Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Do caravans brake automatically when the towing vehicle slows down, Or is it just a standard handbrake that's applied when not in motion and unhitched? Or does a modern caravan work differently to an older model? Cause reading about caravans that can snake if out of control suggests to me that there's no brakes to help slow it down? :whistle:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The caravan brakes are applied by the drawbar as the car slows down.
What happens is when moving forward the drawbar is extended and the brakes on he van are off.
As the car slows the van catches up with the car, compresses the drawbar which in turn applies force to the brake linkage rod, which in turn applies the brakes.
As the car accelerates, the drawbar is pulled out again, the pressure on the brake linkage rod is relieved, the brakes relax by the spring tension of the brake shoe springs and the brakes are once again "off".

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
That's kinda cool, So that's what they mean when they say, braked and unbraked. Thanks Damian. Is that something that should be checked when buying a caravan? can you move it backwards and forwards with human strength? To make sure it's working?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The difference between braked and not braked trailers is exactly that, one has brakes of some kind, the other has no brakes at all, like a small garden type trailer.
You can tell when looking at caravans whether the brakes are adjusted correctly by the angle of the handbrake, it should be at about 45degrees when applied if the van is , or has been moving forward, or at 90 degrees if in reverse.

The hitch should be very hard to press in towards the van body and when released should move slowly and smoothly back to the resting position.

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am wondering, is there any kind of safety features on a caravans handbrake like a lock or a metal cover to prevent someone from letting your vans handbrake off, especially when your van in on or really close to a hill,? B)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
On level ground I don't use the handbrake at all. The van shouldn't move once the steadies are down, On sloping ground I also use wheel chocks in case the handbrake fails. In either case why do you need a lock?

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just as a safety precaution so no one can let it off and it goes rolling down a hill, especially my driveway which is on a slope, I'd hate to think that I was out getting the shopping and some kids were messing about as they do.

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No, because i havent got a caravan yet, I just joined the forum after hearing about it's existence from buying the magazine and i have been asking all sorts of questions to learn, Does a wheel lock stop the caravan from rolling? Is it advisable to buy one for each side? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but im just a newbie.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Wheel locks ....I don't bother with them myself, but they are often used as an anti theft device..
If you mean wheel clamps then there is a lot of information here:
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/insurance-security-and-storage/49458-wheel-clamps#385630

Some caravan insurance companies have a requirement that such a device ( or and others be fitted as a condition of the insurance.)
Its usual to only fit one...
Regards
paws

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My driveway is on a hill but theres a 25 foot flat part at the top which i can keep my caravan, I've discussed a motor mover to get it up the slope which is about an 18 to 25% incline so i was asking if there was any way i could lock it up so its tamperproof and also at the same time stop it from rolling down the hill and causing a terrible accident, hense the question "does a caravans handbrake have a lock" or do the wheel locks do the same thing? There's a lot of children playing in my street? :S

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Like Paws I dont use wheel locks heard they are a right pain, but my Insurance company like you to have two forms of security so I use a wheel clamp and a hitch lock. And as WC has said if the steadies are down the van should not go any where, you could just use chocks in front of the wheels for added peace of mind, a word of caution about the steadies dont put too much pressure on them so you "Jack" the van up they are there to do just that "steady " the van.
Oh and it is recommended that if you are leaving the van in the same position for a long period of time take the handbrake off as the brakes could stick and cause problems later when you want to move it. At home my handbrake is off, on site if it's sloping it will be on, level pitch off.
"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't trust steadies to stop a caravan from moving on a 25% slope. The coefficient of friction of a metal steady foot on concrete or tarmac isn't very high and it could easily slip on that sort of slope. Wooden or rubber wheel chocks I think would be the most effective used in conjunction with the steadies or even an anchor chain connected to a cemented ring at the top of the drive.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You can buy a steel post with a built in tow ball. Cement the post into the ground.Hitch up the caravan and fit the hitch lock. It won't move and will be secure.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I wouldn't trust steadies to stop a caravan from moving on a 25% slope. The coefficient of friction of a metal steady foot on concrete or tarmac isn't very high and it could easily slip on that sort of slope. Wooden or rubber wheel chocks I think would be the most effective used in conjunction with the steadies or even an anchor chain connected to a cemented ring at the top of the drive.

Re-Read the post, it wont be on a slope ;)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Gagakev said:
Re-Read the post, it wont be on a slope ;)

OP wrote; "and also at the same time stop it from rolling down the hill and causing a terrible accident," ;)

Timeout, gentlemen. I believe the OP said in another thread that he had a sloping drive with a flat bit at the top. I think he is worried that vandals could move the van from the flat part and then gravity would take over. :eek:hmy:

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, That's what i mean, I think the idea of it being chained up by a steel post embedded in a cemented block is a good idea and also the post with the towball fitted is another good idea, cause heres my train of thought, I only have 9 foot 2 inches of width to play with in my drive and once i finally get my caravan up the slope and onto the flat part and the caravan is 7 foot 2 inch wide then that only leaves me with one foot of space either side, now i could put it far left and have two foot of space on one side and nothing on the other but my problem would be how would i wind down the steadies in such a narrow drive? Could i have the 12 inches either side to play with once ive parked it dead centre and use a shortened version of a steady winder if you can buy them or even make them or would a socket set do the job with a rachet? :whistle:

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
My drive slopes back towards the house, I made a post of two parts, the first has to be removed after the hitch has been lifted and moved sideways and then the inner post folds forward and flush to the concrete.

HymerNova530005_zps4b2b207a.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts