Breakdown cover in Europe again.

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to bring this up again but I have had no replies to my original post. I have done some more homework on the subject and have been surprised at the apparrent lack of consistent products available. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has actually used any of the companies I have found.

A summary of the situation first: - I travel in Europe with the caravan at least once a year for a month. Last year I assumed that my RAC Eurpoean cover would be enough for both car and van - wrong. Its OK if the car breaks down but not the van, although this is the same even in UK.

Mayday by CC seems great for the UK but cannot be extended into Europe unless you buy red Penant which is very expensive, although I acknowledge the glowing feedback it gets. My own travel insurance is (I believe) just as good so far as illness etc goes and it is half the price for a whole year of worldwide cover - not just 29 days in Europe.

I have found a company called 'Breakdown Direct' - they are backed by AXA Insurance and cover the car and caravan in Europe & UK for a whole year for £99 including home start etc. However they are, to me at least, an unknown quantity.

Would be grateful for any feedback on the company based on personal experience.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
S, I've been working on this problem this afternoon.

I have a 1994 Range Rover, which is my pride and joy, and a 1979 Royale Rangemaster, which is Herself's P&J.Because of the age of the outfit, I cannot get repatriation cover anywhere, and believe me, I've tried! The best I can get is European Breakdown, which will recover the outfit to a place of repair, but will not bring it home.The problem is that the cost of repatriation could exceed the value of the car.( the caravan isn't a problem, as it is unique, and valued accordingly;) This cover is

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Emmerson

I have decided to go with National Breakdown - http://www.internationalbreakdown.com/. Their policy seems very comprehensive and aside from the 'double journey cover' offered by the CC looks to be fairly comparable.

Their website says to contact them for vehicles more than 10 years old so it may be worth you giving them a call in your own circumstances.

That said, they told me that will not repatriate etc if the cost of doing so is more than the value of your car. My car is only a year old so hopefully this won't apply to me.

I'm going through their policy document (which you can download from their web site) tonight with a fine toothcomb - suggest you have a look and see if it 'fits'.

For those who might be interested I've done a comparison with others - for example - 29 days in Europe with caravan Club 'red Pennant' comes to

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
S, I've noted your comments, but still come back to the same thing - the value of the car! My old RR is in wonderful condition, and Herself and I love it to bits, and have no intention of changing it. We prefer to spend a little bit each year to keep it up to scratch, but obviously this does not increase its value. So, it would appear that if we want to caravan abroad, we either take the risk of it not being repatriated, or buy something newer!

We have a friend in the same predicament. Over the last three years he has spent over

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
It would seem that many of the recovery insurers indicate that the caravan/trailor is covered BUT when looked into they do not cover the van for repairs they do not repatriate the van unless the car is also unroadworthy,& if the car is an uneconomical repair due to an accident & will not be repatriated they will not recover the van

the CC & C&CC european cover seem to cover all eventualitys

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Having looked at the small print of numerous other continental breakdown policies we have opted for Red Pennant. One factor is that the van is 7.2 m, which is over the limit for some policies. The main factor, though, is reputation . Insurance is always expensive until you need to make a claim - then it seems like a bargain! The quality of the claims process is paramount. We have had both good (Direct Line) and bad (no names!)experiences. Red Pennant has a good reputation, but will cost us

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Victor I also have independant medical& personal cover so only need red pennant motoring cover (standard) for 45 days it is

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Uk car insurance covers you in Europe but ONLY for third party risks. Generally most insurance companies will extend your fully comp cover for short trips but charge for longer periods. This is why it's important to inform your insurance company when going abroad.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I know this is a silly question to some, so bear with me if you don't ask you don't know.

If you have Red Pennant ins (annual) it covers you for breakdown and personal insurance in Europe.

Question. As we are Europe (great britain) are we not covered in this country aswell?

If I bought annual insurance for breakdowns whilst towing my van anywhere in EUROPE then I would expect to be covered in this country aswell.

What is the point of having annual if when you decide to holiday at home your not covered?

Any answers .....

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Just jumped on CC site this is their wording,

Motoring Cover is available in a choice of three packages:

If you are planning to travel within Europe more than once in the next 12 months, you should consider our annual multi-trip option (maximum 66 days per trip).

Travel within Europe surely covers this country?

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I am a novice in this field , but MORE THAN state they will cover a caravan , and cover european trips.

On their FAQ board, a caravan is mentioned .

Hope this helps.

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
What about MORE THAN , they state they cover UK, Europe and even cover a caravan according to their website and the FAQ under breakdown cover .

Hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I suppose we need to ask caravan club.

I read the insurance is made by caravnners for caravanners. So surely these people would realise we want cover where ever we are, and not lots of separate policies.

Feb 7, 2008
Visit site
Just noticed this thread.

If you are in the Caravan and Camping Club then you can upgrade your RAC cover to the 'arrival' scheme which covers your caravan too for no extra charge.

If you have 'arrival' this also covers your caravan in Europe if you have European Cover and will repatriate your car and van. Just up graded my UK 'arrival' cover today to European Cover for summer hols to Holland. Costs extra

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Hi S,

Not sure if this is any help, but if you have not already got your caravan insurance then Towergate are doing a good deal just now, which includes 365day worldwide insurance with Free European RAC breakdown cover for their premium option. My rig is a 2007 SAxle Swift - paid less than

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts