Bulk head regulator

Dec 2, 2018
Visit site
It’s our second time out in our caravan this weekend , it looks like the regulator is blocked , can you clean it or is it a case of buy a new one .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They cannot be cleaned.
Rather than replace with Truma (GOK to be precise) unit you could go for a Clesse single stage regulator which will not suffer with the problem.
https://www.bes.co.uk/caravan-low-pressure-regulator-straight-15-kg-hr-16543

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
There was a spate of this difficulty reported when bulk head rather than on bottle regulators came in. I think various things were blamed including the composition of the pig tail. I can’t remember if it was ever fully resolved but I do remember that the position of the regulator appeared as a factor, specifically if it was set lower down on the bulk head than the top of the bottles.
Might be worth a look at where yours is and an internet search might show you the historical issue.
Mel

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Currently experienced blocked Truma regulator. This item is 16 years old and we think it has done its duty.

I am waiting delivery of a new Cavagna unit, and some shouldered olives. With some 8mm pipe from my stocks I'm going to extend the position of the new regulator upwards to site it much higher than at present. As the caravan is a 2005 model, it has the potential to raise the site of the regulator to position it above the bottles far enough up to avoid any possible contamination from either gas or pigtail, apparently a recognised modification to try to eradicate potential blockage problems with the Truma units. Although I believe the Cavagna is of different construction from the Truma, I'm happy to do this to minimise possible trouble in the future. (the pigtail was supplied to us when we bought the caravan in 2012)

Reports in due course.

Pete

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Repositioning the regulator as high as possible is best practice, ensuring that the hose runs up hill all the way to the connection. The 2 stage Truma branded GOK regulator seems vulnerable to diaphragm damage so the alternative single stage Cavanga is a good move. Additionaly I would replace the pig tail with a flexible stainless steel hose, especially as yours has seen 9 years service and will be well out of date. Avoid the red coloured Truma branded pigtail hoses as these seem to be prone to early rubber decomposition.

Reactions: Petemate

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I am not used to this forum so not sure whether you are asking me that question.
Our current caravan has the original Truma/Gok unit still working. I replaced the failed Truma unit on our previous caravan for a Cavanga obtained from BES. There are several versions of it, but the straight version is easily interchanged with the Truma/Gok. Sorry I can't remember the model number

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ern - many thanks for your quick response and for the advice. I will indeed obtain a SS pigtail; even though we have only used the caravan 2-3 times per year since purchase, I do realise that rubber materials can deteriorate on a time basis!

Thanks again

Pete

PS Otherclive - I've not received the regulator yet but I'll update the forum once I do with the unit details/specs. Meanwhile here is a pic of the item.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 5
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Come to a grinding halt with my project.
I resited the new regulator as high as possible in the gas locker. Next the correct length of copper pipe was fabricated and attached to the regulator with its dedicated olive. Then I set to in search of a suitable olive to connect to the 3-way tee piece, this is the original fitting to take the supply from the regulator to the main system and off to the left to the external BBQ point. I have thus far failed to source an olive of the correct size and type to attach to the tee piece at the new length of pipe. I'll be visiting a few local plumbers to try to get hold of one, as so far I've only got a couple of what I thought were the right types from ebay but they are not suitable. Pics attached showing what the right type should look like.

I've trawled through the websites of the local plumbers and several caravan places (eg Leisureshopdirect etc) but no joy.

Since my post I happened on I Gas Direct - looks like they have what I need. I've popped a question on their FB page with the pic and we'll see.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7313.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7313.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_IMG_7317.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7317.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The shouldered olives are used by Truma. If you use the original Tee with the original olives and just replace the Truma olive on the new tube going to the new regulator you should only need one Truma olive. I think I might have one at home but I'm away with the caravan until next week. Let me know if you are stuck.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You dont need that kind of olive, any of the soft copper olives of the correct size for the pipe will do exactly the same job.

Make sure the pipe is really clean and shiny with no contamination when fitting.

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Ern, but the short piece of pipe attached to the tee piece was disposed of and the olive as a result could not be re-used! The new regulator had its own new olive and the new piece of copper pipe fitted successfully. I do have a new spare Truma shouldered olive but it is way too long to fit; the union nut will not engage on the threads, hence the need for a really short olive. I'll probably take the advice to fit a tube type of copper olive.

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Quote: You dont need that kind of olive, any of the soft copper olives of the correct size for the pipe will do exactly the same job.

Make sure the pipe is really clean and shiny with no contamination when fitting. Unquote.

Thanks Damian, so a parallel copper tube type olive should work then. I'll report on how it goes.

Pete

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I agree Damian that you don't actually need one of the Truma olives, but if one is available, it's smart to use it. I am not a plumber, so my advice is only based on experience.

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Result! Olives arrived this morning. All fitted, no leaks. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

Many thanks everyone for all the input and I hope this helps someone else.

Pete

PS I only needed the one olive but I ordered a few to give me some spare.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7328.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7328.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail_IMG_7325.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7325.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail_IMG_7326.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7326.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail_IMG_7327.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7327.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Damian

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Petemate: If I have interpreted the pics correctly, the image showing the new regulator installed appears to show the flexible hose (pigtail) entering the regulator at the top. This means the hose is running down hill to the regulator. That is not the best way to do it. The hose should not ideally run down hill to the regulator, as this will encourage sludge from the gas to lye in the regulator around the diaphragm. It's not as bad as doing the same with a Truma 2 stage regulator, but still not the best way. It would have been better to instal the regulator with the inlet and outlet horizontal, and the hose sweeping up to the inlet port.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerL and Petemate

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In response to the post by Ern, I am certain that every British built caravan with a bulkhead regulator is fitted in the vertical orientation with the inlet coming in at the top and outlet at the bottom.

The problem with the GOK regulators was the siting of the regulator which in a lot of cases was lower than the outlet of the gas cylinder.

The remedy was to lift the regulator to a higher location in the gas locker.

Whilst the gas still enters the system at the top of the regulator, the majority of the hose runs downwards to the cylinder, the small amount of downhill to the regulator was insignificant.

The use of single stage regulators removes the situation from happening as whatever enters the regulator is blown through by the gas, and any that may be present will run out anyway, and either be burnt away by the gas appliances or in the worst cases , after a lot of time, collect in the lowest pipework and need removing.

The GOK two stage regulator was that it kept being trapped inside the reg and caused the material surrounding the needle to swell and stop the gas flowing.

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ern - there is only a very small part of the pigtail entering the regulator from above. The majority of the hose then sweeps down nicely to the bottle. I'll post a better pic later today.

As the pigtail (which was given to us by the dealer when we bought the 'van) is somewhat longer than that officially allowed for a touring caravan, I have ordered a 450mm one which will be fitted in a few days once it is here.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The Truma branded regulators fitted to most UK caravans have the inlet and outlet ports horizontal. The regulators are sited near the top of the bulkhead for obvious reasons.
Petemate: Damian makes the point (which I agree with) about the residue draining, and the Cavanga single stage regulator is unlikely to be affected as the residue will not be retained by it. Your installation is likely to be perfectly reliable.
When your pigtail has reached its replacement date i recommend you replace it with a stainless steel hose.

• Love
Jun 30, 2021
Visit site
Regulators should not exceed a ten year life span, weather bulkhead or single stage and should always be checked with a manometer by a qualified lpg acops technician.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Regulators should not exceed a ten year life span, weather bulkhead or single stage and should always be checked with a manometer by a qualified lpg acops technician.
What legislation or regulation mentions this age limit? Regulators are not even date marked. When they fail, they fail safe. The regulator is included in the pressure drop test as part of the annual service.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Seem to recall 10 years for the regulator is guidance, but a friend told me that on his narrow boat 10 years is legislative for the boats safety certificate. But prudence might suppport a 10 year change out anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts