British Gas acting as a bank on my behalf

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can still contact them online even if an account is closed. Try this which I took from their complaints process.
You need the Enquiry link but admittedly they don’t make it easy. Or kill a calf and goose and write to Rotherham!
IMG_3254.png

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Received an email from BGAS stating

"I tried to call you on 10 January 2024, however I was unable to reach you as it appears the telephone number we hold on file is incorrect. I’ve therefore taken this opportunity to write to you. As such, I wanted to let you know that your complaint has been resolved.
Following on from your recent contact with us, I understand you invested more time than we’d expect speaking with us about the issue. However, I’m pleased to confirm I’ve now processed the final account refund of £200.00. Please allow 7-14 days for this to be received via cheque.

Not sure how it can be resolved when I have not yet received any cheque? Not sure why a cheque when they probably still have all my account details. If I owed them money I bet they would have already debited our account. However I guess I have to be grateful I have managed to get my own money back unlike the poor sub postmasters!

I have not been paid by cheque for several or more years and as the nearest branch is at least 14 miles away, unsure if there is another way to bank the cheque?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

"I tried to call you on 10 January 2024, however I was unable to reach you as it appears the telephone number we hold on file is incorrect. I’ve therefore taken this opportunity to write to you. As such, I wanted to let you know that your complaint has been resolved.
Following on from your recent contact with us, I understand you invested more time than we’d expect speaking with us about the issue. However, I’m pleased to confirm I’ve now processed the final account refund of £200.00. Please allow 7-14 days for this to be received via cheque.

Not sure how it can be resolved when I have not yet received any cheque? Not sure why a cheque when they probably still have all my account details. If I owed them money I bet they would have already debited our account. However I guess I have to be grateful I have managed to get my own money back unlike the poor sub postmasters!

I have not been paid by cheque for several or more years and as the nearest branch is at least 14 miles away, unsure if there is another way to bank the cheque?
At least you are close to a resolution on your refund.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

With Barclays on line banking , cheques can be banked easily from the comfort of your own home

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And before we forget BGAS can even more simply issue a credit to you account, the same account they take your money from. Is life that simple😎🤪🤪

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And before we forget BGAS can even more simply issue a credit to you account, the same account they take your money from. Is life that simple😎🤪🤪
Didn’t Buckman close his BG account. I closed my BIL account and cancelled DD in order to bring BG to heel but it couldn’t then be reset and accept a refund.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Didn’t Buckman close his BG account. I closed my BIL account and cancelled DD in order to bring BG to heel but it couldn’t then be reset and accept a refund.
I have closed accounts previously with other suppliers and had refunds paid directly back to the account. Even if the account is close, the bank will them forward it onto the new account at a different bank.

We are with Nationwide so unsure about the cheque situation, but on checking it can be done at a NW ATM or you can post the cheque? Seems a 28 mile round trip is needed whichever way we look at it.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have closed accounts previously with other suppliers and had refunds paid directly back to the account. Even if the account is close, the bank will them forward it onto the new account at a different bank.

We are with Nationwide so unsure about the cheque situation, but on checking it can be done at a NW ATM or you can post the cheque? Seems a 28 mile round trip is needed whichever way we look at it.
Have you looked at the Nationwide app?

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You can pay a cheque into NW by post.

and hope that it does not go missing in the post? :unsure: I think travelling to the bank is the better option and we can find something to do in the locality. Hopefully not blow the £200 as need it for the new battery. LOL! :LOL:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I’m sure that you won’t have to make a special trip just combine it with other business or shopping.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I guess that banks prefer apps to websites for security reasons.

John
Plus to remotely pay a cheque in requires a camera integrated into the process which will rule out the use of a pc. NatWest app works on phone and iPad but my MAC is only online to the bank website.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Plus to remotely pay a cheque in requires a camera integrated into the process which will rule out the use of a pc. NatWest app works on phone and iPad but my MAC is only online to the bank website.
I don't see why a camera would rule out a PC. Mine has one. I can log onto my Barclays account online. But getting through security is massive, and when there, I am not sure what facilities are available to me. I used to use it before the apps improved. IPad and Phone. Dead easy, and secure.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't see why a camera would rule out a PC. Mine has one. I can log onto my Barclays account online. But getting through security is massive, and when there, I am not sure what facilities are available to me. I used to use it before the apps improved. IPad and Phone. Dead easy, and secure.

John
Try using the PC camera and I’d be interested to see how you get on. My computer is a MAC MINI about the size of a driveway block and no camera. The camera I have sits on top of a DELL monitor so even if NatWest online did do cheque paying in trying to hold up a piece of paper to get a decent image wouldn’t be easy. I think the app based systems have software in built designed to recognise the cheque when presented to the phone or iPad camera.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I guess that banks prefer apps to websites for security reasons.

John
Being old fashion and security conscious at present we have no intention of adding banking apps to our phones at present. After all millions of people who do not have Smartphones seem to manage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Being old fashion and security conscious at present we have no intention of adding banking apps to our phones at present. After all millions of people who do not have Smartphones seem to manage.
“Seeming to manage” is getting increasingly difficult for more and more people as banks and building societies have moved to online/app/telephone services and their premises are closed down.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There seems to be an increasing trend among organisations to develop smartphone apps to run under Android or IOS and no longer bother with Windows-based PCs - this is a problem for those of us who can't cope with miniature screens and keyboards!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
To log into our bank account, on the NW website we need to enter a PIN code which then generates a security number that is sent to my phone. I then enter the security number to access our account. Very secure.

Unfortunately if you try this on the phone the security number is sent to the message app on the phone and if you go to the message app, the website clears and goes back to requesting the original PIN number.

I have tried this with other websites, not NW, where a security code is sent to the phone, but you cannot access the message without being logged out of the website or app you are trying to access. However I may be doing something wrong?

However what is the point of the extra security code if you are trying to log into an app if it is sent to the same unit i.e. on your phone you are trying to access an account and need the additional security code which is then sent to the same phone. Not very secure? I think we prefer being old fashion and out of touch when it comes to banking apps.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is a list of banks that allow pay of cheques into your account, but most if not all are app based. Re Roger’s post above it’s not just Windows that is affected I cannot pay cheques in via my online account on the Mac, but can do using phones or tablets.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To log into our bank account, on the NW website we need to enter a PIN code which then generates a security number that is sent to my phone. I then enter the security number to access our account. Very secure.

Unfortunately if you try this on the phone the security number is sent to the message app on the phone and if you go to the message app, the website clears and goes back to requesting the original PIN number.

I have tried this with other websites, not NW, where a security code is sent to the phone, but you cannot access the message without being logged out of the website or app you are trying to access. However I may be doing something wrong?

However what is the point of the extra security code if you are trying to log into an app if it is sent to the same unit i.e. on your phone you are trying to access an account and need the additional security code which is then sent to the same phone. Not very secure? I think we prefer being old fashion and out of touch when it comes to banking apps.
Something strange happening with the random number to messages. On my phone/ iPad when the number comes through it is displayed without me having to go into messages. So if I am wanting to log in to Amazon for example it displays whilst I’m on the website login page. But some websites require me to key in the number whilst others allow me just to press the displayed numbers and they go straight into the sign in box.

I don’t have banking apps on the phone but my wife does. She initially installed them as she was going abroad and the apps give instant facility to stop a card or the account without having to try and make phone calls. Now she checks her accounts every morning as she drinks the mug of tea I make her.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here is a list of banks that allow pay of cheques into your account, but most if not all are app based. Re Roger’s post above it’s not just Windows that is affected I cannot pay cheques in via my online account on the Mac, but can do using phones or tablets.

Thanks for the list, but we only have a NW account.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I can't see the problem about driving 12 miles to get to the bank. Do some shopping at the same time, fill the car with fuel, have a snack lunch out. Gets you out for some fresh air. I think you are making excuses for not getting out. My wife tends to do that, so I get ready to go and tell her I will not need any lunch. She is ready to go very quickly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts