Calais to Salzburg - mid point site ?

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi; you may have noticed my recent query about sites in Austria and Bavaria. This post concerns a decent site that is midway between Calais and Salzburg; somewhere around / just north of Strasbourg perhaps Stuttgart even. Two adults who prefer peace and quiet. A quality site with good food close by !

What would you recommend ?

John

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

Will you be travelling via Luxembourg?

If so, then you need to be aware that there are very few motorway service stations (none in at least one case) on the way to Luxembourg - and then the largest station you'll ever see immediately over the border.

Definitely worth filling up - should be the cheapest fuel in Northern Europe by 10% or more - actually you don't have a choice because most of the surrounding fuel stations have closed.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always use Camping Buttelwoog at Dahn, near to Pirmasens.It's about 6 hrs from Calais, is in nice rural setting popular for walking.There is a good on site restaurant. Its listed on P271 of the current CC guide. Last week we paid _24 for an overnight stop.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert and 'blackrat' (gosh !)

Yes I believe that Emily (my Garmin SatNav) has calculated that gpoing via Luxembourg is the best route. Are you saying that betwene Calais and Luxembourg, there are few (if any?!) fuel stops that'll accommodate my outfit?

Thanks for the info regarding Camping Buttelwoog, I assume it's in the European version of the CC guide (which I don't yet have). However, I'll see what's on the Internet. Thanks

John

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert and 'blackrat' (gosh !)

Yes I believe that Emily (my Garmin SatNav) has calculated that gpoing via Luxembourg is the best route. Are you saying that betwene Calais and Luxembourg, there are few (if any?!) fuel stops that'll accommodate my outfit?

Thanks for the info regarding Camping Buttelwoog, I assume it's in the European version of the CC guide (which I don't yet have). However, I'll see what's on the Internet. Thanks

John
Oh dear, I don't spreken deutsche; but the pictures look nice !!!

What does the CC guide say about it please?

John

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Robert :

I assume that the motorway service station is located directly on the E25 / A6 which runs through Luxembourg? The reason I ask is that you say that the large fuel station is after the border (i.e. in German?) but then advise me to fill up in Luxembourg; if so, then where ? I have clearly mis understod your post; apologies.

John

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

No, it's just that the A4 from Namur to Luxembourg has hardly any service stations at all - certainly nothing for the last 100 km before the first station in Luxembourg.

Just make sure you have enough fuel to happily get you to Luxembourg.

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

No, it's just that the A4 from Namur to Luxembourg has hardly any service stations at all - certainly nothing for the last 100 km before the first station in Luxembourg.

Just make sure you have enough fuel to happily get you to Luxembourg.

Robert
OK yes I should be fine (well, just !!) Now my LandCruiser used to have twin tanks; primary of 100 litres and secondary of 40 litres; now THAT was a 4x4 (but that's another story ...)

cheers

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Robert :

I assume that the motorway service station is located directly on the E25 / A6 which runs through Luxembourg? The reason I ask is that you say that the large fuel station is after the border (i.e. in German?) but then advise me to fill up in Luxembourg; if so, then where ? I have clearly mis understod your post; apologies.

John
Hi John,

No, just over the border from Belgium into Luxembourg - it's the 150 km section of motorway in Belgium that has almost no service stations.

And the same story if you head back the same way - that fuel station will be the last one you'll see for a long time.

I think it's a Shell station - with 30 or 50 lanes of fuel pumps and 10 or more cash desks.

Might be a bit difficult to fit 100 km of motorway in Luxembourg, unless it was coiled up in a spiral.

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Yes, I fully endorse what rob_jax has said. The price of fuel in Luxemburg is worth a small detour.
Hang on; it's a detour. I thought that the fuel station was actually ON the autoroute leading in / through Luxembourg ?! Oh well, I guess I'll find out !

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

The fuel station is most certainly on the motorway in Luxembourg - it must generate quite a percentage of their GDP.

I think that Lutz meant that a diversion to include travelling through Luxembourg was a good idea - but from Calais or Rotterdam to Switzerland / Austria - a route through Luxembourg is usually chosen by TomTom / Garmin / viamichelin

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
John,

The fuel station is most certainly on the motorway in Luxembourg - it must generate quite a percentage of their GDP.

I think that Lutz meant that a diversion to include travelling through Luxembourg was a good idea - but from Calais or Rotterdam to Switzerland / Austria - a route through Luxembourg is usually chosen by TomTom / Garmin / viamichelin

Robert
Thanks for the clarification Robert! John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, of course. If Luxemburg is on the route anyway, so much the better.

For me, it's only about 30km further from Calais to my home via Luxemburg which would also make it worthwhile but the section from Luxemburg to where I live is relatively slow going as quite a lot of it is non-motorway. To avoid getting home very late, I therefore don't usually bother.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts