C5 drivers

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I have a citreon C5 exclusive and as its a citreon its a comfy ride and has all the toys you need BUT the fuel economy isnt all that good to be honest now i was wundering what other drivers iwere getting solo and towing.

My van is 1420 fully laden and on a run to longleat i was only averaging about 24-26MPG which is what i was getting out of my sorrie.

Solo i get roughly 35-37 mpg I thought i would get more out of it whit it been a diesel am I expecting to much? Or will the fuel economy get better as the car gets older it has 11 thousand on the clock now.

Cheers,

Andy

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Andy,

35+ mpg from a C5? I'd possibly expect that sort of consumption from an automatic used on very short mixed country and town journeys - that would be similar to the official "combined" consumption. Longer solo journeys on quiet roads - I'd expect closer to 50

After 11000 miles, the engine and drive train should be in peqk condition, but it doesn't sound as if your seeing particularly good consumption. My automatic Mercedes E320 V6 CDI does rather better than 45 mpg driving solo from our village into Oxford - and 35 in town.

You may want to have your car put on a diagnostic computer...

Robert

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi monkey, i have to agree with rob it does sound quite heavy consumption, our seat alhambra that we have recently sold did around 50 mpg combined solo and about 35 to 40 mpg towing a 1600 kg van, it was a 1.9 tdi130 manual.

My new car is a ford S max 2.0 tdci manual and at the moment it is showing 40.9 mpg driving round town with a little bit of motorway, ive not towed with it yet but i am expecting the same as the alhambra as the car is supposed to be slightly more efficient.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi monkey, i have to agree with rob it does sound quite heavy consumption, our seat alhambra that we have recently sold did around 50 mpg combined solo and about 35 to 40 mpg towing a 1600 kg van, it was a 1.9 tdi130 manual.

My new car is a ford S max 2.0 tdci manual and at the moment it is showing 40.9 mpg driving round town with a little bit of motorway, ive not towed with it yet but i am expecting the same as the alhambra as the car is supposed to be slightly more efficient.
Hi

I used to have a C5 HDI and it was an excellent tow car but a little light for my purpose. I could get over 50mpg out of it on a long run and between 30 to 34mpg depending on prevailing conditions towing a 1300kg van

Sandy

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andy

I've had my C5 since new, it's now done 65,000. Solo I can get 45+ but towing (my van is similar a 1410kg) it's between 27-32mpg. Mine is a manual, 2.2 HDI.

The computer keeps telling me that the fuel additive is low and I understand that will affect economy so once that is fixed the mpg should improve.

Other than that, it been a brilliant tow car.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We too have gone from the Alhambra's sister (VW Sharan 1.9tdi) to an S-max but we only got 50 mpg from the Shaz if we kept it below 60 on a long run, 41mpg was a usual average and we never got more than 30 mpg towing even a light caravan, whilst the C5 has a larger engine, there is less frontal area so the mpg does sound a bit low

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi graham, the performance from the seat was superb, it was the 130 bhp engine with the 6 speed box and never really seemed to struggle with the van, in france as i said we where travelling at 75 mph and didnt really know untill we started to overtake other vehicles and i had a look at the speedo.

i did have the car re mapped to 172 bhp which made it a bit of an animal BUT i must warn you that the re map is what i think caused the major engine damage to my car which resulted in its premature sale.

overall the alhambra is a very good car and one that i can recomend highly.

I cant say much about the S max yet as ive only had it for 1 month, its showing 40.9 mpg at the moment town and a bit of motorway, i will be towing with it for the first time on 4th jan.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I got rid of my 2002 C5 Exclusive SE Estate 2.2 Dci earlier this year. It was very poor on economy about 36 mpg solo, 25 towing. I also found it very heavy on tyres especially fronts.

The final blow came when the computer told me that the diesel emissions filter needing replacing. My local dealer quoted me betweem

May 12, 2011
Visit site
My 2005 2.0 hdi VTR does about 42 solo in urban areas and 50 on a long run. Towing does make quite a difference though, perhaps the C5 depends on aerodynamics more than some cars and the consumption drops to 30, so yours does sound a little thirsty.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy,

I have a C5 HDi 138 auto Exclusive. Combined mileage is about 36.

On a manual I would expect a bit more. I used to have manual that would reach 42mpg around town.

Ron.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Monkey

Are you reading the MPG from the car's trip computer? If so, try a comparison by filling it up and resetting the trip. Then fill up again noting how much you have put in the tank and calculate the fuel consumption/mpg manually - you may see a big difference! I've had the same issue on several cars - the car's trip has always reported lower than reality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts