Buying first caravan

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
Hi - beginners here getting ready to buy our first caravan. We have been looking on and off for about a year. We are almost ready to go ahead.

We are quite tempted by a deal on the caravan that the dealer in Cheshire calls a "Special Edition Henbury" which I think seems to be their branded version of the Swife Sprite Major 4EB. It's a 2024 new model from stock. They say this includes a leisure pack worth over £3K, but it doesn't include a motor mover or a bunch of other starter kit items so the salesperson told us we would have to spend an extra £1600 or so on those.

They are claiming the price as £24,245 reduced from 26995 (last £750 reduction they claim is only for this weekend due to the show!). They also said that if we buy the caravan now, we would have to pay by end November, but they are prepared to keep it for us until we find storage.

Since we are beginners, does this seem like a reasonable deal? Should we be asking for additional discounts or extras to sign up? They have a couple of 2025 models in the showroom but the prices are ridiculous so I assume they are trying to get rid of the 2024 models first.

(I was also tempted by a Bailey Bologna but OH has vetoed this as it's "too big" - at least will save a lot of money anyway).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Javert, welcome, We also looked around for about a year for our first caravan, and found that dealers were giving items like Equal rolls , waste masters and a gas bottle, maybe a battery, I can't remember. But also a full sized awning, worth £700, ( 15 years ago, a Doremo. ) we used that once , too heavy and not what we needed or wanted.
We could have got a £700 discount. On the van. Or got a Motor mover, to a dealer they cost £600 to £1000 .
Be willing to walk away a few times, The dealer wants your money, show interest in an older model, pick the one you like, pick it to bits, dent here, chip there, cupboards not in line, screw covers missing, carpets walked on, anything you can find, ask for damp reports, if it has been sitting outside, in front of the sales man, take your own damp meter. And ask where you can check it. Ask or a reduction for tyre life,
Be ruthless.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
£1600 for a starter kit , no way Aqua roll, waste master, battery, wheel ramp , maybe £400. But plates cups, go to IKEA or Dunhelm, light weight. Don't go for Plastic glasses, real glass for wine or beer carried in. A wine bottle bag. Forget 900 watt kettles, full blown 1500 kw, and real mugs/ China if you buy a Coachman of course.
Enjoy.

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
£1600 for a starter kit , no way Aqua roll, waste master, battery, wheel ramp , maybe £400. But plates cups, go to IKEA or Dunhelm, light weight. Don't go for Plastic glasses, real glass for wine or beer carried in. A wine bottle bag. Forget 900 watt kettles, full blown 1500 kw, and real mugs/ China if you buy a Coachman of course.
Enjoy.

Sorry I meant for the motor mover and starter kit - they mentioned about £1K for a motor mover and about £600 for all the starting equipment so I added them together.

ShouldI assume that I can ignore all the “this offer is only valid until tomorrow” stuff - I would guess that if they are trying to clear last year models they are going to give the same kind of incentives one way or another?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I meant for the motor mover and starter kit - they mentioned about £1K for a motor mover and about £600 for all the starting equipment so I added them together.

ShouldI assume that I can ignore all the “this offer is only valid until tomorrow” stuff - I would guess that if they are trying to clear last year models they are going to give the same kind of incentives one way or another?
At this time of year they will be very keen to sell those remaining 2024 models, which should work in your favour. In case if future problems it helps to put a deposit down using a credit card. Over £100 will then give you cover under the Consumer Credit Acts section 75. Also if the caravan is purchased via a loan directly then again you have substantial protection. In effect in law the credit card company or loan company have to accept responsibility for the product. Hopefully things go well but best to know of such consumer safeguards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts