Brand new and slightly terrified!!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone, This site is great! Glad to hear there are so many other young families out there doing this (can I say I'm young, at 36??). There's me, hubby, kids age 4 and 20 months. We live in the North East and have just bought a Bailey Ranger 540/6. Pick it up next weekend! Too scared to use it until hubby has been on his caravan club course though (big respect to u self taught people!!) We're going to York (straight down the A19, not too scary) for our first weekend. The true test will be whether we manage to get the kids to sleep in their bunks! ha ha.

Can anyone give us a rough estimate of how long it'll take to get set up on site on our first attempt? Or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' type question?...!

Angel

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Angel,

Welcome to the world of caravans!

When we purchased our first caravan a little 2 berth Bailey Beachcomber,the handover by the dealer left quite a bit to be desired. we arrived on a local site 1 hr later and totaly forgot what little information we were given. We spent ages trying to get the caravan off the towhitch, an hour trying to light the gas to boil the kettle only to discover that we needed to turn the gas on by the cylinder...I could go on and on with umpteen different things that went wrong, but we had great fun especially after a few cans of beer hahaha total setup time was about 3 hours.We now own a much newer and bigger Bailey Ranger and can set up within 20 mins its all a learning curve. My advice would be and the most logical thing to do is to ask as many questions as you can think of during handover and write them down!. But in reality logic escapes you in the excitment of owning your new van.

All the best and good luck on your first set-up!

Andrew

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel,

Welcome to the world of caravans!

When we purchased our first caravan a little 2 berth Bailey Beachcomber,the handover by the dealer left quite a bit to be desired. we arrived on a local site 1 hr later and totaly forgot what little information we were given. We spent ages trying to get the caravan off the towhitch, an hour trying to light the gas to boil the kettle only to discover that we needed to turn the gas on by the cylinder...I could go on and on with umpteen different things that went wrong, but we had great fun especially after a few cans of beer hahaha total setup time was about 3 hours.We now own a much newer and bigger Bailey Ranger and can set up within 20 mins its all a learning curve. My advice would be and the most logical thing to do is to ask as many questions as you can think of during handover and write them down!. But in reality logic escapes you in the excitment of owning your new van.

All the best and good luck on your first set-up!

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, Sounds fun!! Do u think the dealer will let us videocam him doing the handover? haha. Like the thought of the beer when it's all over...

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
We've has our van for 8 months now and have been away about 10 times but are still rubbish at setting up.

Just remember to pack the caravan in reverse order (i.e. the things you will need first when you arrive, pack last).

And have a plentiful supply of cigarettes.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
We've has our van for 8 months now and have been away about 10 times but are still rubbish at setting up.

Just remember to pack the caravan in reverse order (i.e. the things you will need first when you arrive, pack last).

And have a plentiful supply of cigarettes.
Ah gave the fags up years ago...red wine should do it!

Angel

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel,

haven't heard anything from you for a while, how's your new van? Have you been away in it yet? Our next trip is to Winderemere and Keswick during whitweek, can't wait!!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lara

Funny you should say u haven't heard from me in a while, I've just finished posting in the General forum! We have just been to visit our van today (in storeage). Spent a happy hour filling up plate racks etc with new 'stuff' and wondering why the van was so wobbly (corner steadies not down..I despair at my lack of knowledge..). Actually spent 90% of the time repeatedly lifting my toddler down off the (fixed) bunk ladders as she screamed violently!) Still haven't managed to go anywhere in it yet, couldn't get booked this weekend. Left it too late (lesson learned!). Am desperate to actually use it and can't wait to go to the Lakes! Actually we're going to Centerparcs in Penrith next weekend (was booked before we bought our van) and now I can't believe how much other holidays cost..the sites we've booked in advance are so cheap in comparison!!

Hope u are all well

Angel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Angel

A belated answer to your first post.

Time to set up? No such thing. Just follow a step by step and take your time, Once you have her placed ok on the pitch get the levelling sorted and then down with the steadies, unhitched of course. Then just follow your own schedule and when finished give hubby a cup of tea or a pint and yourself whatever your tipple is. Just don't rush nor be intimidated by the nosey parkers. There are plenty of people on site who will be more than willing to offer help if you want it. We all started at sometime and even for an old lag like me it doesn't go perfect everytime.

Enjoy yourselves..

Cheers

Alan

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel

Time to set up? No such thing. Just follow a step by step and take your time, Once you have her placed ok on the pitch get the levelling sorted and then down with the steadies, unhitched of course. Then just follow your own schedule and when finished give hubby a cup of tea or a pint and yourself whatever your tipple is. Just don't rush nor be intimidated by the nosey parkers. There are plenty of people on site who will be more than willing to offer help if you want it. We all started at sometime and even for an old lag like me it doesn't go perfect everytime.

Enjoy yourselves..

Cheers

Alan
Thanks Alan, I just hope we end up pitching up next to u!! you're right though, everyone was a newbie at some point! Role on 12th June (1st trip booked!)

Angel

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel

Enjoy yourselves..

Cheers

Alan
hello

ive been caravaning for 40 odd years and still make **** ups of putting up the awning ... always get drenched when filling the water container ...my wife waves her arms about like someone bringing a jumbo jet to land when i am reversing to line up with the pitch number peg.. with all the camp site watching ...well dont feel embarressed cos we all have been thro it...and there are plenty to help

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
hello

ive been caravaning for 40 odd years and still make **** ups of putting up the awning ... always get drenched when filling the water container ...my wife waves her arms about like someone bringing a jumbo jet to land when i am reversing to line up with the pitch number peg.. with all the camp site watching ...well dont feel embarressed cos we all have been thro it...and there are plenty to help
hee hee! That'll be me doing the aeroplane impressions, I can see it now!

Angel

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Also new to vanning, but what we did was set off on our first trip straight after picking up our first van< although a struggle atleast everything you have learnt is fresh in your head.

All went well with a little help from site neighbours

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel

We're in our third year of caravanning now, but still made mistakes hooking up and setting up (worst one was husband trying to pull away with the wheel lock still on! Wrapped it round the wheel and had to call out dealership to check it!). So now we use a check list for both hooking up and setting up, reproduced below, which we keep in both the car and the caravan (two copies). You can adapt it to suit your own requirements but it might help:

CARAVAN HOOK UP - CHECK LIST

CHECK WINDOWS AND ROOF LIGHTS ARE CLOSED & LOCKED

CHECK DOOR CATCHES LOCKED

LOCK REFRIGERATOR AND REMOVE GLASS TRAY FROM MICROWAVE.

REMOVE CRYSTALS (IF APPLICABLE)

REMOVE WHEEL CLAMP AND HITCH LOCK

RAISE CORNER STEADIES

ATTACH TO CAR

RELEASE HAND BRAKE

RAISE JOCKEY WHEEL

ATTACH ELECTRICS & BRAKE CABLE

CHECK LIGHTS

ATTACH REAR-VIEW MIRRORS

THEN CHECK ABOVE!

CARAVAN SET UP - CHECK LIST

CHECK VAN LEVEL, CHOCK UP IF NECESSARY

LOCKS ON

WIND DOWN CORNER STEADIES

CONNECT ELECTRICS (AND CHECK WORKING ON CORRECT POLARITY IF ABROAD.)

TURN FRIDGE TO ELECTRICS

CONNECT WATER

CHECK TAPS CLOSED, INC HOT/COLD WATER TANKS

PUMP THROUGH

TURN ON WATER HEATER

TURN ON GAS

Hope this helps. Have fun

Wendy

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel

We're in our third year of caravanning now, but still made mistakes hooking up and setting up (worst one was husband trying to pull away with the wheel lock still on! Wrapped it round the wheel and had to call out dealership to check it!). So now we use a check list for both hooking up and setting up, reproduced below, which we keep in both the car and the caravan (two copies). You can adapt it to suit your own requirements but it might help:

CARAVAN HOOK UP - CHECK LIST

CHECK WINDOWS AND ROOF LIGHTS ARE CLOSED & LOCKED

CHECK DOOR CATCHES LOCKED

LOCK REFRIGERATOR AND REMOVE GLASS TRAY FROM MICROWAVE.

REMOVE CRYSTALS (IF APPLICABLE)

REMOVE WHEEL CLAMP AND HITCH LOCK

RAISE CORNER STEADIES

ATTACH TO CAR

RELEASE HAND BRAKE

RAISE JOCKEY WHEEL

ATTACH ELECTRICS & BRAKE CABLE

CHECK LIGHTS

ATTACH REAR-VIEW MIRRORS

THEN CHECK ABOVE!

CARAVAN SET UP - CHECK LIST

CHECK VAN LEVEL, CHOCK UP IF NECESSARY

LOCKS ON

WIND DOWN CORNER STEADIES

CONNECT ELECTRICS (AND CHECK WORKING ON CORRECT POLARITY IF ABROAD.)

TURN FRIDGE TO ELECTRICS

CONNECT WATER

CHECK TAPS CLOSED, INC HOT/COLD WATER TANKS

PUMP THROUGH

TURN ON WATER HEATER

TURN ON GAS

Hope this helps. Have fun

Wendy
Thanks so much wendy! Not long now till our first trip! Just over 2 weeks. Yours checklist will be very useful.

Thanks again

Angel

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel,

I am new to the site and read with great interest that you are just starting out with a 4yr old and 20mnth old! I too have a 4 year old and 18mnth old and we are looking to buy our first van next year. Did lots of touring as a child and loved it but have never towed or toured as an adult - will look our for tips from you over the next few months! Good luck!

Jenny.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jennifer B, great to hear from u! Geoff (hubby) goes on his CC course next weekend (we're hoping he'll then miraculously morph into a towing expert) then we're off to York on the 12th (10 days to go!). I'm so excited (but still slightly terrified) and can't wait to finally get started. Like you we had to wait a long time to get to this stage. We first decided to do this a year ago and spent months researching vans etc and finally bought ours last month. Can't believe I'll ever be at the stage to give other people tips, but I am sure we'll make many mistakes and maybe u can learn from those!

Angel

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Angel, Where is your husband doing his towing course? We are doing the CC course in York this weekend. If he's doing the same one we'll be terrified together!!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Annie, He's doing his in Consett in Durham. That's a shame as I'm sure he'd have appreciated a buddy! Good luck with yours. Wish I was doing it too but must try to keep costs down! I might do it next year if he thinks it's worth it. I've read the handbook thingy and it sounded v thorough!

Angel

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hello and welcome from another brand new and terrified member also in the north east, my partner is on his way to collect our first as we speak but we weren't as organised, looked into and bought within a week (hence he's going now to collect it as we didn't even have the new car or a towbar fitted) we're going away a little after you for our first outing and I am scared stiff too!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Marsha, I just keep reminding myself how many caravans we pass every weekend and think if they can all do it surely we can! A bit of optimism goes a long way I find! (I hope!). Good luck to you. Looking forward to sharing stories of our first escapades here afterwards!

Angel

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Marsha, I just keep reminding myself how many caravans we pass every weekend and think if they can all do it surely we can! A bit of optimism goes a long way I find! (I hope!). Good luck to you. Looking forward to sharing stories of our first escapades here afterwards!

Angel
Hi Angel,

Good luck with your impending trip! My better half has been towing for years, from small trailers up to our current 8 metre long twin axle van.

I'd never towed in my life before, and when i first did it, on our first van, a single axle, i was terrified!! I stuck with it though, thinking that if something happened to hubby meaning he couldn't tow, it would be down to me.

Since my first tow about 4 years ago, i've done the odd stretch when hubby has needed a rest, and each time felt a bit more comfortable. However, earlier this year, i gained my PCV (bus) licence through work, and this has helped me enormously. I know it's not quite the same, but i feel much more confident now when towing. We now argue over who's going to do the towing, as we both really enjoy it!

I would highly recommend you have a go, we need to show those men women can tow too!

(I just need to master the reverse now, thought i'd better add that before other half comments!!)

Lara.

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel,

Good luck with your impending trip! My better half has been towing for years, from small trailers up to our current 8 metre long twin axle van.

I'd never towed in my life before, and when i first did it, on our first van, a single axle, i was terrified!! I stuck with it though, thinking that if something happened to hubby meaning he couldn't tow, it would be down to me.

Since my first tow about 4 years ago, i've done the odd stretch when hubby has needed a rest, and each time felt a bit more comfortable. However, earlier this year, i gained my PCV (bus) licence through work, and this has helped me enormously. I know it's not quite the same, but i feel much more confident now when towing. We now argue over who's going to do the towing, as we both really enjoy it!

I would highly recommend you have a go, we need to show those men women can tow too!

(I just need to master the reverse now, thought i'd better add that before other half comments!!)

Lara.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lara, You are absoloutely right, I never thought that if anything happened to hubby when away in the van we'd be stranded! He's just finished day one of his course and reckons he's brilliant at reversing! I'll have to give it a go if only to shock him when I execute a perfect manouevre! haha who am I kidding?? I can't even reverse park my car!

Six days to go...... :->

Angel

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
hi angel

just enjoy and relax thats what it is all about. laugh at little situations that go wrong especially when it comes to putting up the awning. that is a real tester on how you cope. sit back and have a drink or two and you will get there in the end. dont worry about others looking on we didnt, and they usually come and help anyway. you will make some great friends along the way and also meet some quirky people who will also become your friends. join a caravan club and get better deals. just enjoy relax and chill out it doesnt have to cost a fortune its what you want out of it. we look on the internet for many sites and have never paid over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts