CAMC Digital obsession

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were given site vouchers for Christmas for CAMC which are very welcome, but I am uncomfortable with the clubs obsession with making them digital,it used to be the case that a voucher was a physically printed coupon that you could hand in at reception, when gifted it felt like you had been given 'something', now it is just a square with random squiggles, that we have to trust will work on arrival.In the past card machines haven't been working on arrival and we have had to pitch and return to reception to pay later, not a deal breaker but the opportunity for the scanner in reception to be out of action does introduce an element of doubt in my mind. Coincidentally our membership was due this week, and it was easy and pain free to renew on line using card payment. Then the obsession with going digital kicked in again as I had to request a physical membership card. Ok for those of you that are happy with digital but I do not have a smart phone with internet and wi fi, it is my choice,and not only does the card provide proof of up to date membership, but the card allows discounts at some shops and attracations. For me it would be more sensible to have an opt out of physical card option for those who want to use digital. May be I am a dinosaur and will eventually become exctinct, but for now I have experienced too many examples of power cuts or internet not working to rely on digital only,

Reactions: Firkle
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were given site vouchers for Christmas for CAMC which are very welcome, but I am uncomfortable with the clubs obsession with making them digital,it used to be the case that a voucher was a physically printed coupon that you could hand in at reception, when gifted it felt like you had been given 'something', now it is just a square with random squiggles, that we have to trust will work on arrival.In the past card machines haven't been working on arrival and we have had to pitch and return to reception to pay later, not a deal breaker but the opportunity for the scanner in reception to be out of action does introduce an element of doubt in my mind. Coincidentally our membership was due this week, and it was easy and pain free to renew on line using card payment. Then the obsession with going digital kicked in again as I had to request a physical membership card. Ok for those of you that are happy with digital but I do not have a smart phone with internet and wi fi, it is my choice,and not only does the card provide proof of up to date membership, but the card allows discounts at some shops and attracations. For me it would be more sensible to have an opt out of physical card option for those who want to use digital. May be I am a dinosaur and will eventually become exctinct, but for now I have experienced too many examples of power cuts or internet not working to rely on digital only,
Yep agree with all the above. Again probably a minority are being catered for instead of the majority all in the name of "going green". We also requested the physical card and that was a real hassle almost as if you were being forced to go digital. Eventually I had to phone as the link would not work.

In my opinion members be given the option whether they want to go digital or not as after all many people do not have a Smartphone.

Reactions: Challenger
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just an update, had e mail today reminding us to renew our membership, which we had already renewed, so digital cannot recognise renewal has been paid before sending reminder,how long before they send us a virtual reality headset so that we don't have the inconvenience of towing our caravan to their sites, we can stay at home and reduce pollution at the same time as enjoying a virtual campsite, presumably with the ability to select the weather as well!

Reactions: Mel
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Whilst at home from your computer just print out the voucher and your membership card, then you have a "physical" item to present to the site.
Its what I do with Ryan air as C doesn't like their electronic check in.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I agree the CAMC has a digital obsession but they are by far the only one's!
Just look at the banks and the number of shops that have gone CARD ONLY!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gumpy
Your suggestion is what we are obliged to do, but even that does not satisfy my need, as once on site the special code is scanned and money taken off , and I have to remember what value is left, with physical vouchers they had a printed value and could be used just like cash.In many ways I suspect 'digital' is used by companies. not just CAMC,for their benefit and is then dressed up as environmentaly friendly, when in reality it is just cost cutting on the companies behalf with no thought to the customer. I currently have a dispute with a mobile phone company and when you contact them by e mail as requested it generates an automatic e mail that says they have7 days to respond, after 7 days when they have not responded, I contact them again and get the same e mail. All I would like is for firms to at least try to put the customer first and allow easy contact with a human being who has the authority to make things happen, Then they send me a survey asking me to comment on my experience with them,I give them the lowest possible mark, I don't suppose a human being sees the result of my survey, I suspect a machine dismisses it as outside the realms of acceptance.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t think the club is unique in this respect. Most organisationsvare moving in that direction. Personally I have no problemm with it, though I did not find the transition easy and my wife still fights against it.

However. The transition process is still running and will be for some more years. In the meantime I feel that organisations, such as clubs, should give members a choice.

Last week we went to the Christmas lights at Westenbirt. We had digital tickets which we could have printed out . But they actually requested we only use our phones to save paper.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As said above more and more organisations are moving towards a paperless approach. I’m at I present dealing with two bad debts from BG legal services. One for British Gas the other for EON. Both claim my BiL has unpaid bills yet the date starts on the day his house sale completed and were clearly related to the new owners. Using the phone got nowhere as they were “ experiencing an unusually large number of calls.” Using their web contact form just generated a standard email saying they would respond within 7-28 days. Their web contact form provided no copy of my input comments for the record. Their instructions said only original letters from utility companies would be accepted. But difficult since the utility correspondence was all paperless. So no alternative but to send BGlegal a pdf copy of e- letters confirming the accounts were closed.
I shudder to think how someone who cannot use the internet would deal with this type of situation. I can handle it for my BiL but he wouldn’t have the ability to deal with it being in a care home, no mobile and cannot write because of Parkinsons.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As said above more and more organisations are moving towards a paperless approach. I’m at I present dealing with two bad debts from BG legal services. One for British Gas the other for EON. Both claim my BiL has unpaid bills yet the date starts on the day his house sale completed and were clearly related to the new owners. Using the phone got nowhere as they were “ experiencing an unusually large number of calls.” Using their web contact form just generated a standard email saying they would respond within 7-28 days. Their web contact form provided no copy of my input comments for the record. Their instructions said only original letters from utility companies would be accepted. But difficult since the utility correspondence was all paperless. So no alternative but to send BGlegal a pdf copy of e- letters confirming the accounts were closed.
I shudder to think how someone who cannot use the internet would deal with this type of situation. I can handle it for my BiL but he wouldn’t have the ability to deal with it being in a care home, no mobile and cannot write because of Parkinsons.
Back in the day when letters were used, a friend was having difficulty getting replies to deal with his tax issue. He discovered that sending a telegram threw them as they had no pigeonhole to deal with them, so, they dealt immediately. I don’t know how he received his reply.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Back in the day when letters were used, a friend was having difficulty getting replies to deal with his tax issue. He discovered that sending a telegram threw them as they had no pigeonhole to deal with them, so, they dealt immediately. I don’t know how he received his reply.

John
I wonder if you can still send telegrams as surely they are in use somewhere in the world?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would go along with the idea of printing the voucher and if it is for more than your spend put a note on it to show what is left. Going digital is a way of cutting costs and saving paper, so we may just have to live with it. I am probably half dinosaur in that I use some things but cannot manage others.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would go along with the idea of printing the voucher and if it is for more than your spend put a note on it to show what is left. Going digital is a way of cutting costs and saving paper, so we may just have to live with it. I am probably half dinosaur in that I use some things but cannot manage others.
Who is saving, the consumer or the business? Are we seeing a reduction in membership fees?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For some time suppliers at work have e mailed invoices, as we stil keep a paper file system , it is our paper and our ink that is used to print off their invoices, saves them money, but costs us money, As for printing voucher and writing the balance on it, no comment

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts