buccaneer schooner caravan front locker door replacement

Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
Hi I am new to this forum and hope you can guide me towards a solution to the following:

I have just purchased (from a good friend) a 2016 buccaneer schooner caravan with a completely detached front locker door - broken off along the 'hinge'. To complicate the matter the caravan is stored in Navarrenx, France where we holiday twice per year (spring and Autumn).

My plan was to buy a replacement door with hinge and have it shipped to France for me to fit - I am a reasonably adept DIYer.

I have contacted by phone and follow up email a company 'caravanpanels.com' for a quote to ship replacement (in fibreglass) to France, but have not received a reply as yet.

Obviously I will try to chase further as am not in a particular hurry, but wonder if anyone reading this has any other ideas on how to proceed - source from elsewhere etc.? Maybe you have had a similar problem - the design of the hinge and locker seems to me to be particularly poor.

Thanks in anticipation. David

Attachments

• Schooner front locker.jpg
    Schooner front locker.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 11
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Try sourcing a replacement door from a caravan breakers perhaps?? Yes there are such things.
You would of course then have to transport it yourself, or have shipped, but that would probably be vastly cheaper than a new door.

Reactions: David S
Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
SFM are a well established caravan dismantling company.

Thanks for all the prompt replies, much appreciated. Unfortunately my 'searches' (breakers and internet) have drawn a blank thus far apart from the afore mentioned caravanpanels.com.
I was hoping someone might know how to 'prompt' Elddis (or whoever currently owns the brand (Erwin Hymer Group) to make spare parts readily available to their customers. I accept the van is eight years old but surely that is not too long to hold some sort of inventory.
Again, thanks for the replies, worth a try.

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
Hi sorry to hear your problem and it appears to be the same as the one we had. I see from ebay Caravan and motohome panels advert that they say the Elddis and Bucanneer are the same. Have a read of my solution which is on my web site. Unfortunate that it is in France but maybe you can live with it for the time being as we did.gas locker door replacementIMG_20240809_172801.jpg

Reactions: David S
Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
Hi sorry to hear your problem and it appears to be the same as the one we had. I see from ebay Caravan and motohome panels advert that they say the Elddis and Bucanneer are the same. Have a read of my solution which is on my web site. Unfortunate that it is in France but maybe you can live with it for the time being as we did.gas locker door replacementView attachment 7776
Very useful and comprehensive review of options and solution - Thanks so much for sharing this.
As for me? I did say I am a 'competent DIYer', but unfortunately this brilliant solution is a little beyond my skill set.......... but never say never. Thanks again.

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
Hi
Just be wary that if the door has cracked across the top it will happen again. Mine went at 3 years old and many people have tried claiming compensation from manufactures with no success in the first 1-2 years. At first when it failed i removed the gas struts and held it up with a wooden handle in position. But if you have the same design hinge going too far will make it come out of the "U" hinge fitting.:mad:
If stuck in France with this problem note what I did to hold in place with just 3 screws - item 17 D on my list. At least then it would not ruin your holiday as all you need is a Philips screwdriver + 4mm drill and existing screws.
I wish you the best of luck :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apparently what causes the locker door to crack is people lifting the door when opening it instead of allowing it to open on its own. When closing people push down on the door too hard instead of gently pushing it down. We have followed that advice religiously.

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
Interesting as mine broke after unlocking and it threw itself up on the gas struts ripping out some the screws on the hinge at the same time. Always thought the telescopic struts were too strong and removed after this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts