buying a repaired caravan

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, I know there are some very experienced, and clever people who write on this forum, so I would be grateful if any of you can give me some advice.

My son is looking to buy a starter van, but doesn't want to pay a great deal of money until his family decide if it is for them or not.

He has a chance to buy an Eldis caravan at what seems to be a very reasonable price, but, and this is the dilemma, it has had some floor delamination, which the sellers say has been fixed, and they have the reciepts to prove it. Also, the van has had a leak behind the toilet, which resulted in some damp, which they say has also been rectified, and they have reciepts for this also.

My question is, do you think a caravan that has had these faults is a good bet, and can faults like this be fixed to a good standard, and will not recur?

I would appreciate any advice on this matter, as I wouldn't like to see my son ripped off, and I am not experienced enough to offer sound advice. Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers Roy.

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Without seeing the damp rectification it would be unwise to comment, but as far as floor delamination goes as long as it has been rectifiedcorrectly using the recomended kits it should be no problem. I repaired my floor last year, mainly in the entrance area and in front of the cooke/sink

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Agree,

The delam repair involves injecting epoxy between the 2 layers of wood and foam core to glue them back together. As long as the floor's not flexing when you walk on it the repair is good.

The damp is another issue. If the effected area is soft then the wood behind is rotten & its time to walk away. If its not & the leak has been fixed then it should be ok.

This needs calibrating to the age/value of the van. Most vans over 10 years old will be showing signs of damp unless the owner has taken pre-emptive steps to re-seal the joints ie acted on early indications shown by the damp test during the servicing.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
You don't mention the year of the caravan or how much the seller is asking. Your son could always check it with a damp meter buy I suspect that if the seller has receipts from previous repairs the seller is probably genuine and has looked after the caravan.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, I am feeling a bit more confident about this van, and will go with him to have another look around it. Cheers Roy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts