British Gas acting as a bank on my behalf

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Octopus sent me an Email on the 26th of Last month saying my DD payments would be increased to £367. The next day I went to the website and returned my DD payments to £300, today, 2nd April they took £367 . I double checked all the information, I had failed to notice that it would take 5 working days for the DD to be activated.
Need to go to spec savers.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Octopus sent me an Email on the 26th of Last month saying my DD payments would be increased to £367. The next day I went to the website and returned my DD payments to £300, today, 2nd April they took £367 . I double checked all the information, I had failed to notice that it would take 5 working days for the DD to be activated.
Need to go to spec savers.

They have never put my payments up. Only ever suggested they be adjusted with my consent.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We left BGAS in Feb 2023 and In Nov we were advised that we were due to refund of £200. We are still waiting for the refund despite chasing them up twice about the refund, but all you get is a run around.

I wonder how many millions of pounds that are rightfully belonging to consumers suppliers are holding onto and also collecting a fat sum in interest on those millions? 😡

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
We have just (as in yesterday) moved from Scottish Power to Octopus (battery storage being installed in 10 days so want to access their super-cheap middle of the night rate)
I am about £220 in credit with SP. They will NOT be hanging on to that for very long!

In your situation I woukd be on the phone/email every other day hounding them. Tell them as of next Friday you are charging interest at 8% on the money they owe you.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
This thread just prompted me to check my account with Scottish Power. I'm almost £500 in credit but noticed a flag against my direct debit amount (£97 per month). When I clicked it I was taken to a page recommending I increase it to £140 per month to cover a projected shortfall .............. jog on Scottish Power, not happening!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
This thread just prompted me to check my account with Scottish Power. I'm almost £500 in credit but noticed a flag against my direct debit amount (£97 per month). When I clicked it I was taken to a page recommending I increase it to £140 per month to cover a projected shortfall .............. jog on Scottish Power, not happening!
They're all as bad - I've been with Octopus for several years and operate the account on the basis of having a zero balance on the anniversary of when I joined them - back in October I set the Direct Debit to £182/month but after the recent Cornwall Insight projections I wanted to reduce it to £173/month but Octopus recommend I increase it to £250/month.

In Octopus's case I think their software is designed to pressure customers to maintain a credit balance at all times rather than a zero balance over the year as a whole.

We need Ofgem to force the power suppliers to pay interest on credit balances of at least the bank rate - but pigs might fly!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I am sure I have said this before but.........

Scottish Power take (or in my case up until yesterday did take) regular readings from my smart meter, BUT they don't update your account at the same time, they only do that once a quarter.

However........ if YOU submit readings on line (like we have always done) that forces their computer system into updating your account. I have no idea if BG etc operate in the same way, but it's worth checking!

Like I said I have just switched to Octopus because I have solar panels and I am having batteries installed in a couple of weeks to make best use of both. I am happy to remain slightly in credit over the year. Previously with Scottish Power my dual fuel DD was £100 per month (we are careful with our usage, there's just the 2 of us in a modernish 3 bed semi with loads of insulation etc) so I reckon shortly my energy costs will be neutral, especially as I also get a FIT payment for the electricity I generate, even if I use (or shortly save) it.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They're all as bad - I've been with Octopus for several years and operate the account on the basis of having a zero balance on the anniversary of when I joined them - back in October I set the Direct Debit to £182/month but after the recent Cornwall Insight projections I wanted to reduce it to £173/month but Octopus recommend I increase it to £250/month.

In Octopus's case I think their software is designed to pressure customers to maintain a credit balance at all times rather than a zero balance over the year as a whole.

We need Ofgem to force the power suppliers to pay interest on credit balances of at least the bank rate - but pigs might fly!
I just adjusted mine as I have too much credit. I dropped it to £80. It is not a problem to do this, nor should it be. Mine recommends £210 . I don't think they are trying to suggest I pay that amount. Just that that should be my average payment.

But if I am correct, they should make that much clearer.

John

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The major issue I think is that Octopus etc use "averages" to set DD levels, and in order to get an average there has to be highs and lows.
It's easy enough to change your Octopus DD amount on their portal. I have qalready done so as they wanted it set at around £150 where I have been paying £100 and still been in credit.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With Bulb, in April I was paying direct Debit of £300 pm. In June I dropped that to £250, and started build back up a credit of £100 pm. Now I am with Octopus, and a new boiler fitted, not a huge saving from the 39 year old one we had, as yet but dropped DD to £200, and using the credit at £100 pm, so I think I should be on line to drop my DD down again in May to £150, and then start build up credit again for next year.
In theory all good but it all depends on the cost of the gas and electric per KW.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I'm running Tracker on Octopus for my gas.
Unit price peaked today at 5p, still 2.5p below what my previous rate was.
Tracker for me is the way forward.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have just (as in yesterday) moved from Scottish Power to Octopus (battery storage being installed in 10 days so want to access their super-cheap middle of the night rate)
I am about £220 in credit with SP. They will NOT be hanging on to that for very long!

In your situation I woukd be on the phone/email every other day hounding them. Tell them as of next Friday you are charging interest at 8% on the money they owe you.
Have you ever tried contacting BG by phone! They have no email contact unless one of their agents contacts you, in which case you can email back, assuming that agent is still dealing with your query. The chat will often put you at number 390+ Last summer they put my BIL onto two new online accounts that were deposited under my login details as I had been acting on his behal via LPOA. Problem was that our energy account disappeared as did our rental property account too. It took until early December until some semblance of order was established. Then a debt recovery company contacted BIL to seek reimbursement of a BG bill for around £25-30. Problem was the debt was incurred after his house sale had completed. Clearly the new owners had not transferred the energy to them. This is still going on despite providing the debt recovery outfit the closing statement. It’s now at the stage that I’ve told them I will complain to the Regulator/Ombudsman, or the Solicitors Regulation outfit if they don’t stop writing to BIL and continue to ignore the evidence I’ve provided. I’ve also got a parallel issue with them pursuing a bad debt with EON. Heaven knows how some who may not have online skills, or may not be able to wait for 40;minutes on a PAYG mobile, or have health restrictions, can pursue their queries. It must be a nightmare for them if they have no one to help them.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Scottish Power take (or in my case up until yesterday did take) regular readings from my smart meter, BUT they don't update your account at the same time, they only do that once a quarter.

However........ if YOU submit readings on line (like we have always done) that forces their computer system into updating your account. I have no idea if BG etc operate in the same way, but it's worth checking!

Like I said I have just switched to Octopus because I have solar panels and I am having batteries installed in a couple of weeks to make best use of both. I am happy to remain slightly in credit over the year. Previously with Scottish Power my dual fuel DD was £100 per month (we are careful with our usage, there's just the 2 of us in a modernish 3 bed semi with loads of insulation etc) so I reckon shortly my energy costs will be neutral, especially as I also get a FIT payment for the electricity I generate, even if I use (or shortly save) it.
Our BG account is formally updated quarterly but you can input meter readings at any time. We are £220 in credit and pay DD of £120pm for a four bed detached.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

We moved away from BGAS in Feb 2023 and expected an automatic refund. I then forgot about it until I got the letter in Nov 2023.

We have phoned and spoken with an agent and have also used the chat system and are still in the same position that we were as last year with no refund.

I have contacted Which to see what we can do next to get this refund as normally before escalating it to the Ombudsman you need that "final" letter rejecting your request. I think BGAS know this which is why they are stalling.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We moved away from BGAS in Feb 2023 and expected an automatic refund. I then forgot about it until I got the letter in Nov 2023.

We have phoned and spoken with an agent and have also used the chat system and are still in the same position that we were as last year with no refund.

I have contacted Which to see what we can do next to get this refund as normally before escalating it to the Ombudsman you need that "final" letter rejecting your request. I think BGAS know this which is why they are stalling.
Have you tried their online complaint procedure. I’ve had some success with that prior to last summers fiasco on my account.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried their online complaint procedure. I’ve had some success with that prior to last summers fiasco on my account.
Yep and got the normal run around when asking if an official complaint had been raised. The adviser would not confirm if a complaint had been raised.

As I thought I may have misunderstood and had the chat emailed to me and on reading it two or three times they definitely did not confirm that the complaint had been raised.

However on more than one occasion i was told to phone another number and on checking that was the first number I phoned when I got the letter hence the going around in circles.

Very frustrating especially when each time you make contact if you are lucky it can take over half and hour to get through to the adviser with a terrible accent somewhere the other side of the world!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just check our payment with Octopus we are paying £252 per month and in credit £400 but we might adjust it to £200 DD in April .

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Just check our payment with Octopus we are paying £252 per month and in credit £400 but we might adjust it to £200 DD in April .
I switch my DD with Octopus almost monthly. At present it's £111.11 matched roughly to my last months gas cost. In summer it's normally £6.66 as there is a decent amount going in from solar export to cover the bills.
Octopus have never asked me to raise or change it. We average about £444 in credit during the winter so the following month is always easily covered.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep and got the normal run around when asking if an official complaint had been raised. The adviser would not confirm if a complaint had been raised.

As I thought I may have misunderstood and had the chat emailed to me and on reading it two or three times they definitely did not confirm that the complaint had been raised.

However on more than one occasion i was told to phone another number and on checking that was the first number I phoned when I got the letter hence the going around in circles.

Very frustrating especially when each time you make contact if you are lucky it can take over half and hour to get through to the adviser with a terrible accent somewhere the other side of the world!
I said “ online complaint “ procedure which allows you to submit your complaint and very quickly you receive an email confirming receipt with a unique reference number.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I said “ online complaint “ procedure which allows you to submit your complaint and very quickly you receive an email confirming receipt with a unique reference number.
I am not aware that there is an email address for an Online complaint? Going to the Complaint page shows me that the account is closed and that I am £200 in credit and nothing else. It does say "(Unless you're told otherwise, this will be refunded two weeks after your final bill)" Final bill came in March 2023! I have not changed accounts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not aware that there is an email address for an Online complaint? Going to the Complaint page shows me that the account is closed and that I am £200 in credit and nothing else. It does say "(Unless you're told otherwise, this will be refunded two weeks after your final bill)" Final bill came in March 2023! I have not changed accounts.
I’ve said previously that there is no email address. #62?But you can submit an online written complaint from their website. They then come back to you via a non reply email with confirmation your complaint has been received. In your complaint submission you can opt to be contacted by email, phone, sms and I think by letter.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve said previously that there is no email address. #62?But you can submit an online written complaint from their website. They then come back to you via a non reply email with confirmation your complaint has been received. In your complaint submission you can opt to be contacted by email, phone, sms and I think by letter.
Nope you can only use the Chat system. Remember although I can login, my account is closed.

As said, what i cannot understand is why they simply do not refund back to the account? It would save a lot of hassle.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Nope you can only use the Chat system. Remember although I can login, my account is closed.

As said, what i cannot understand is why they simply do not refund back to the account? It would save a lot of hassle.
Try resolver.

A first class free service.

John

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts