Calling all dog owners, Whats your opinion?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you feel like this, Wendy, imagine how a non-dog owner would feel, especially one with children. So back to the original question, if you took a bag with you tomorrow you could pick it all up in a couple of minutes and put it in the bin, there would be nothing for anyone to complain about and you would feel very superior but---- would you do it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cant say I blame you! I have done it occasionally but I dont like doing it. I just feel that if all the considerate dog owners could get their head around the idea of clearing up after the pig-ignorant minority and also try to get the clean-up rules enforced, then it would remove the very real threat to dog friendly sites. Indignant postings achieve nothing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why doesn't someone "invent" a dog nappie and then there would no need to take the dog for a walk and have the result of the animal leaving its sxxt on its own doorstep.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I think that all these young hooligans with asbo's should be sent out with a bag and a scoop,instead of off to the lake district for a weekend of "reform", s**t picking up s**t ! what about the people who dont WANT to work, they could earn their benefit this way !!

(please note in no way am I insulting the genuine who cant work)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tis is Jims wife Pauline. Why dont all us good dog owners start and tell the idiots that dont pick up thier own dogs poo!!!!!! we could offer them a poo bag and try to shame them in to picking up there own dogs mess and explain that they are playing right into the anti-dog peoples hands, they will get the parks in this country baned to dog walkers.......

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Definitely not, no I wont pick other dogs mess up. I can live without the superiority feeling. As I posted in this thread back in August .. the owners will want us to wipe their bums next because obviously they are to idle to do it themselves. What I do find strange is theres never a response from the owners who leave it justifying why and there is thousands of them out there. While I'm again on my soapbox I'd like to reassure non dog owners that most decent dog owners feel just as strongly as them about this pooey subject.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Tis is Jims wife Pauline. Why dont all us good dog owners start and tell the idiots that dont pick up thier own dogs poo!!!!!! we could offer them a poo bag and try to shame them in to picking up there own dogs mess and explain that they are playing right into the anti-dog peoples hands, they will get the parks in this country baned to dog walkers.......
Pauline I would love to shame them but like the people they are they do it sneakily. If someone is around they pick it up so catching them isnt easy. A lot of them take their dogs under the cover of darkness too as probably most have found when going outside their homes and finding a great dollop that wasnt there the previous evening.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was also wondering why none of the guilty had responded, presumably too embarrassed. Perhaps the Moderator (or whoever) could arrange an anonymous user I.D. for replies defending unpopular or antisocial activities (or for confessions of guilt)! The Mod could always censor anything too abusive and we would be able to hear their side. I suspect we would still not get any response, they clearly dont see it as a problem and would feel no need to reply!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pauline I would love to shame them but like the people they are they do it sneakily. If someone is around they pick it up so catching them isnt easy. A lot of them take their dogs under the cover of darkness too as probably most have found when going outside their homes and finding a great dollop that wasnt there the previous evening.
If they go out at night I hope they look where they are treading!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I was also wondering why none of the guilty had responded, presumably too embarrassed. Perhaps the Moderator (or whoever) could arrange an anonymous user I.D. for replies defending unpopular or antisocial activities (or for confessions of guilt)! The Mod could always censor anything too abusive and we would be able to hear their side. I suspect we would still not get any response, they clearly dont see it as a problem and would feel no need to reply!
Exactly and no matter what we say or do it wont even touch their conscience.

Jun 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim, we also have 4 dogs who go caravaning with us all the time. We always pick up after them and so should all responsible dog owners but unfortunately not all dog owners do. I beleive there,s no bad dogs just bad owners, if it ever come to it and dogs did get banned from sites then we,d never go caravanning again because we,ve no one to leave our dogs with. Have you seen on some sites that the price to take a dog with you can be as much as 3 pound per dog. It seems the good owners are penalized for all the bad dog owners. I,d even sign a statement agreeing to keep my dogs under control and pick up after them if it helped.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I think that all these young hooligans with asbo's should be sent out with a bag and a scoop,instead of off to the lake district for a weekend of "reform", s**t picking up s**t ! what about the people who dont WANT to work, they could earn their benefit this way !!

(please note in no way am I insulting the genuine who cant work)
What an excellent idea!!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jim, we also have 4 dogs who go caravaning with us all the time. We always pick up after them and so should all responsible dog owners but unfortunately not all dog owners do. I beleive there,s no bad dogs just bad owners, if it ever come to it and dogs did get banned from sites then we,d never go caravanning again because we,ve no one to leave our dogs with. Have you seen on some sites that the price to take a dog with you can be as much as 3 pound per dog. It seems the good owners are penalized for all the bad dog owners. I,d even sign a statement agreeing to keep my dogs under control and pick up after them if it helped.
Erica the culprits would also sign but it doesnt mean they would pick it up. There is no answer to this problem really because they will carry on letting their dogs carry on fouling no matter what is said. If where they live has dog wardens maybe a hefty fine might change their outlook but in most I dont think it would. Personally I dont use sites where they charge for dogs because it would be too expensive with 3 little ones.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
No...I have only once used a site where they charge for dogs...that wasn't a highly rateable site either!!! Definately would not return, dog or no dog!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Erica, you are exactly the sort of person I was aiming the question at. You are obviously a responsible dog owner but, like us, would really suffer from a dog ban. I dont know what the solution is, everyone says the same thing "its disgusting, we always pick up, its the owners not the dogs etc." but, as they say, "s--t happens" and it seems it will keep happening until the culprits are re-educated or dogs are banned.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Erica the culprits would also sign but it doesnt mean they would pick it up. There is no answer to this problem really because they will carry on letting their dogs carry on fouling no matter what is said. If where they live has dog wardens maybe a hefty fine might change their outlook but in most I dont think it would. Personally I dont use sites where they charge for dogs because it would be too expensive with 3 little ones.
Pauline this time. Maybe its time that we had more dog wardens and working shifts so that they are around at the time they are needed . ie weekends and evenings!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dog wardens should work shift so they can be about at the right time of the day or night and also at the weekend this may help if they could get the funding Pauline

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I hae just returned from walking my little dog. Usually, it is a very pleasant experience but since the local Council have seen fit to site 'doggy bins' around the green belt area I was mortified to find that, presumably children/teenagers, have accessed the bins, opened the bags and thrown excrement all over the place! What sort of intelligence do they have.

The Council would have been well advised to save the money and leave it as it was. Most people picked up their dog dirt anyway and took it home for binning.

I fear the worst since November 5th is only just round the corner!!! Most of the bins will be targets I'm afraid by these young hooligans.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
A couple of years ago we were walking in a NT heathland site and the instructions there on dealing with dog poo was to knock it to the side into the heather, with a handy stick I presume,(you had to stick to the footpaths for other reasons than poo dodging). The reason given for this was that the plastic bag use was causing more of a disposal probelm enviromentally than the offending poo!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ann - we had similar problem a group of lads who turned out to be 12 to 13 yrs got sticks to hook out the poo bags then they used these sticks to sling the bog of poo at peoples doors.

Thing is they were not very bright because a guy in the house next to the dog poo recepticle got his video camera out and filmed them doing it!

No more problem! Mind you the initial reaction from the parents was "My son would not do that!" Only when presented with the evidence did they accept that their little darlings could do such a thing.

Jun 28, 2005
Visit site
we take our dog with us,and we always clean up after her,but i wouldnt want to clean other peoples dog mess up,that is the responsibility of their owners.twice on sites now my 7 year old has trod in other dogs mess.dont the owners know that it is ahealth issue,especially for youngsters.i would ban persistent messers if it was up to me

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A couple of years ago we were walking in a NT heathland site and the instructions there on dealing with dog poo was to knock it to the side into the heather, with a handy stick I presume,(you had to stick to the footpaths for other reasons than poo dodging). The reason given for this was that the plastic bag use was causing more of a disposal probelm enviromentally than the offending poo!!
I have often wondered how the council dispose of the stuff out of the dog bins, I must ask the guy next time I see him emptying them. It would clearly not decompose quickly with each piece neatly wrapped in a poly bag, keep fresh (!) for ages, and could be difficult for the NT to deal with. By the way, sounds like a great site, where is it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Adrian, glad to hear you always clean up after your dog and I completely understand why you wouldnt want to clean up after someone else's but your last sentence perfectly illustrates why I would like you and all dog owners to think about whether they could give it a try. I know its not your responsibility but the last sentence writen by a non dog owner would read " I would ban dogs if it was up to me ".

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Here , on the Isle of Wight, there is a byelaw covering the whole of the Council owned land, including roads, and some private land ( that which the owner has asked to be included in the byelaw) which makes it an offence to not clear up after your dog, with a

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts