Breakdown in Italy - NOT over yet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many of you may have read our account of our breakdown in Italy in August. Although we got safely home by hire-tow cars courtesy of CC Red Pennant we left our car to be repatriated from a garage near Rome 5 weeks ago today.

CC advised us last week after lots of phone calls that car was being brought to Liverpool Vxhall dealer Lookers for repair on Thursday by a company called On Time!! However, said that they could not give a time or even tell when an ETA or contact us when it got there. I want to check over car and retrieve our belongings including 2 bikes on rear carrier.

Thursday came and went despite several phone calls from me of increasing annoyance. CCRP promised on Thursday evening car would be there early today, Friday. Phoned Lookers Vxh dealer at 9.30 no car.

Phoned CC said look into it and phone me back. CCRP admitted that car repatriation had been sub-contracted to another company and having difficulty tracing its whereabouts. 11.00 no phone call phoned CC again. No news - not heard from On Time. Phoned 12.45 Lookers - no car. Phoned CCRP - operative said no news and nothing he could I protested and spoke to manager Phil. Phil said actively trying to find out what was going on.

15.00 I phone Phil again. Bad news sub-contractor used by On Time had lost the ignition key to our car and so it was still in Purfleet Essex as he could not unload it in Liverpool without key. I drove over to Lookers with spare key and car is now promised for first thing in morning Saturday.

Phil was at least apologetic and offered to extend 10 days car hire we are allowed whilst waiting for our car. Wife and I have tried to manage with only one car and save 10 day car hire allowance as we did not know when our will be back and repaired.

Not really the service I had hoped for from Red Pennant as I had read good reports.

I wait tomorrow with interest.

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like Victor Meldrew I JUST DON'T BELIEVE IT.

Checked with CCRP this morning - joy of joys the car has arrived at Lookers. Voice mail from carrier company to say that left car in Lookers carpark but advising I get the bikes off the back of the car asap. Car keys left at Lookers Security - so my special journey yesterday to take spare keys was unnecessary. Was the lost keys just a story to justify the delay.

Wife and I collected a hire car, Vauxhall Zafira to allow room for bikes and all our other junk and rushed over to Lookers.

Pleased to see bikes still intact on back of car and no obvious damage BUT when I got around the front discovered the windscreen was smashed. Not a small crack bu large area of cracks - new windscreen needed.

CCRP said to go ahead and ask Lookers to repair windscreen and they will take it up with transport company on Monday.

The saga DRAGS on.

Tim

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
omg poor you is CC red pennant like the RAC?.

god you and your wife have been so patient.

you dont have to pay access for your window screen do you?

maybe if the car had been recovered when it was supposed to then it might not be smashed now.

good luck and keep us posted.

jo-anne

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Tim,

I can hardly believe what I am reading!!!!

Can it get any worse?

I can only hope that you are compensated for all the hassle that you have had.have you got legal cover with your insurance?

Maureen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts