs etc, and the size then £92 is right depending where they are supplied from. If from Al-Ko then the price is as stated.

The lock nuts do indeed have to be replaced as they are "One Shot Nuts", which , in my opinion, should be included in the price as nothing can be done without removing them, but most dealers and mobiles charge extra for these.

The £60 service charge is right for the work involved.

Cheers..just wondered as at the start they were quoting different prices.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
One thing that occurs to me. They, presumably, removed the drums to examine the shoes. If the new shoes are not delivered before you go away they will have to use new one shot nuts to secure the drums. Then, when you come back, they will remove the drums and replace the shoes. Make sure, if this is the case, that you are charged for 2 sets of one shot nuts and that they haven't been tempted to reuse the 1st new set.

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Just to update the post.

Got the brake shoes fitted. Handbrake is far better. We went away to Southern Ireland for 4 days. On the way there brakes started squealing quite a lot and also on the way home. Though this didnt seem to happen when we left the shop...?

They have said if it happens again they will look at the shoes again - they mentioned they should have "bed in" but we did over 200 miles so surely the shoes were well worn in after that.

The first time home though there was a bit of a "smell" we noticed but thought it was just that they were brand new shoes..?

We might be away again in Sept for a night so they've said to see how it goes then...

PaulT - just reading youre reply - the shoes came just in time for us going away lucky enough..:)

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts