butane to propane gas

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
I'm going to be using my caravan in to the depths of winter but I'm using the blue bottles at the moment, can anyone tell me what i need to do to change over to the propane gas? can i still use my cadac barbque with the propane?

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi how old is you van? or do you have a regulator already fitted to the van or do you have the regulator fitted to the gas bottle and a hose then to your van .If the regulator is fitted all you need is new propane tails from the bottle to the regulator , if the later you will need a propane regulator , this will not affect the use of the cadac , i think prpane has a lower calorific value but could be corrected.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Karl,

Mike is right, the major difference between a Propane and a Butane bottle is the bottle connection itself.

If you have a Cadac Global Grill or Skottel, with say the 30 millibar jet, then it should work on either gas as long as you have a 30millibar regulator (or 28mB at a pinch).

Butane has a boiling point of -0.5

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Karl,

Mike is right, the major difference between a Propane and a Butane bottle is the bottle connection itself.

If you have a Cadac Global Grill or Skottel, with say the 30 millibar jet, then it should work on either gas as long as you have a 30millibar regulator (or 28mB at a pinch).

Butane has a boiling point of -0.5

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Rob, when you say that it can over pressurise the bottle, will it over pressurise it so much that it becomes a safety issue? Surely there is a pressure release valve on the regulator? Roy.
Big Roy,

One of the delights of France are hot days (and the food and the wine and...) but when the temperature hits 40

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi rob-jax & Big Roy

Just a bit more information, Propane bottles with theh "Pol" connector (L/h screw-in type)supplied by Calor has a pressure relief valve fitted into the stem of the bottle valve. This is another essential reason why gas bottles must always be stored moved or ued in the upright attitude.

It may not be the same for other manufctures bottles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When you change from butane to propane - not all Calor dealers will allow it.

Although there is no public distinction, many Calor dealers are just "resellers" and won't allow cylinder type/size swaps. This includes many caravan dealers!

Check out your usual Calor dealer BEFORE you need to swap.

If you have problems try Calor Direct, get their number from Yellow Pages.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
And is it a safety issue - yes I think it is - how much really depends on the external temperature, how you site the van, etc.

My suggestion is that you don't take Propane to a hot climate, switch back to Butane before you go.

Robert
Interesting comments on propane use. Please tell me why do all French filling stations store propane bottles outside in the sun if there is a problem. I have used (French) propane for over 20 years mostly in the south of France and have seen 40 degrees on many occasions. I have never been aware of any venting of excess pressure in the gas locker and I do have a gas alarm fitted. Whilst there seems no reason to doubt the technical specifications quoted and I haven't checked them (yet) I cannot believe the French petrol companies would allow storage of bottled propane gas if was as dangerous as claimed.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Interesting comments on propane use. Please tell me why do all French filling stations store propane bottles outside in the sun if there is a problem. I have used (French) propane for over 20 years mostly in the south of France and have seen 40 degrees on many occasions. I have never been aware of any venting of excess pressure in the gas locker and I do have a gas alarm fitted. Whilst there seems no reason to doubt the technical specifications quoted and I haven't checked them (yet) I cannot believe the French petrol companies would allow storage of bottled propane gas if was as dangerous as claimed.
Further to my previous comment. I have now checked my propane bottles. They have a test pressure of 30 bar (450 psi) stamped on them. My Calor reference book gives bottle pressures as 1.72 bar for butane and 6.21 bar for propane at 15 degrees C (25 and 100 psi in old money). The previous reference to 90 degrees C is a bit misleading as I am sure it could not be achieved under any circumstances likely to be met whilst caravanning including very high ambient temperatures and is a reference temperature at which problems may arise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Calor website specifies the groups of gas bottles (size / type) which can be freely exchanged BUT many Calor dealers, including CC wardens and caravan dealers, DON'T operate this exchange.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The reseller all sign the same one page contract with the same 'open to interpretation' statement about bottle changing. If you go to Calor direct they will swop any of the two smallest bottles between each other, so why don't they make it as simple for their resellers to understand and stop all this nonsence.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Further to my previous comment. I have now checked my propane bottles. They have a test pressure of 30 bar (450 psi) stamped on them. My Calor reference book gives bottle pressures as 1.72 bar for butane and 6.21 bar for propane at 15 degrees C (25 and 100 psi in old money). The previous reference to 90 degrees C is a bit misleading as I am sure it could not be achieved under any circumstances likely to be met whilst caravanning including very high ambient temperatures and is a reference temperature at which problems may arise.
Further update on propane bottle pressure. At 110F (43C) ambient the gas pressure is 204psi well within the test pressure of the bottle. The U.S.A is virtually 100% propane usage for all purposes and has very high temperatures in some states. However, they are now fitting overpressure relief valves to gas bottles for fire risk. It is safer to vent and burn the gas than have bottles explode in a fire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts