Brand new and slightly terrified!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel,

bet you can't wait now! Agree with what Sian says, take a big chill when you get there, don't worry about others watching, you'll probably find someone willing to give you a hand. Make sure you pack a bottle of wine to open once you're set up!

A couple of years ago we took our brand new van down to Cornwall, and although it wasn't our first caravanning trip away, it was our first with a new van. My husband managed to scrape the side of the van on a large boulder hidden by bushes whilst turning into a tight left hand entrance (ignoring my advice to go straight ahead into a large field to do a full circle and therefore going in straight!!!). Then about half an hour later whilst putting the awning up, one of the rails fell and dinted the side of the van!! I think we both had to take a deep breath, count to 10, and think, well it's happened now!

We managed to get the scrape repaired fortunatley!!

Hopefully you won't have any probs like that, let us know how you get on,

Lara.

May 29, 2008
Visit site
We've had a change of plan and going on the Friday now, oh why does it have to be the 13th......Where we are going is just a field so a little 'petrified' because of that. Spent today putting stuff inside we've got like the gas bottles, water carriers etc etc. I keep looking at the awning and thinking OH MY! I know we'll end up in knots with it.

Mark who does the course in Consett (I pressume it's him) is supposed to be VERY good, sure it'll go well. Something I am 'considering' doing at a later date. I hate towing the quad bike on a trailer, nearly pranged that reversing it so think it'll be a must for me.

As for being stranded, I made sure the insurance covered for a driver if he becomes ill :D Just incase.

Good luck with your first trip, will be thinking of you as I am flapping about trying to locate everything we need, pack etc

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your support guys!

Now in major panic as only two more 'sleeps' to go! I know how u feel Marsha, we were going to have been travelling down on Fri 13th but decided to add an extra night and go on the Thurs (phew!). You also mentioned gas bottles and made me think..we were given one when we bought the van, I don't know if it'll already have the gas in yet?? That's prob a really thick and obvious thing that lots of u more experienced 'vanners will chuckle about! Sounds like u had an absoloute nightmare with the new van scrapes and dents Lara! EEK! Makes me feel better though that we won't be the only ones doing major newbie mistakes (although hopefully won't trash the van completely!)

Oh and Sian I have the wine packed already for when we r all set up!

Here's to the trip! (and Marsha's too)

Angel

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel,

We are newbies too and went away in our new Bailey Ranger 540/6 last weekend for the first time. Great weekend, even though we only went 15 miles from home and the van was fantastic.

The two trickiest things were getting the ALKO wheel lock fitted and not remembering to remove the fridge winter covers.Nevermind!

Looking forward to this weekend and our next trip away and I hope you have as much fun in your Ranger as we had.

Cheerio,

Colin

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi all fellow North Eastern caravaners!

We have been towing for coming up to 18 months and we really love it. We only have the one daughter but she has the enthusiasm of a class full of kids when she sees me reversing the van on the drive to get it ready for a trip away.

We went to Goosewood site in York but we went down the A1 then hung a left when Mr and Mrs Tom Tom had stopped arguing on which junction to leave at. If memory serves right it took about 2 hours to get down there. The funny thing is though on the way back we went up the A19 then, as you need to divert around Sutton Bank and go through Hemsley I took us about 5 hours to travel back Newcastle. We ended up stopping for a nice 'layby' picnic and the scenery is lovely, we just saw too much of it!!

Also, I want to go on the towing course as I think I need some tweeking in some departments.

Anyway, happy towing ! Maybe we will all meet up one day and take over a site for a weekend. I bring the BBQ!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi all! Ah Baileybazz How I wish I'd read your message before we left for our trip!! We didn't have any major problems..other than being fooled by the 'Caravanners avoid Sutton bank' sign on the way DOWN the A19, so we also had the massive detour toward Helmsley. Yes it was very pretty! But by the time we got to the site it was six o'clock and the kids were bored and starving! We had to give up trying to set up to go in search of food so we drove to a recommended fish and chip restaurant round the corner..which was closed (at this point I 'm not ashamed to admit I was so close to tears I had to bite my lip v hard to maintain the 'mammy's having lots of fun on this trip' persona!!!!) Finally got everyone fed and got the kids to bed by half nine (!). Then our saviours turned up asking 'do u need a hand??'..must have seen the desparation in my eyes! They showed us how to set up, then by ten o'clock we finally got our glass of wine! Nectar!! Despite the tricky start we LOVED IT and are off to Pooley Bridge on Friday. Can't wait! My tip is..if going up or down the A19 near York, ignore the sutton bank signed detour. Sutton Bank is OFF the A19, you can go up and down the A19 no bother, as we discovered on the way back! Hope your trip was ok Marsha! And Baileybazz..yer on! Bring the barbie and we'll bring the bottles!

Angel

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Erm..mow feeling the weight of responsibility here. re Sutton Bank. Never take my word for it with regards to directions! Check your map first, but when I checked ours on the way back Sutton Bank seemed to be on a road coming off the A19, not actually on the A19 (Can't remember the road number now!). Anyway, we drove up the A19 ok coming home so think I'm right! Angel :)

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Sutton Bank is on the A170 :)

Pleased to hear after you got started you all had a good time. We weren't actually that far from you I don't think, we were only 4 miles I think from Helmsley.

Our trip went ok, nothing near as bad as I thought. Of course our site was a field, no electric etc on site so we relied on the generator when needed. We forgot silly things like - the kids outside chairs, little ones PJs etc and it was funny on the way down remembering what we'd forgot. We also opted for bought food on the first night, it was much later when our boys got to bed and they woke at 4.45am on the first morning!!! We figured out the heating on the second night as it was VERY cold, the second night little one stayed in bed until after 10am. Oh and the awning assembly was MUCH easier than we thought aswell.

We won't be away again until the summer hols because my partner works weekends. Hope yoi enjoy next week even more :)

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Marsha, See how good we are? We survived and actually enjoyed it!! We also forgot the kids outside chairs and there were tears about that. Remembered them this weekend tho! We thought it was cold at night too. Need warmer pjs! Pooley Bridge was fine too. Just got back this afternoon, but weather was horrendous!! Torrential rain and stormy winds (were a bit scared of driving home but it was fine, just took our time). We've three weeks off now till our next trip and can't wait. You were so brave going to a field for your first trip. We'd have been stumped if we hadn't been rescued!

Enjoy next time :->

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts