Broken Key.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Whilst inspecting my new van, the only key snapped in half in a front lock. I have the number, so presumably can get replacement keys from a dealer. (Avondale are sadly in receivership.) Any tips as to how I can get the broken bit out?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Guy

This happened on my Castleton Rovanna some years ago.

I removed the lock. Ensured the key position was fuly open or closed . Doesn't matter. They are the only two ways the key can be removed anyway.

Liberally dused in Plus gas penetrating oil, much better than WD40 for this application.Tried tapping it out no success. LUckily this lock had a brass pin which held the barrel in the lock. Carefully removed pin and parted the two parts and got the pieces of key out . Reassemble very carefullly ensuring all th eins and tumblers are intact.

Whether that will work with a modern lock, you will be the one to say.

Cheers

Dustydog

G

The fact that Avondale are in receivership is not necessariy a problem as many manufacturers use similar locks.

Bluntly, it may be just as easy to buy a new lock and fit it as trying to get the old piece of key out. However, try one of the tools that modellers use. They are like dental tools and shaped like very small picks. Maplins stock them and they are useful for other jobs as well, so not a lost purchase.

G

Byh the way, you did not mention if the door is locked or unlocked with the key stuck in it.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I was once told to try a dab of superglue on the stub of the key, insert into lock and hope to make firm contact with the broken bit then withdraw. In fact gentle hammering on the lock barrel 'vibrated' the broken bit out.

May 19, 2008
Visit site
guy

you can get broken keys out by using a piece of a fine fretsaw blade with the teeth facing you and downwards you just slide it in just above the broken key and pull it out (may need a bit of a jiggling about) a good locksmith should be able to cut you a new key from the bits or the number on it

good luck

john m

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think it would be a bit difficult to ensure that the drop of superglue only touches the remains of the key and doesn't run down inside the barrel. If it has any any contact whatsoever with any other part of the door lock, you may have an even bigger problem on your hands.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I think it would be a bit difficult to ensure that the drop of superglue only touches the remains of the key and doesn't run down inside the barrel. If it has any any contact whatsoever with any other part of the door lock, you may have an even bigger problem on your hands.
Thanks for all the helpful feedback, and yes the catch IS in the locked position!

Anyhow, we bought 2 replacement keys from Hants and Dorset Caravans at Waterlooville yesterday, they were most helpful. I'll attempt to open that lock with the broken bits today, and if I can't get the nub-end, I'll get a new one. If i can't turn the catch, then I may have to take the van in to the above, it needs a service anyway.

G

Sorry to hear the door is in the locked position. This means you will probably find out (to your horror) how easy it is to break into your van, and no, I am not a caravan thief, but I did have a break in on one oaccasion while parked ina supermarket in France. The thieves were inside in less than a minute. So much for security.

But I suspect that you could probably open one of the windows in a few seconds with a slim piece of steel, and of course if you have an under bed locker hatch you can always send the wife into the van that way. Assuming she is slimmer than you of course. I discovered on an expensive motorhome I once owned that the actual tongue of the door lock only extended about 3/8 th of an inch over the door jam, so it would not take too much effort to force it.

Anyway, the dealers probably have some smart way of solving things for you, and I hope it all works out well.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear the door is in the locked position. This means you will probably find out (to your horror) how easy it is to break into your van, and no, I am not a caravan thief, but I did have a break in on one oaccasion while parked ina supermarket in France. The thieves were inside in less than a minute. So much for security.

But I suspect that you could probably open one of the windows in a few seconds with a slim piece of steel, and of course if you have an under bed locker hatch you can always send the wife into the van that way. Assuming she is slimmer than you of course. I discovered on an expensive motorhome I once owned that the actual tongue of the door lock only extended about 3/8 th of an inch over the door jam, so it would not take too much effort to force it.

Anyway, the dealers probably have some smart way of solving things for you, and I hope it all works out well.
Thanks Scotch Lad,

Fortunately it's not the van door, but the forward storage locker.

I'llprobably have to drillit out and replace with a new barrel.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As it is so easy to break into a caravan, even without damaging anything, it's understandable that the manufacturers don't go in for very sophisticated door locks. Security is only as good as the weakest link and the doors aren't the weakest link.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts