Calor Lite 6kg?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
boltonbob said:
I don't know who started this rumour but calor have refuted it on at least two other forums i.e. calorlite will continue

But it is continuing, they just arent making any new bottles, so the 1/2 million in circulation will be exchanged as normal as they arent going to scrap them.You can swap for a normal cylinder if you want , its just an option.
Looking for a new material? this could be years away before they are ready for resale.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Calor Gas to Phase Out 6kg Lite Cylinder

Calor Gas has announced that it is to phase out its 6kg Calor Lite cylinder, and is planning to launch a new model for the caravanning market.

The company's announcement stated that it will continue to invest in its standard 6kg cylinder, for which demand continues to grow, and that it will increase investment in the cylinder to £1 million this year. Calor Gas's has research underway into a new, improved 'leisure/caravan cylinder', one factor of which will be its weight.

As for the 6kg Calor Lite cylinder, it will be harder to get hold of replacement stock as the firm runs down the discontinued model. Customers will be able to get a standard 6kg cylinder as a free replacement where suppliers no longer have the Lite version available.

The recall of 6kg Calor Lite cylinders made between 2008 and 2011 is to be closed from 1st July 2017. Customers with recall vouchers who present them to suppliers after this date will still be able to use them. They will be given either a direct replacement, or the standard 6kg cylinder, depending upon availability.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I'm confused :( spoke to my caravan dealer today to check which type of gas bottle they are supplying with the van, he told me the lite version, when I queried the fact this will no longer be available soon, he said that has been happening for the last 2 years and they are still in use. So I will be supplied with a calor lite, but with everyone saying they are purchasing them on ebay etc, what happens when they need refilling? Are they refilled there and then when you go to the calor depot or are you just given a replacement like for like? Because if this is the case, there is no point in purchasing one on ebay as when it needs refilling you will just be handing it over with no assurity there will be one to replace it? :dry:

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Our gas usage gives about 2 seasons on 1 Calorlite, so at that rate the new lighter lite bottle will be available for when we next need a refill / exchange :p :p

We don't have a 'bottle rental agreement', just challenged Calor after over 50 yeas of swapping and changing varicous bottles handed down from me dad as to why we should pay their rip off charge for the new fangled lite bottle. As with most [strike]bullies[/strike] large companies, they back down when presented with a robust argument.

If you use considerably more gas than most, perhaps a self refillable bottle like SafeFill is the better choice when lashing out cash on a new bottle with a new caravan. Is the cost of 1 Safefill around that of 2 Calorlite bottles, or 1 Calorlite rental agreement and approx 3.5 refills / exchanges, or is my man maths incorrect. :p

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
JanBn said:
I'm confused :( spoke to my caravan dealer today to check which type of gas bottle they are supplying with the van, he told me the lite version, when I queried the fact this will no longer be available soon, he said that has been happening for the last 2 years and they are still in use. So I will be supplied with a calor lite, but with everyone saying they are purchasing them on ebay etc, what happens when they need refilling? Are they refilled there and then when you go to the calor depot or are you just given a replacement like for like? Because if this is the case, there is no point in purchasing one on ebay as when it needs refilling you will just be handing it over with no assurity there will be one to replace it? :dry:
I wouldnt worry, there are hundreds of thousands in circulation, by stopping new sales it keeps the people that have the cylinders already happy as they will have a buffer stock which in theory will always be there so you will always be able exchange.
Also people buy from Ebay as its cheaper because if you want a new cylinder a new rental agreement is £39.99 .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MichaelE said:
EH52ARH said:
JanBn, when you pick up your new caravan, remember to ask for the rental agreement forms for the gas bottles, then at least if nothing else you can give the bottles back to Calor and get some refund.
Hutch.
The refund is a sliding scale down to 25% after 7 , but if you are given the bottles in the first place why try and complicate things for a tenner?
You can also get more for them on certain auction sites.

But as you don't own them you have no legal right to sell them!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
JanBn, when your gas bottle is empty, you take it to a supplier, this can be a camping shop or certain garden centers. And they will replace it with a full one, I have been told that Go outdoors give you a discount if you have one of their cards, but have never used that. Your usage is totally dependent on yourself, BBQ or Cadacing on gas running your heating in winter on gas and electric, it all varies.
Just enjoy.
Hutch

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
The CC / camc / wotever membership card gets additional discount at Go Outdoors, in conjunction with your GO card, making it the lowest price Calorlite refill out there. I found out recently after purchase of a Calorlite Refill / recharge :angry:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calor-calor-lite-6kg-propane-refill-p119713
Brings it down to £19.43. They even offer a find it cheaper and they'll beat it by 10% deal, which is well worthwhile for lots of things. We got our Cadac there on a beat it by 10% deal too :p

Builders merchants (some) also stock Calorlite bottles.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
MichaelE said:
EH52ARH said:
JanBn, when you pick up your new caravan, remember to ask for the rental agreement forms for the gas bottles, then at least if nothing else you can give the bottles back to Calor and get some refund.
Hutch.
The refund is a sliding scale down to 25% after 7 , but if you are given the bottles in the first place why try and complicate things for a tenner?
You can also get more for them on certain auction sites.

But as you don't own them you have no legal right to sell them!!
I know that and you know that but it doesnt stop the sale of them privately, even the local dump sell them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Prof, the fact that Calor are not worried about the leagalities of having a rental agreement. By buying back cylinders, without the forms gives everyonena free hand, so forget it. .
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Prof, the fact that Calor are not worried about the leagalities of having a rental agreement. By buying back cylinders, without the forms gives everyonena free hand, so forget it. .
Hutch.

Hutch they are not buying back they are refunding some of the rental. We have been here before, the bottles are not ours to sell.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Prof, very true but Calor are not bothered about their rental agreements, so why should any one else. Calor want the cylinders back, thats why they are doing this, buy back. They know people buy and swop.

Prof Calor are "Buying back, " not refunding look at their website, .

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
No, in the case of the "£7.50 for any returned cylinders" offer they are not 'paying back some of the rental' . They are paying a 'bounty' to anyone who takes the trouble to locate (and return to them) their rightfully owned property.

Interestingly, Flogas are also currently paying for returned cylinders, varying from £5 for the popular smaller sizes down to a measly £1 for 13kg and upwards. Can't be scrap value then, so where are the smaller sizes disappearing to?

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I always thought Calor overcharged for their 6Kg bottles and went over to BP/Flogas.
Since Homebase was bought out, their price for these is very competitive. Last one I got was £28 for 10Kg.
Come on CMC/CCC move forward and see what's available.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Never used a ripoff Calorite. ....I use Calor13kg Propane as I can fit one in my caravan front locker....much cheaper :)
I also have standard 6kgs cylinders.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Ah!! -- But 'cheapness' and 'lightness' are different considerations. ( PS changed one 'lite' Saturday morning another to do next week.) - Bill for cheapness during our rallying days used to buy 19kg. propriety brands and refill my own 6's. from it - still got the kit but don't use enough gas now to 'clat' about! -- That'll get the 'tuts' going?) --- But don't tell anyone!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Don't do aquarols or a bags to put them in.
Don't do a Wastemaster .
Don't have a mover.....never needed one yet.
Don't have an awning.
Don't have a windbreak.
Don't have a Cadac
Don't have a drill and its charger just a light weight hand winder.
Don't have a fixed bed and an extra 6ft of caravan body.
Don't have a microwave in the caravan.....it is portable and travels in the car.
Don't have two Calorite cylinders.

I figure I can have one heavier gas cylinder and the caravan still only weighs 1150kgs ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts