Buying first caravan

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
Hi - beginners here getting ready to buy our first caravan. We have been looking on and off for about a year. We are almost ready to go ahead.

We are quite tempted by a deal on the caravan that the dealer in Cheshire calls a "Special Edition Henbury" which I think seems to be their branded version of the Swife Sprite Major 4EB. It's a 2024 new model from stock. They say this includes a leisure pack worth over £3K, but it doesn't include a motor mover or a bunch of other starter kit items so the salesperson told us we would have to spend an extra £1600 or so on those.

They are claiming the price as £24,245 reduced from 26995 (last £750 reduction they claim is only for this weekend due to the show!). They also said that if we buy the caravan now, we would have to pay by end November, but they are prepared to keep it for us until we find storage.

Since we are beginners, does this seem like a reasonable deal? Should we be asking for additional discounts or extras to sign up? They have a couple of 2025 models in the showroom but the prices are ridiculous so I assume they are trying to get rid of the 2024 models first.

(I was also tempted by a Bailey Bologna but OH has vetoed this as it's "too big" - at least will save a lot of money anyway).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Javert, welcome, We also looked around for about a year for our first caravan, and found that dealers were giving items like Equal rolls , waste masters and a gas bottle, maybe a battery, I can't remember. But also a full sized awning, worth £700, ( 15 years ago, a Doremo. ) we used that once , too heavy and not what we needed or wanted.
We could have got a £700 discount. On the van. Or got a Motor mover, to a dealer they cost £600 to £1000 .
Be willing to walk away a few times, The dealer wants your money, show interest in an older model, pick the one you like, pick it to bits, dent here, chip there, cupboards not in line, screw covers missing, carpets walked on, anything you can find, ask for damp reports, if it has been sitting outside, in front of the sales man, take your own damp meter. And ask where you can check it. Ask or a reduction for tyre life,
Be ruthless.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog and Javert
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
£1600 for a starter kit , no way Aqua roll, waste master, battery, wheel ramp , maybe £400. But plates cups, go to IKEA or Dunhelm, light weight. Don't go for Plastic glasses, real glass for wine or beer carried in. A wine bottle bag. Forget 900 watt kettles, full blown 1500 kw, and real mugs/ China if you buy a Coachman of course.
Enjoy.

Reactions: Javert
Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
£1600 for a starter kit , no way Aqua roll, waste master, battery, wheel ramp , maybe £400. But plates cups, go to IKEA or Dunhelm, light weight. Don't go for Plastic glasses, real glass for wine or beer carried in. A wine bottle bag. Forget 900 watt kettles, full blown 1500 kw, and real mugs/ China if you buy a Coachman of course.
Enjoy.

Sorry I meant for the motor mover and starter kit - they mentioned about £1K for a motor mover and about £600 for all the starting equipment so I added them together.

ShouldI assume that I can ignore all the “this offer is only valid until tomorrow” stuff - I would guess that if they are trying to clear last year models they are going to give the same kind of incentives one way or another?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I meant for the motor mover and starter kit - they mentioned about £1K for a motor mover and about £600 for all the starting equipment so I added them together.

ShouldI assume that I can ignore all the “this offer is only valid until tomorrow” stuff - I would guess that if they are trying to clear last year models they are going to give the same kind of incentives one way or another?
At this time of year they will be very keen to sell those remaining 2024 models, which should work in your favour. In case if future problems it helps to put a deposit down using a credit card. Over £100 will then give you cover under the Consumer Credit Acts section 75. Also if the caravan is purchased via a loan directly then again you have substantial protection. In effect in law the credit card company or loan company have to accept responsibility for the product. Hopefully things go well but best to know of such consumer safeguards.

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
At this time of year they will be very keen to sell those remaining 2024 models, which should work in your favour. In case if future problems it helps to put a deposit down using a credit card. Over £100 will then give you cover under the Consumer Credit Acts section 75. Also if the caravan is purchased via a loan directly then again you have substantial protection. In effect in law the credit card company or loan company have to accept responsibility for the product. Hopefully things go well but best to know of such consumer safeguards.

Thanks - I guess they want customers to think they are getting a great deal on a new caravan. However I presume I can ask to see the actual one I’m buying and ask for site of the manufacturing date and the delivery date to their compound. They are calling it new but it could be up to a year old.

They claim there is a leisure pack worth over £3K and she mentioned £500 for the solar panel alone, but again on the Swift website it’s £250. Some of the items are “custom logo on mirror” which is useless to me. The useful ones are the solar panel, extra TV point, external socket and bbq point and external locker (is that not standard?) and there is a window in the entry door

Also they have inflated the prices in their show room on the 2025 model significantly higher than the Swift list price. Probably they will claim it’s because it’s a special edition, with a few extra bits, but I’m sure when I was in there a few months back they were charging list price and throwing those in for free.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a Sprite manufactured November 2011, but first registered April 2013. Its warranty ran from registration date. Reason for the delay was the collapse in the market due to the 2008 financial crash. It worked out well as a rear panel developed cracks in 2018 and could still be replaced under warranty.

It’s a difficult one for you in trying to compare a dealer special with the standard offering. All I would say is look at the added features and decide are they actually of benefit. As said above you can buy most caravan items preowned and in very good condition. The CMHC classifieds have a very good selection. Movers come in a range of prices and types and all can be fitted at home. I bought a pre owned Isabella Magnum large porch awning from CMHC classifieds at 25% of new price from a member giving up on health grounds. Plus it could be used on subsequent caravans.

There’s lots of stock out there so don’t feel pressurised. .

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
I had a Sprite manufactured November 2011, but first registered April 2013. Its warranty ran from registration date. Reason for the delay was the collapse in the market due to the 2008 financial crash. It worked out well as a rear panel developed cracks in 2018 and could still be replaced under warranty.

It’s a difficult one for you in trying to compare a dealer special with the standard offering. All I would say is look at the added features and decide are they actually of benefit. As said above you can buy most caravan items preowned and in very good condition. The CMHC classifieds have a very good selection. Movers come in a range of prices and types and all can be fitted at home. I bought a pre owned Isabella Magnum large porch awning from CMHC classifieds at 25% of new price from a member giving up on health grounds. Plus it could be used on subsequent caravans.

There’s lots of stock out there so don’t feel pressurised. .

Seems that Longton in Standish area are selling 2025 model with a motor mover and solar panel for 26K sticker price . Slightly more but it’s the latest model with the full height fridge and electric hob. Might take a run up there today.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Swift certainly confuse matters and allow their Dealers to compound the confusion further.

All dealers get the Swift Sprite Major range as described in the main brochure.

Some Dealers get a ‘special’ the Swift Sprite Major Exclusive.

We then get the so called “Dealer Specials” in this case the Swift Sprite Major Henbury.

Remember BMC and their badges for the 1100 model? Austin, Morris, MG, Wolseley, Riley , Princess Vandan Plas.?

Here Swift are doing the same
Has anyone seen a detailed spread sheet showing a comparison between the three Swifts mentioned?

This confusion imo allows the Dealer to “massage” the prices.

There are mobile AWS engineers who are also approved repairers and installers of Powrtouch. Get a price from them for the mover. Possibly cheaper than the dealer.

One thing, whilst price is very important , if you buy from a far away dealer future repairs servicing , warranty issues may incur you transport costs to their workshop. You may be able to reach an agreement on this aspect at point of purchase.

Finally be hard as nails and as said by my colleague# be prepared to walk away. Good luck and I hope,your purchase is a success.

Reactions: RogerL
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Just one comment regarding the (popular) EB layout. We bought one new in 2022 and changed it to an SB layout model this year as I just couldn’t get on with the bed length and it having a wall at the end, as soon as my feet touched the wall in the night it woke me up!

Lots of people are very happy with this layout and it’s good for families but worth checking you’re okay with the bed length.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
…..also be realistic on the pricing, walking away is fine providing there’s something better out there. Always worth trying to find a better offer elsewhere then using that information to try and knock your favoured dealer down.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would not rush in just keep checking caravan dealers they are always offers on new caravans just find the one that you like at your budget and it suits everyone. .

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
If there is option for LiFe4p04 batterythen go for it as it is 14kg lighter than standard AGM. Will help offset MMs 35KG.
Go for MTPLM upgrade option assuming its within your vehicles tow rating.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts