Cadac Carri Chef 2 - a heads up.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Having had our original Carri Chef Deluxe for ages, we have just about worn it out, the Skottl plate did some time ago and was replaced recently. Having decided to replace the Carri Chef, we had our new Carri Chef 2 delivered this morning. Looks a big improvement on the original. However, there is a caveat. The replacement Skottl plate for the deluxe, although identical in size to the one sold with Carri Chef 2 doesnt fit, the feet are completely different and wont match the locators in the later model. As Cadacs are sold with "accesories" readily available, I think it very poor that they arent compatible, and just as poor that there is no warning either on their website or the documentation. Having googled this, it appears the Braii isnt interchangeable either.

:angry:

The Carri Chef 2 though does seem a vast improvement in quality on the older model.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I too bought a cadac thingy some weeks ago before the Sep woosie fest. As Alistair and Anseo will testify, mine is still in the box awaiting inspiration! (and gas).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Grey and Thingy
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15901719/cadac-8mm-quick-release-coupling-15901719
This quick release connector is great.

go-317389-a.jpg

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Hutch, I was looking at those. They also do a double kit but its the wrong way round. Two to attach to the Cadac and only one male insert.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It works well, had it for about two years now, save having to unscrew the connection pipe, its shorter than the screw on legs.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I got two of the QRs. One to connect pipe from Cadac to caravan, inline connector at caravan end, and t'other on short pipe with propane regulator to use on patio with the caravans bottle.

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
I Bought a Carri Chef 2 a fortnight ago and got caught out with buying a plancha plate for it. It was the wrong size and had to return it and didn't get my postage back. The literature on these things aren't the best.
I used it up in the Lakes last week, it worked ok but kept blowing out. Even though I used the lid as a windbreak as detailed in the instructions. I'm not sure whether the lid could be taken off the burner and stowed on the windshield pegs as they're only plastic. - I burnt the grass when I rested the lid down on the ground.
What does everyone else do to keep it lit?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yorkie, Not the Chef 2 but on my Original Cadac, The burners started to "slow" down , took it apart and found the ignitor cable had got in the way of the jet. Move the cable over and all was well.

But being brand new, take it back to the seller, and get another one.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
All gas BBQs can be susceptible to wind, depending of course on wind strength and direction. Firstly, you should be using the domed lid as a windshield unless using it as an oven. Secondly look closely at the control knob, its highest point is in the centre of its travel, its furthest travel being the equivalent of simmer. People often turn them down thinking they are turning them up.

If indeed it is a weak flame, I still would suspect a faulty jet, another issue could be a faulty regulator, be it on the caravan or bottle. Is the hose tightly clamped at both ends, is there a split in the hose allowing gas to escape and pressure drop. There really are a multitide of things it could be, but Im totally in support of the opinion that if its brand new, take it back and have it swapped. Have you spoken to Cadac tech support at Clitheroe?
da0ba2inline-cadac-carri-chef-2-base-unit-jpg.jpg

If you look at the pic below, the highest flame would be at the 9 o clock setting.

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
Thanks Thingy, I've checked all of those things and everything seems ok. I put on new hoses and clips and used the regulator point on the caravan.
I'll take a pic of the flame sometime as I've got nothing to compare it with. What may seem like a strong flame to me, may be a weak ones to those who have one.that works ok.
I bought the cadac online and don't really want to return it yet as I still don't know whether it's the nature of it or whether there is something wrong with it,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
YorkieF said:
Thanks Thingy, I've checked all of those things and everything seems ok. I put on new hoses and clips and used the regulator point on the caravan.
I'll take a pic of the flame sometime as I've got nothing to compare it with. What may seem like a strong flame to me, may be a weak ones to those who have one.that works ok.
I bought the cadac online and don't really want to return it yet as I still don't know whether it's the nature of it or whether there is something wrong with it,

Nice "O" boat for your Avatar. We have just moved from Bradford on Avon after living there since 1986, it has changed and its now very touristy with everlasting traffic noise in the centre. However, off centre it is still nice. If you visit again there is a larger Sainsbury store on the Trwobridge edge of BoA.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yorkie, just thought on my Original, Cadac it came with two different, jets, any chance you have one in the Cadac Chef 2 instructions bag.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hutch, I think Yorkie has a Carri Chef but I see where you are going with this. Doesnt the Safari Chef and Eazi Chef both come in both High and Low pressure variants?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
These are the most over rated, over expensive and overweight caravan accessories ever. Had one for a couple of years and sold it. Its not a bbq, its a gas powered frying pan. Takes too long to build, is too difficult to clean, blows out in the wind and cant be used safely in an awning.
Got an electric hotplate now which gets used in the awning when its raining and a good ol charcoal bbq for use on nice days. Both together weigh less than a cadac and are considerably less hassle.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Cadac’s like lots of things in life are never going to be liked by everyone or disliked by everyone, we all pay our money and buy what we choose and what suits our particular needs, personally I have had a Cadac for around 5 years, it suits my needs totally, I cook a full English breakfast on it most morning and have a BBQ most evenings, my Cadac has a bbq plate that has holes in it which means that while cooking the food comes in to actual contact with flames which apparently according to someone in this topic is the complete definition of BBQ’d food, As for setting up or building it as I think it was referred as it takes all of 10 minutes at the start of the holiday and 10 minutes at the end, a trip to the campwash area every few days and a scour in some hot soapy water is enough to keep it clean, I didn’t realise a charcoal BBQ was so maintenance free and needed no cleaning, no ashes to dispose of or could be used in an awning, my Cadac is set up under a pop up gazebo with no sides so usable in rain with a strategically placed windbreak around it so no blowouts, if people don’t like them then ok, it’s obviously pretty well liked as any site you visit you’ll see no end of them in use, I much prefer to be next to an outfit using a Cadac than someone with an out of control charcoal BBQ that’s choking anyone within the vicinity, all those Cadacs obviously get put on flea bay as soon as they’ve been used once.

BP

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Beehpee said:
Cadac’s like lots of things in life are never going to be liked by everyone or disliked by everyone, we all pay our money and buy what we choose and what suits our particular needs, personally I have had a Cadac for around 5 years, it suits my needs totally, I cook a full English breakfast on it most morning and have a BBQ most evenings, my Cadac has a bbq plate that has holes in it which means that while cooking the food comes in to actual contact with flames which apparently according to someone in this topic is the complete definition of BBQ’d food, As for setting up or building it as I think it was referred as it takes all of 10 minutes at the start of the holiday and 10 minutes at the end, a trip to the campwash area every few days and a scour in some hot soapy water is enough to keep it clean, I didn’t realise a charcoal BBQ was so maintenance free and needed no cleaning, no ashes to dispose of or could be used in an awning, my Cadac is set up under a pop up gazebo with no sides so usable in rain with a strategically placed windbreak around it so no blowouts, if people don’t like them then ok, it’s obviously pretty well liked as any site you visit you’ll see no end of them in use, I much prefer to be next to an outfit using a Cadac than someone with an out of control charcoal BBQ that’s choking anyone within the vicinity, all those Cadacs obviously get put on flea bay as soon as they’ve been used once.

BP

Totally agree :)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I like the hot-plategriddle idea and have been meaning to get one for quite some time.

As for BBQ, I seldom cook that way (in fact I seldom cook at all :whistle: ) for the odd occasion that I do BBQ then a small or large self-lighting disposable is adequate.

EDIT: I meant to include Teppanyaki variant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxiK8cG2FhU

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Well we are away to France in August and every morning and every night the barbecue will be getting used whatever the weather and what I can't fit onto the barbecue will get put onto the overspill hotplate which is electric :p !

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Cadac is far more versatile than any plain coal or gas BBQ. Dont blame the tool because you guys lack imagination B)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had a Cadac Safari Chef for a few months now, but unfortunately haven't really had chance to use it.
I've now got the gas pipe and bayonet fitting to connect it to the caravan BBQ lpg outlet and I'll be getting a metal poled windbreak to put round it before we go for our fortnight in St Ives later this month.
I hope that I like it after all that, my other half hates the smell of the charcoal barbie that I've got. B)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Parksy, get yourself the Cadac cookbook and experiment. Loads of good stuff in it and a long way from burnt sausage and burger.

Thai Coconut Curry or a Tagine well tasty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts