Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
We're thinking of going to Bulgaria in June or July, but can't seem to find any sites to stay in. Anyone been there yet? We have to go to Slovakia for a family wedding in early July, and were planning to go there afterwards. Is this not a good idea?

Also later planning to go to Turkey. Anyone got any info on Turkey?

Regards,

Martin

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin,

I have been to Bulgaria twice this year, and would not recommend anybody to take their own car there, let alone tow a caravan. the roads are full of pot-holes, many of which are wider than the car wheelbase. I know of people who have hired cars and set off blissfully unaware of the condition of the roads in BG and had a blow out when they hit the forst pot-hole at 50 mph.

I love the country, but would never drive my own car there.

Stephen

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Lutz,

many thanks for the info regarding campingo. In the light of what the next message, from Stephen, says, perhaps we won't be going there, but it still looks like a good website for staying in other countries, and we will no doubt use it.

Regards,

Martin.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Stephen,

thanks for your good information. Does this apply to the main roads? Have you driven down to Turkey. If so, how good or bad is that journey?

Regards,

Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
From my limited experience of driving in Turkey, I would say that the main roads along the coast are quite reasonable. No major potholes like the ones described in Bulgaria. All the people that I have come across who have taken caravans or motor homes to Turkey have taken the route via Italy/Greece. That way you bypass the bad roads in the Central Balkans.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Lutz,

do you know if it is possible to get through from Dubrovnik, at the bottom of Croatia, to Greece, through the edge of Yugoslavia and Albania, or would this still be considered as unsafe?

It looks like a reasonable road as far as Tirane in Albania.

We are going to be travelling in a Land Rover Defender 110, towing a Swift Conqueror 645.

Regards,

Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Based on some very controversial responses on the subject of driving overland to Greece in other forums, I would say that the only viable route is through Serbia and Macedonia. The whole area around Kosovo, Albania and Montenegro is just too dodgy. Even going through Serbia and Macedonia, the general recommendation seems to be:

1. avoid weekends (otherwise the wait at the borders will test your patience to the limit)

2. avoid driving at night

3. reduce the number of stops to the absolute minimum and never leave the car unattended.

It's difficult to make any definitive statement on the advisability of attempting such a trip. Some people reckon anyone doing so must be mad, others write that they've done it and are none the worse for wear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts