Calling Caravan Club Members...

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Does any CC members have any experience of allowing family members to use their vans whilst on CC site?

My Daughter and family (who are not at this time caravan owners) will be using my van during August for their holiday.

My question concerns their status to the CC. As they are not members and will be staying in our van without our presence, will one of them have to become a member or can they be affiliated via my existing membership?

Hope someone who has experience of this situation may be able to give me guidance.

Many thanks

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've often done it for my sister and her family. They're borrowing our caravan again this year. She just takes along my membership card, and her partner (not the same name) pays the bill. No one has ever questioned it, and to be honest we've never thought about it. They've been to Clumber Park several times over quite a few years.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks to all who replied....

As some of you have correctly pointed out my daughter had to become a member or pay the none member pitch rate.

We got round the joining fee

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had to pay full membership for my son and another full membership for our daughter to use our caravan on a seasonal pitch plus they still have to pay the per night fee (as though they had towed the van there themselves) because they don't live at home. Have asked the club if they would set up an affiliated family membership (i.e. immediate family/grown up children but was told only family members living at the exact same address could be added to a membership. All others, even if they are your own children have to pay in full.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul,

we think the Caravan Club membership is very good value and the maps and mags are just an extra perk.

If you join a club to use their sites you expect to get some benefit over non members otherwise what's the point of joining a club? A cut off point has to be made somewhere and wherever it is will always seem unfair to someone.

It's a shame that you feel the way you do, but there are some of us that appreciate how much we have had out of our membership over many years.

Maybe your daughter will read the magazine and enjoy it instead of putting it straight in the bin and once she discovers the network of CL's she may want to borrow the caravan for a few weekends too!

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul,

we think the Caravan Club membership is very good value and the maps and mags are just an extra perk.

If you join a club to use their sites you expect to get some benefit over non members otherwise what's the point of joining a club? A cut off point has to be made somewhere and wherever it is will always seem unfair to someone.

It's a shame that you feel the way you do, but there are some of us that appreciate how much we have had out of our membership over many years.

Maybe your daughter will read the magazine and enjoy it instead of putting it straight in the bin and once she discovers the network of CL's she may want to borrow the caravan for a few weekends too!
If people keep abusing the system by handing out their membership cards to all and sundry the CC will soon become suspicious and we will have to have our photo put onto the cards. Ken

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

We booked two weeks at a Caravan Club site for my wife's parents to stay one week and her aunt and uncle to stay the next week. I did not notice that it was a members only site until the beginning of the month, however having noticed this they both joined the club.

On arriving at the site today (with my in-laws) we were told that as we were not staying on the site they would have to cancel the booking and re-book it for two separate bookings (one for my in laws and one for my wife's aunt and uncle). This to my mind was a "bit over the top" and when I asked why the warden told me that a few years ago there was a murder at a site (he did not specify that it was a Caravan Club site) and the police had dictated that they needed to know who was staying in a caravan on a site.

As it happens we had just picked the caravan up from a commercial site where my daughter and her partner had been staying in it for a few days and all they required was the registration number of the car that would be driving in and out of the site. They did not require details of who was staying in the caravan (although this information could have been obtained through the registration number (this could also however be obtained from my in-laws registration number).

To be honest it was a nightmare for the warden to cancel my booking and then make two seperate bookings (not to mention what would have happened should someone have booked the space for the second week whilst the warden had cancelled the original booking (given that she said that there were no spaces left the following week!!).

My feeling is that if the case was as the warden had stated then all caravan sites would need to follow this and not just Caravan Club sites.

As it happens it was all sorted out but it was a hassle that I don't think we needed to go through. What is especially annoying is that when I asked at the start of all this if I would be able to pay the total the warden had said yes - after having split the bookings she then said that she would have to split the cost and my father-in-law presented his card and she said that my wife's aunt and uncle would have to pay when they arrived. It was one of these situations where I wanted to "gift" the stay to my wife's in laws and aunt and uncle but could not now do this and I suppose this is what really annoyed me and I feel that the situation could have been avoided (and to be honest I am not happy with the explanation from the warden).

Sorry this is a ramble but I wanted to get it off my chest.

The main thing I suppose is I don't understand why the member who is staying has to be the person who booked the site????? as long as who are staying on the site are members - I suppose I don't accept the warden's reason but perhaps I am wrong and I wondered what everyone else thought.

Cheers

RichardC

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
RJC,

If members were allowed to stay on site who had not actually made the booking, and the site was full, this would be unfair to members who had been trying to book that particular site.

It would mean that a member who had made a booking and could not fulfill that booking could offer the place to a friend or anyone else, who was a member.This would be unfair to members who had been trying to book.

The way the booking system works all members are equal on a first come first booked basis.To my knowledge this has worked well on members only sites for many years. It may seem harsh at times but it ensures all members are equal.

This is just my opinion as a long time club member.

Hamer

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hamer

Personally I don't see the problem as long as its a member (as it would have to be on a members only site)that gets the booking. In any case this was not the explanation I got from the warden.

Anyway my in-laws are now on the site and no real harm was done in the end but I would be interested to know why the club have this rule.

I will check the handbook when I get home (working away from home at the moment)and can't find the rules and regulations on the website.

Cheers

RichardC

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
RJC.

I noticed that you would have liked to gift the site fees.....do you know that you can buy gift vouchers on line from the Club which can be used to cover site fees?

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
RJC,

From the Sites Directory and Handbook.

Page 45 "Additional Information" number 3.

"On a members only site,the caravan must be used by a Full, Joint or Family Member but at sites open to non members, a non member relative or friend may use the caravan in your absence providing permission has been given by the warden in advance and non members fees are paid."

Hamer

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
RJC,

Forgot to say the definition of joint and Family Members is as follows.

" As a full member you may nominate another adult(18yrs+) related to you ,and living at the same address and sharing the same outfit,as a joint member at no extra cost. Joint members receive their own membership card and enjoy the same benefits as full members " Family membership is also available at a small charge for any adult(18yrs+) related to you, living at the same address and sharing the same outfit. Family members also receive their own membership card."

Hamer

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hamer

Thanks for this - as I said I don't have access to my handbook. It is interesting that in relation to the section relating to the members only site it says that the caravan must be used by a member but does not mention that the pitch must have been booked by the member who is staying in the caravan.

Thanks for the info on the gift vouchers - I will bear this in mind for the future.

My In-laws and my wife's uncle and aunt both joined as full members so they are full members in their own right and not family members because I know that a family member must reside at the same address and they don't.

As I said I am not really that bothered now but if I don't understand why a particular rule is there (and in this case it does not even appear to be a rule in accordance with the handbook)I ask the question and in this case I was not happy with the answer (for the reasons outlined above). I suppose I don't like being "fobbed off".

Cheers

RJC

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
If people keep abusing the system by handing out their membership cards to all and sundry the CC will soon become suspicious and we will have to have our photo put onto the cards. Ken
I agree with you Kenneth,and the cost will be passed onto us...........the honest members',site fee's are already at a premium and as we all know,money is tight,but the general standard of facility is excellent on these site's so do the decent thing Paul and appreciate what your paying for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts