Breakaway cable

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When your caravan goes to a dealer or AWS approved technician, would they check the breakaway cable to see if it will work if activated? If so, what sort of checks would they do? Is there anyway you can check it yourself even if you have no DIY skills?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Mine just had a service and breakaway cable was given a "green light".
Not sure what actual checks they carry out on it though,whether its just a visual check(like we would do) or if they pull it and see if it activates the brakes from underneath.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As it is required to break, you can't fully check it, at best just test enough to see if it sets the handbrake.
I assume if it is still healthy, not frayed and routed correctly, it will work, and leave my trust in that. Having seen others actually work in front of me, I am confident the design itself is sound.
I only have ever purchased a genuine Alko replacement when an original had frayed a bit; I would not buy a non genuine spare.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
When your caravan goes to a dealer or AWS approved technician, would they check the breakaway cable to see if it will work if activated? If so, what sort of checks would they do? Is there anyway you can check it yourself even if you have no DIY skills?
Hi,
Our local dealer produces a list of service activities that he would carryout - perhaps somethimg you should ask for next time you arrange a service.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Once your cable is hitched to the towbar, Stand on the cable , jump on it until the brake on the van comes on, that way you know it will work. If the cable snaps, its no use , it is rated to 3500 kg before snapping.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Once your cable is hitched to the towbar, Stand on the cable , jump on it until the brake on the van comes on, that way you know it will work. If the cable snaps, its no use , it believe they are rated to 3.500 kg before snapping. (Correct me though)
Doing, bit more than 4 times means buy a new one, available fom vvv. Buya cable.co.caravan.con.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts