C5 ESTATE[2.0 HDI] OR STILO ESTATE[JTD]

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
am in the process of changing my towcar for 1 of the above, both would be heavy enough for my '98 pageant majestic but which would be the better towcar,any thoughts people?

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
The Citroen should be the better towcar, with it's 'floaty' suspension and solid diesel engine. Citroen have always made good towcars, and I surprised that you havn't been swamped by Citroen owners!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
c5, is a bigger car, so if you go buy wieght being important

then yes this would be a better towing car.

engine wise, the jtd is more than a match for the hdi, in the

all important reliability.

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
c5, is a bigger car, so if you go buy wieght being important

then yes this would be a better towing car.

engine wise, the jtd is more than a match for the hdi, in the

all important reliability.
yes i am thinking more in favour of the stilo because of the more power and the lower train weight.

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
just an add on to my preveious posting, does anybody know the torque figures for these vehicles[in english lbs ft]the stilo is 250nm @2000 revs but i don't know the c5[it would not be new updated model]thanks in anticipation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
RayD

I cant tell you the figures because the car is outside complete with the book but from the last two years experience in towing with a Citroen C5 Estate(first with a 2002 Charisma 550 and now a Bailey Champagne) I can tell you that the max torque on the Citroen equates to about 60mph in 5th gear. On motorways and dual carriageways I find that the car 'wants' to tow the van at about 64mph. It seems that this must be the optimum torque level. I orginally found that it was a little'long legged' for towing down here in Cornwall with the absence of dual carriageways etc meant that at 50mph it wasn't quite on top of the job and I found myself doing a lot of gearchanging. Understand, this isnt a criticism, just an observation bearing in mind that the weight ratio of car/van was in the region of 90%. I then fitted an external 'chip' that upped the performance to about 130bhp and, before the jobs comforters come out of the woodwork, yes the insurance co. knows.

The difference that this has made has been amazing. Even though I still have to do the majority of my towing at 50mph the car doesn't seem to mind. In fact, even on gradients in 5th I find the car accelerating.

Can't comment on the Fiat but the ride on the Citroen is probably the best in class (and other classes as well.) The only 'van it would'nt like is a twin axle because the suspension would be continually adjusting itself.

Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we have a C5 it is the best tow car ive ever had On the motorway it is superb .We have just returned fom the New Forrest a round trip of 400 miles .The deisel consumption when towing was 34 mpg.It is a touring car and pleases better on the MW ,around town is a bit to big

coljac

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends on which C5 you are going for. The new 2.0ltr model has a better HP 130ish i think than the earlier model 110. I found my 2002 110 model superb all round with 46mpg solo, more if your light footed, and 32ish pulling my Bailey Ranger 510/4 at 87% which was 1259Kgs MTPLM. I did find on long steep climbs it would need 3rd gear sometimes to build the revs up, the extra HP on the newer model should take care of that. I think your Majestic is a similar weight if not slightly lighter. Large and roomy, very comfy the estate will shift the family fridge with no problems. Go for the C5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts