Bring back the Moderator

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reading many other threads, i sense there is increasing annoyance with having to wade through all sorts of trivia when trying to read something serious - see, for example, the current thread on Discovery 3 in the Tow Cars topic. The real meat is in only one or two of the postings.

While not aginst some humour, most of what appears is childish at best. I had no problem with the c.24 hour delay in postings with the previous site structure, as every poting was meaningful (and some not without humuour as well).

All this means researching a topic from back postings can be very time consuming and frustrating particularly to those of us still condemmed to dial-up rather than broadband - I resent my time being taken to download so much rubbish.

In the past, I have enjoyed and benefitted from information received, and other have been kind enough to appreciate my own contributions, but the "noise to signal" ratio is becoming far too high.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
RAY, whilst i agree with you totally that some posters seem to take great pride in turning a subject to something they agree with which ussually diverts from the original posting, i find it very difficult to understand how we could ever stop this from happening unless the moderater becomes censor which in turn would deny a person of his / her opinion. the discovery 3 posting (or any 4x4 posting) is always going to bring out the anti i can't afford one so you should'nt have one brigade and as such you are going to get the reasonable people amongst us defending what they think is right. we all have opinions that we think are right even if misguided, only recently i posted a message that i was adviced on by a senior traffic police officer only to be completly blown away and proven wrong by a number of people on this site, lesson learnt. I resonded to the discovery posting due to stinky petes responce as i found it to be vulger and very misguided and typical of someone who has done little research in to a subject, my responce did go off the track of the original posting and i appologise if this offended you but it is human nature to defend your believes. I note that some posters have started to put "serious" at the heading to draw attention to the fact that they want a positive responce so there does appear to be a slight problem with the actions of some, however i am sure they will argue that it is a free world and theire opinion is as important as the next persons, and i tend to agree, to a point, lets hope that with you bringing up the subject we can slow down the level of poor responders and get back to some sort of normality whereby we get the advice we need but do not loose the fun facter that caravanning is all about after all that is why most of us are in the hobby to have great fun on site and to keep in touch with the many good people we meet on site, whether that be by phone, letter or computer. best wishes and have a great summer, JOHN.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with both you and John there appears too many time wasters with no better thing to do than ridicule the serious minded contributer to this forum. I have raised this point previously and had my knuckles rapped so I am glad to see that there are now contibuters who agree with my way of thinking. As John has stated perhaps these people will now take the hint and realise that there are genuine contributions made which require genuine response.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin,we've disagreed in the past on this subject ,as at the time I was posting a few spoof comments which in general got a favourable reception.Since the "am I the only one"debate I have 'watered down' my postings because I didnt want to be associated with the more offensive or down right stupid ones which seem to be on the increase.As Ive said on other posts recently humour is not about picking on people because of ability,gender or preference ,but this has become common over the last few weeks and today a series of pathetic posts from our friend the captain shows that all the comments over the last few days have had no effect.I think it is time for the Moderator to act(he/she gave me a ticking off today so is obviously following events)and make this a Kangeroo free zone!......PS hope your knuckles are better.Brian(poacher turned game keeper)(st albans)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The captain is just a spoilt kid trying to get attention. The only way to deal with it is to ignore him and perhaps he will go and play somewhere else.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I certainly agree with Ray C on his last point. However what really offended me was the vindictive attack by a couple of contributors on a guy that I think most of us realised had a real problem.

Very bravely he and his wife confirmed the situation and thanked those that came to his support. What I find totally offensive is that with the true facts in the public domain Capt Kanga did not find the maturity to be able to simply say sorry.

Would it be acceptable to go down the street laughing or poking fun at a guy in a wheelchair or someone with a speach impediment?

No obviously not.

So why should we tolarate such bad behaviour?

I do think the moderator should have steped in. By not doing so they have effectivly endoresed this appalling predjudice.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I agree wiht Brian and Clive,I too have been a bit silly on this forum but have never launched a vindictive attack as was made on Mark,I think the first comment mentioning no names(u know who u are)was the most offensive and the fact that they made no apology even though they think they were mis-interpreted was wrong!I too dont want too be put in this category of people so like Brian am going to be on my best behaviour,Im proud to be big enough to say sorry for my mistakes !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I agree wiht Brian and Clive,I too have been a bit silly on this forum but have never launched a vindictive attack as was made on Mark,I think the first comment mentioning no names(u know who u are)was the most offensive and the fact that they made no apology even though they think they were mis-interpreted was wrong!I too dont want too be put in this category of people so like Brian am going to be on my best behaviour,Im proud to be big enough to say sorry for my mistakes !!
To be fair Tina - I cannot for the life of me see why you needed to appologise - ok the humour was a bit like watching Benny Hill - not my personal favourite but certainly not offensive.

I mis-wrote a couple of things (being a a man I cannot multi-task you see) in the past and was genuinely surprised that what I meant to write had come out quite different!

Its easily done. A simple appology was given and accepted - no harm done. It is not difficult is it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Hi Tina - although you state you have made funny comments in the past I think you just went with the flow of things with no thought of creating offence. With the banter you have given in the past I must agree with Clive that there is nothing for you to apologise for. I have noticed on a previous forum you have apologised and I admire you for this. Good luck and enjoy your caravaning and hopefully you will make many more contributions to what can be a very helpful and informative forum. Keep up the good work.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

thanx colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think "this person" made a vindictive attack. He simply made a remark on the spelling. He did not know that chap had dyslexia.

You must feel very noble and holeyer than thou to be defending Mark (even though he has not asked for it) at every possible oppertunity.

I would love the old days of posting to the moderator to come back. This would stop personal attacks and time waisting threads such as this.

Captain, I know you made a mistake and the houndings from these most, most honourable (sarcastic) people only prevent you from appologising. Keep up the good work mate and if we ever meet on a site, come over for a beer and we'll have a good old laugh at their expense.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think "this person" made a vindictive attack. He simply made a remark on the spelling. He did not know that chap had dyslexia.

You must feel very noble and holeyer than thou to be defending Mark (even though he has not asked for it) at every possible oppertunity.

I would love the old days of posting to the moderator to come back. This would stop personal attacks and time waisting threads such as this.

Captain, I know you made a mistake and the houndings from these most, most honourable (sarcastic) people only prevent you from appologising. Keep up the good work mate and if we ever meet on a site, come over for a beer and we'll have a good old laugh at their expense.
Wow - what a meeting that would be!!

An "anti" with more opinion than knowledge meets up with a guy who enjoys insulting people less fortunate than himself.

A match made in heaven - I am sure you will be very happy together.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tut Tut Clive, have you not learn't anything from all the recent postings .......... it's time to stop these vindictive attacks on others. there was nothing in stinky Pete's posting that would offend anyone, he was only giving his opinion, to which he is entitled.

Stinky, look forward to the Beer!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
And I am not allowed to disagree with his opinions obviously
ISN'T IT TIME CERTAIN FORUM USERS STOPPED POSTING IRRELEVANT MESSAGES.

I know some people have responded angrily to messages they felt were improper, abusive, rude etc. So can it all stop now, please.

I am coming under pressure to delete entire threads that have been hijacked. That would be a shame as the original sensible question and answers would be lost in the process.

This forum is for caravanners to exchange help and advice on caravan related issues.

PLEASE DON'T SPOIL IT WITH BICKERING. THANK YOU.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ISN'T IT TIME CERTAIN FORUM USERS STOPPED POSTING IRRELEVANT MESSAGES.

I know some people have responded angrily to messages they felt were improper, abusive, rude etc. So can it all stop now, please.

I am coming under pressure to delete entire threads that have been hijacked. That would be a shame as the original sensible question and answers would be lost in the process.

This forum is for caravanners to exchange help and advice on caravan related issues.

PLEASE DON'T SPOIL IT WITH BICKERING. THANK YOU.
Moderator, It would in my opinion be a great service if you caved into the pressure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
RAY, whilst i agree with you totally that some posters seem to take great pride in turning a subject to something they agree with which ussually diverts from the original posting, i find it very difficult to understand how we could ever stop this from happening unless the moderater becomes censor which in turn would deny a person of his / her opinion. the discovery 3 posting (or any 4x4 posting) is always going to bring out the anti i can't afford one so you should'nt have one brigade and as such you are going to get the reasonable people amongst us defending what they think is right. we all have opinions that we think are right even if misguided, only recently i posted a message that i was adviced on by a senior traffic police officer only to be completly blown away and proven wrong by a number of people on this site, lesson learnt. I resonded to the discovery posting due to stinky petes responce as i found it to be vulger and very misguided and typical of someone who has done little research in to a subject, my responce did go off the track of the original posting and i appologise if this offended you but it is human nature to defend your believes. I note that some posters have started to put "serious" at the heading to draw attention to the fact that they want a positive responce so there does appear to be a slight problem with the actions of some, however i am sure they will argue that it is a free world and theire opinion is as important as the next persons, and i tend to agree, to a point, lets hope that with you bringing up the subject we can slow down the level of poor responders and get back to some sort of normality whereby we get the advice we need but do not loose the fun facter that caravanning is all about after all that is why most of us are in the hobby to have great fun on site and to keep in touch with the many good people we meet on site, whether that be by phone, letter or computer. best wishes and have a great summer, JOHN.
Hi JOHN G I have been posting for several years as JohnG .So long as you continue to use capitals(shouting) there will be no confusion so long as people know that the quiet on is the "old" one in every sense of the word!!Regards JohnG

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Moderator, It would in my opinion be a great service if you caved into the pressure.
Having started this thread, I for one am quite prepared to trust the moderator to moderate (or some will say "censor") the postings to ensure the forum sticks to it's purpose.

Before the change in this site in Spring this year, this is what happened and it was quite acceptable. True there was a delay in submitting a posting and it appearing, but this was not too terrible and certainly better than some of the rubbish we have to plough through now.

Totally support Moderators request for the "silly stuff" to stop now, but do not see why it is necessary to delete a complete thread.I don't know how the site is managed, or who - if anyone - pays the moderator - but someone has to be trusted to do this.

The recent threads on inusrance have shown that the site owners will, eventually, speak up in what was clearly a very difficult situation for them, but 95% of the content of the site is not contentious in this way, and - unfortunately - has been shown to need a filter.

I stick to my original point - bring back the Moderator. If the subsequent content shows he/she is not necessary then fine, it is a nice easy job, but until this is proved, please spare us all the froth which is not about caravanning but about personal egos and points scoring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts