Calling all dog owners, Whats your opinion?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The current topic on dogs has now got around to dog mess and inconsiderate owners. It seems to me that there is an increasing temptation among site owners to ban dogs as "too much trouble" and as a dog owner (we have 4) who always take 1 or 2 with us this is very worrying. I dont know what can be done to stop this as reporting offenders will only increase the site owners workload and the increase the chance of a ban so here is the question "would you be prepared to pick up any dog mess you find regardless of whose dog it has come from in the hope that it would raise the profile of considerate dog owners and help to keep the sites open for us all to enjoy with our wonderful 4 legged friends"?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not to dispose of as this will only encourage irresponcible owners to continue their antisocial behaviour - safe in the knowledge that a "good citizen" will take up his responcibility.

The best way to deal with it to watch other dog users and if they do not pick up the poo ask the owner to do so. If they refuse then collect it yourself and return it to the owner. If they become abusive take the offending item to reception - explain what occured and ask for the site to take note.

I personaly think that ALL dog owners should sign an agreement on entering the camp site that expressly states that as part of the conditions of pitch hire dog poo will be picked up. Any complaints by other site owners - with evidence! and the offender can be ejected from the site.

Frankly, the only dog owners that let their dog poo and then not pick it up were also those that left the dog in the caravan for hours barking and also had unruly kids!

We decided that any campsite that allowed those types was not for us anyway and have not been back.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim

No I would not be prepared to pick up it up unless it was in an area where it couldn't be avoided such as near our awning, car etc.

I disagree with Clive regarding confronting the owners. Not a good idea in my opinion, I could see fisticuffs or worse, people get stabbed at the drop of a hat these days. I would report someone to the site owner/warden.

I do agree with Clive's point on signing an agreement - excellent idea.

Sadly the dog mess/unruly chidren issue is a sign of the times. Selfish, nasty, arrogant people breeding the same.

Regards.

Lh

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I have not got dog yet. I can not see how it is there to say you cant bring the dog. Its like saying you can not smoke on site.

I would say if sone cud not folw the rules of the sit that thay are stoping on. Then they shud be kick off. What ether it is has they are selfish.

(we do not smoke)

One thing that I got told by a dotor was that dog poo got some think in it that can make kids go blind. it was a small chanse.

Is this rigth?

We are a bit stuk at this time about have a dog. Has i think it we think it wold be unther on the dog. It see a big step to take. Has we some time see to have a lot on ower plates.

I hope that the good people that have

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Some whent wrong.

I hope that the people who are goood with dog are put at at risk. With what one bad person is do and with what was sead by the other peson. I think it would be unfere to do this as a lot of poeple get lot out of have a pet.

MARK

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have not got dog yet. I can not see how it is there to say you cant bring the dog. Its like saying you can not smoke on site.

I would say if sone cud not folw the rules of the sit that thay are stoping on. Then they shud be kick off. What ether it is has they are selfish.

(we do not smoke)

One thing that I got told by a dotor was that dog poo got some think in it that can make kids go blind. it was a small chanse.

Is this rigth?

We are a bit stuk at this time about have a dog. Has i think it we think it wold be unther on the dog. It see a big step to take. Has we some time see to have a lot on ower plates.

I hope that the good people that have
Hi Mark, the thing your doctor warned you about is Toxicara Canis ( I think thats how its spelt!) which can cause blindness in children however it is very rare and if the dog is wormed regularly then there should be no problem. Also it is thought that children who are brought up with dogs develope an immunity so it is more a concern for people who dont have dogs.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
I also have a dog, and i find it very irritating to walk around a site and on the odd occasion step in another dogs mess. What site owners must realise is that it is not the dog's fault that the mess has not been picked up. i think it a very good idea to sign an agreement as you go on site, but hopw many people would then stick to this??

but are site owners going to ban children and parents because children make a lot of mess and are unruly. unfortunatly not all sites are like this and if, like me, you go camping with a club, then you will hardly have a problem. the biggest offenders are the people unused to the ettiquete of camping and caravanning and always use cmmercial sites as they never learn any better. i am an 18year old girl and find it very difficult to read some of tthese magazines about camping as they are always complaining about children or noise, or dogs. but plaese remember that not everywhere is like it and that there ARE ADULTS ONLY sites for those who are fed up with this noise and mess.

but dogs are not a problem, it is just inconsiderate owners, most of which hardly ever camp and dont pick up the mess at home either they should be confronted and have it explained to them tat it is unacceptable behaviour.

anyway, that is me all vented. sorry!!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All Dog owners

Went for a walk Sunday evening me the wife daughter (10) son (5). On the way back son decides he's tired and wants a shoulder carry. Up he climbs and settles down. The smell was awful I called my wife over to assist. He had trod in some dog pooh it had squelched over the top of his sandals and covered his socks and trouser bottoms. Bearing in mind he had been sitting on my shoulders you can image the state I was in. we continued back best we could being given wide births by people we meet. When we got back to the van we had little choice but to bin several items of clothing as there were no washing facilities and as I said the stench was overpowering. I can still smell it 24 hours later.

Would anyone like to hear what I think of dog owners who don't clear up after their pooches?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all dog owners and lovers. I just love dogs but do not and never have owned one.

I have a son whose is "potty" about his dog and it goes everywhere with him. it is trained to beg and do numerous doggy tricks,which leads me to beleive that dogs can be trained to go to doggy loos if they were provided by the establishment after all we have to train our children to go to the toilet. so why not dogs and other pets. Food for thought!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Both Martyn and Shiraz (do you have to use that name when I have just run out of it???) are right. Inconsiderate dog owners are a pain.

We trained our dogs to go first thing after their morning feed and again after their evening feed but only as soon as they get out of the car. Its done by letting them out in the morning after feeding and by not moving away from near the car (dogs on the lead) in the evening.

Result - poos in the garden that are promptly dealt with and poos near the car at the START of the walk that are cleared up straight away and placed in the little blue bags by one of the wheels to be collected when we return. This means we do not have to carry a bag of poo with us on our walk and that the bags are easy to pick up and take home for disposal after our walk.

This is not rocket science - it is how WE were trained as owners when we went for "dog" training - What a joke - the daogs all new what to do it was all the owners that needed training - us included. Best training course of any type that I have ever been on.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
We always take our two dogs away with us, in fact that is why we bought a caravan, and we always clean up after the dogs, wherever we are. We even clear up their mess if it is in the middle of the woods where people (especially children) would not get to. This is because our dogs have previously run in mess left by other dogs and that takes some cleaning off, especially when we are away in the caravan. I hate dog owners who fail to clean up as much as people who don't have dogs. I have previously cleaned up after other dog owners because I haven't wanted my dogs to run in it, but I find the most effective way is to offer a plastic bag to anyone who I come across who is not doing their bit. I have found that they are usually embarrassed into picking it up, especially if it is something they have clearly not done before! All I would ask is please don't judge us all as being irresponsible!

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
I used to own two dogs and now hav no dogs and one toddler. I think signing an agreement would fail as it is nigh on impossible to police. As a dog owner I always ensured I removed my dogs poo but inevitably some times I didn't see this.

Having a daughter I now am in a similar position in that I try to control any unruly behaviour but again in some instances there is a gap between her starting to misbehave and my stopping her.

I think there will always be a market for dog free sites as well as children free sites. I will always prefer a dog free site and I am sure there will be dog owners who prefer a child free site.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have 3 small dogs but totally disagree on picking up irresponsible owners dogs faeces. The kind of people who do this are bone idle and I wonder what their homes are like. If we start running around clearing up after their dogs they'll be wanting us to call around and wipe their backsides. On arrival at the C.C.C. site at Ebury Hill I was in conversation with the site manager about this very subject. Five minutes later we took our dogs on the dog walk and 5 yards from a bin was a great pile. The following day there was another pile just 3 yards from the same bin. Another bone of contention is letting their dogs off the lead when it clearly states "dogs must be kept on a lead". A few weeks ago at another C.C.C. site at Winchcombe an owner was trying to call his dog from the other side of the field without success. Eventually his dog did return and he looked a little embarrassed as he told me dogs love exercise. I told him that 1. I would have the same problem as him if I let ours off their leads - 2. while on their leads I had total control over them which I wouldnt if a dog attacked them while off their leads and 3. while on the lead I can see where they defecate and duly clear it up unlike himself when the dog is at the otherside of the field.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

Good points made in your posting.

I think this will be an ongoing subject - it's a shame the minority are giving the majority a bad name regarding picking up dog mess.

Appreicate your comments regarding dogs being off lead. This is an issue very close to my heart. Being the proud owner of a rescue dog which LOVES people but hates other dogs, we are constantly hounded by dogs off lead, whether on sites or at home local. My dog is walked on lead, muzzled. I can't tell you the amount of dogs which run off heading towards us, the owner hundreds of yards away, although my dog wears a muzzle, she could still do an injury to another dog through it. Some irresponsible owners see this as some sort of challenge with 'oh my dog will be fine, its very friendly, yours won't bother with it' etc, they soon change their mind when my dog leaps into action. I now carry a whip with me to shoo other dogs away. Another issue is, which I cant't believe, is some parents see my dog muzzled and encourage their children to come over and stroke it. I can't believe this at all - they don't know she actually loves children, what on earth is going on in the parents' heads?

Regards

Lh

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

I think this will be an ongoing subject - it's a shame the minority are giving the majority a bad name regarding picking up dog mess.

Appreicate your comments regarding dogs being off lead. This is an issue very close to my heart. Being the proud owner of a rescue dog which LOVES people but hates other dogs, we are constantly hounded by dogs off lead, whether on sites or at home local. My dog is walked on lead, muzzled. I can't tell you the amount of dogs which run off heading towards us, the owner hundreds of yards away, although my dog wears a muzzle, she could still do an injury to another dog through it. Some irresponsible owners see this as some sort of challenge with 'oh my dog will be fine, its very friendly, yours won't bother with it' etc, they soon change their mind when my dog leaps into action. I now carry a whip with me to shoo other dogs away. Another issue is, which I cant't believe, is some parents see my dog muzzled and encourage their children to come over and stroke it. I can't believe this at all - they don't know she actually loves children, what on earth is going on in the parents' heads?

Regards

Lh
We have a similar situation with our rescue GSD X - Great with people but can be funny with other dogs. We also have a Retriever that is totally different. I mention this because the Retriever is training the older dog to be more sociable.

It has taken a while but things are much improved. I know this may not suit but I now genuinely believe that having two dogs is easier than having just one.

As for your last question - the answer has to be "Not a lot"

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

Regards

Lh
i live in a high rise block of flats, we have a dog. i consider us to be responsible dog owners William (the dog) is exercised throughout the day on a local field approx 5 mins walking distance from the flat. somehow william tries his best to hold onto his mess until he gets to the edge of the field. as a precautionary measure i always have a carrier bag rolled up and tied around the handle of his flexi lead. i have picked up another dogs mess it was left outside a neighbours front door inside the block. A neighbour with young children and no dogs!! I felt embarressed to be a dog owner and believe you me picking up another dogs mess is far worse than picking up your own dogs!! maybe dog owners would act more responsible if dogs had to have a license?

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
I am amazed by how many people do not bother to clear up their dog's mess on the CC site dog walks.

I have to say that owners of small dogs appear to be the worst offenders.

David

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Never mind about the mess on caravan sites.....what about in the towns and cities.

It makes me sick when owners are too bone idle to clear up after their dogs, and then the general public has to bear the brunt of their ignorance!!

What is the problem with these people? After all what's a bit of dog poo.....your own I mean.....and no I would definately not pick up somebody elses!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well David in my experience I find it the large dogs, probably because of the great mountains they leave behind and is easier to spot but lets not go down that road. Any dog owner who refuses to pick up their dogs faeces are a lower form of life than the flies on the poo. They obviously have total disregard for anyone or their surroundings and should be banned from keeping dogs. There endeth my lesson for today ⇦ steps down off soapbox.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark, the thing your doctor warned you about is Toxicara Canis ( I think thats how its spelt!) which can cause blindness in children however it is very rare and if the dog is wormed regularly then there should be no problem. Also it is thought that children who are brought up with dogs develope an immunity so it is more a concern for people who dont have dogs.
As a small child i had a pup, we were not aware of any danger of toxicara and as a result i have been almost blind in my right eye for 30years, my eye sight in the other eye isnt as good due to the eye doing the work of 2 i always make sure my dog is wormed at regular intervals, please owners thats all it takes!!!!!!!

Maddy

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I never leave the house/caravan without a pocket full of scented nappy bags in various pockets. These bags can be purchased for less than

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
⇦ steps back on soapbox (because this is a pet subject of mine and having 3 dogs I think I'm entitled to speak). In my opinion the people who pick their dogs mess up are people who care about the environment and about other people but I'm afraid its waste of time trying to convert the ones that don't. The point that was made about children taking the dogs is very true, they wont pick it up and probably their parents think it absolves them of having to do it. What we mustn't do however is to blame just caravanners. The C.C. site at Marazion is a typical example, the wood there, despite the poo bins, is full of dog mess. So much so that I wouldnt walk my dogs there but the culprits weren't vanners, they were locals. From dawn until dusk their cars were parked at the entrance to the wood and not once when they returned did I see any of them dispose of their dogs mess in the bin by the gate. I once owned a boat on the Mon & Brec. Canal and a favourite stopping off place of ours was at Gilwern but again I wouldnt walk my dogs along the towpath because of the mess. Again that wasnt the boaters, it was the villagers who used to come along in droves about 4 times a day, morning, lunch time, early then late evening. Where I live the problems of dog mess has been reduced drastically but in some parts of the country I visit it hasn't altered at all. I feel so strongly about dog mess that if caught offenders shouldnt just be fined they should be banned from keeping dogs. ⇦ steps back down off soapbox again :O(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ann has touched on the point I was originally trying to make, that the selfish minority will spoil it for everyone. We have 4 dogs, 3 GSDs and a terrier, so I am well used to the "stuff", I probably pick up half a ton of it over a year, but if I accidently tread in some which has been left lying around and bring it in the van or the car I feel disgusted. If I feel like that imagine what it is like for someone who doesnt have dogs and is not used to it, they would probably want dogs banned and who would blame them. If I am out walking and I find some dog mess in a place where someone, especially a child, could tread in it then, as a responsible dog owner I think I should pick it up, because it reflects on all dog owners, (whether or not I always do this I will leave to your imagination, but I can tell you it gives you a wonderfully self-righteous feeling)!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
This is one of my favourite topics....dog mess!

Being the owner of a dog it makes my blood curdle when you see other peoples' dog muck left on the grass verges etc.

I am fortunate that I live only 5mins walk from my workplace,and taking my daily excercise this morning I had to dodge seven splodges of the stuff. Somebody even had the audacity to allow their dog to do its business under the dog waste bin and then left it!!!!!

I ask you!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts