Buying an Awning

PR

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all.
We are very new to caravanning, so please be gentle
We want to buy an awning for our Baileys ranger 470/4. We do not want a full length awning as we want to keep the front nearside window clear, but we want something bigger than a porch awning. Can any body offer any help please.
Thanks
Paul

Dec 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello
Welcome to caravanning, you won't regret it, all that freedom and open spaces!!!
We have a smaller awning (sorry can't remember the make)for weekends and short breaks it's the type which has the bendy tent like poles(3) at right angles to the van it's 2.6m wide covering kitchen window and door on ourAbbey 417, my husband puts it up on his own!!! in about 15 mins, hope this helps
Sue

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We use a Isabella Magnum,Ventura do a cheaper but still good quality version of it. These are quality units not the ultra light weight units favoured by some.
This has the ruggedness to withstand all but the worst weather and even buying a secondhad one of 8 or so years old it should still be very servicable.
I recall its 3.6 metres "long", but check, and you need to measure this against your van to ensure the vertical sides dont run down a window. If you do it will inevitably over time "fret" the window with micro scratches.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Like JTQ we have the new Magnum Concept which replaced the moonlight, used to have a 1000cm full awning got fed up of the weight, the magnum is nearly two thirds lighter and we don't miss the space as its more of an intemediate awning than a porch awning. Bit pricey but you get what you pay for, it should be interchangeable if we swapped the Clubman for somthing else, another reason why we bought it.
NigelH

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello Paul,
Ideally its better if the awning doesnt go halfway over a window and is on the horizontal part of the rail ,so I'd measure up what length you have available as the bigger porch awnings come in different lengths on the awning rail.
Some examples are
Quest Kensington 3.3m,Apache Windsor 3.5m,Dorema Vitesse 2.8m,Trio midi 3.25m,Trio maxi 4.0m.
They are not particularly cheap,so I suppose it depends on your budget and how much use its going to get.When we started caravanning I bought a second hand one on Ebay,and then sold it on the following year.
On the bigger ones you can usually zip on a bedroom annexe,which we use for the sat dish and to store the cadac,etc.!!
Hope this helps
Cheers Richard

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

I suggest you Google either Caravan Awning or Caravan Porch Awning and you will come up with a list of suppliers' websites. If you click on these you will see pictures and prices, which you can compare.

I just did this and got myself a lightweight porch, 1.9m by 1.8m for travelling, at £39.95 + £6 postage - and it arrived the next day. I am well pleased with it

Good luck!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

we purchased a Kampa Fiesta 270 which fits the bill exactly (i.e. keeps the front window clear). The one thing I would recommend though is to double check the measurments for your windows as althought the foot of the porch style awning is 270 (or 350 for the larger size) it tapers in at the top to approx. 230 from a 270 base which means an 8 inch taper from the bottom to the top at each side.

I would also recommend buying the additional rear upright pole set for a better seal with the bumper pads against the caravan. It only weighs approx 25Kg too, which is handy as I pretty much have to erect it solo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts