breakdown cover

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
hi all could anyone point me in the right direction for breakdown cover whilst towing just checked with the aa who i have been with for years only to be told they will not cover the caravan seems a bit strange but i dont want to leave anything too chance any ideas please mick

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Caravan Club Mayday - even if you're not a member and add the joining fee to the premium, it's still good value.

It covers breakdown, accident and illness as well as double cover - eg after a breakdown/accident recovery back to site with car and then recovery to home for car & caravan, days later if necessary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mayday also do not put a limit on the size of caravan to be recovered, as many others do.

I also have Kia Assist freebe with my Sorento, they cover caravan recovery but not a big twin axle like mine.

Jim

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Mick do you have a very large caravan? I have been picking the brains of a lady on my team at work who has a caravan, and her cover for the caravan is with the AA. She says it has to be added on as an extra tho. That's who I'm with at the moment for my car breakdown recovery and will only have a small caravan so am hoping they will cover me. The lady in question tows with a 4x4 and I think they're caravan must be quite big as their 19 year old son isn't allowed to drive the outfit on his category B only licence as it's over 3500kg.

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
I've recently joined Mayday recovery as I feel its good value for money.

Like many of you my caravan has an Alko stabiliser...do Green Flag's towtrucks have compatible towballs???

Perhaps I should have enquired before I joined.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Labradorlass - the Green Flag truck that brought us home from Scotland last year had a selection of towballs. CC wardens simply clean the towball on the tractor if they need to move anyone on site with a stabiliser hitch.

It pays to check that it is clean before hitching.

As an aside, don't be too keen to help Green Flag - I "helped" by connecting the 12N plug into the truck's socket - wrong ! - the trucks use 24v with a trailer board - I nearly blew all my bulbs.

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
Labradorlass - the Green Flag truck that brought us home from Scotland last year had a selection of towballs. CC wardens simply clean the towball on the tractor if they need to move anyone on site with a stabiliser hitch.

As an aside, don't be too keen to help Green Flag - I "helped" by connecting the 12N plug into the truck's socket - wrong ! - the trucks use 24v with a trailer board - I nearly blew all my bulbs.
Thanks for the info Roger...I'm off up to Scotland myself this summer...hope my post isn't an omen!!!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

No omen - unless you pull out in front of someone as I did !!

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The real question to ask is what happens if your caravan breaks down- say you lose a wheel bearing. I have joined RAC through the camping and caravanning club because they will recover the caravan. I'm a member but they didn't want to know my number. I got the phone number from the CCC web site. The cover is different through CCC so you need to use the proper phone number. (We're members of the caravan club as well but I found their description of mayday cover to be unclear.)

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
I'm with green flag and after looking at this I phoned to check that I was covered. They said the maximum size of caravan they will tow is 7.0M by 3.0M by 2.3M. Unfortunately mine is a twin axle and longer than 7.0M so I need a new breakdown company. Anybody know one for twin axles.

regards

Ian

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm with green flag and after looking at this I phoned to check that I was covered. They said the maximum size of caravan they will tow is 7.0M by 3.0M by 2.3M. Unfortunately mine is a twin axle and longer than 7.0M so I need a new breakdown company. Anybody know one for twin axles.

regards

Ian
Hi Ian I used to wrk for a green flag contractor, i doubt if you broke down they would measure your caravan unless it looks massive. Is it a Hobby or similar make [like travellers use]? if it looks like a 'normal' caravan i bet you'll be fine.

Having said that all you need is one stropy driver who knows what the limits are and carries a tape measure to ruin you bad day!

Gareth

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
My car's insured with CIS (Coop insurance Soc) and recovery of car and caravan in UK and the EU is included. Or so the paperwork says...

Bryn

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Mick do you have a very large caravan? I have been picking the brains of a lady on my team at work who has a caravan, and her cover for the caravan is with the AA. She says it has to be added on as an extra tho. That's who I'm with at the moment for my car breakdown recovery and will only have a small caravan so am hoping they will cover me. The lady in question tows with a 4x4 and I think they're caravan must be quite big as their 19 year old son isn't allowed to drive the outfit on his category B only licence as it's over 3500kg.
thanks i will double check with the aa

Jan 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi Michael,

Saw your comment last week. We were concerned as we are with AA. They came out to us just before Xmas when our caravan fog light was tripping all lights on car and van.

We asked the AA man outside Halfords on Sunday afternoon and he said they do cover caravans. He hasn't been told any different. He took a spare battery to a caravan last week.

Check this again with AA. Maybe you had a grumpy telephone operator that hates been stuck behind caravans!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chattie Cathy and others

I'm with CC Mayday which is operated by Green Flag. I was told by a Green Flag driver I was chatting to, as he took me to a garage after a breakdown, that the CC Mayday policy comes under the auspices of the commercial vehicle section of GF. That is the part that deals with large vehicles and that is why they deal with longer caravans compared with ordinary GFlag. I don't know if this is true or not but certainly they do cover large 'vans via Mayday.

Tim

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
I have recently made an enquiry of AA as I have car breakdown via add on with my bank account at Lloyds..I have email reply stating my caravan is covered when I am towing it!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We can confirm that Lloyds TSB AA covers the caravan as well as the car as we called them out in October when our caravan lights didn't work - it was just a blown fuse.

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Thats something I hadn't thought of - Will a breakdown organisation come out to you if it's just your CARAVAN that's broken down? Ie, flat tyre on the caravan and the car is still working correctly? I was more concerned with if the car breaks down with the caravan on the back, then both would need to be recovered, didn't think of the caravan breaking down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts