Camping Jungfrau

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, taking our van abroad for the first time this year and looking at switzerland and Jungfrau in particular. Would love to hear from anyone who's stayed on this site (via eurocamp Independent) and if they found it good or bad. Choosing it cos we love walking/cycling and would like to ride some of those mountain railways/cable cars and see the scenery!

Going on Eurotunnel and can anyone reccomend an overnight stop about 2-4 hours from Calais (swiss bound).

Thanks in advance Andy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy, we're going over for 2 weeks in March (Easter) Let me have your email address & I'll report back to you. Incidentally, we booked direct via their website, they are ever so helpful, respond in English and only wanted a 50 Swiss Franc deposit. The whole 2 weeks will only cost us about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Please, Andy do stick to your original plan and take an overnight stop on the way down. Calais to the site may only be 520 miles,but that is in addition to any time you have spent on the road before arriving at Dover, probably after a very early start to your day. Moreover, legal towing speeds may be higher - but how much faster than 60 mph can you SAFELY tow? And even if you do it in a day, you will arrive exhausted - what sort of start to a holiday is that?

Have you thought about which route you may take? It would be easier to advise on good overnight stops if we knew. Two that come to mind around a couple of hours from Calais are 'Le Vivier au Carpes' at Seraucourt (near St Quentin) or 'Au Bord de l'Ain' at Guignicourt, just north of Reims. By the way, I would take the chance to do a hypermarket shop while you are in France. Swiss supermarkets tend to be on the small side, so we always indulge in a good stock-up before we get there.

Enjoy your holiday!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stopped at Chalons en Champagne on our way to Switzerland.It is a clean tidy site used by a lot of Brits on their way to & from the ferries.English is spoken as well.

Address:-Camping Municipal,

Rue de Plaisance

51000 Chalons en Champagne

Tel no.( 03 26 68 38 00)We certainly found that this stop was far enough as we were definitely tired after coming off the ferry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike/Chrissie, thankyou both for your answers. If you want to email me on uncleandy1961@lycos.co.uk I will reply with my normal email address. Title it "Jungfrau" so I can spot it amounst all the spam!! It would be great to hear from you both.

Our train doesn't get us into france untill 3-30pm local time (this already booked but hadnt decided where to go at that time!)hence my reqiurement for an overnight stop. Thanks Chrissie for the tip on 'Au Bord de l'Ain' at Guignicourt, I've seen this one mentioned several times on this forum, have yopu stayed there yourself?

Route'll be A26/A5 to its junction of the A31 at Langres. This was my thought for an over night, then a nice early start across country via Besancon/Pontarlier to Lausanne.

As for speed well I'll nudge 70mph where conditions allow (ie not much traffic around me and for romping up hills) but 60-65 everywhere else on dual carrigeways/motorways and just cruisin' with the flow on attractive x-country routes - my preferred choice time permitting (outfit well up to it Mike, BMW 530d Touring and Spectrum 419).

We did france a couple of years ago with Eurocamp in their mobile homes at Sampzon (ardeche) and Camp du Verdon (Castellane). Really enjoyed it and been itching to get back, have to take turns with the boss though as she prefers the carribean in (our) winter (I understand the appeal as I look out the window!).

Thanks both once again, I'm really looking forward to it. Andy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chrissie and Maureen, thankyou both for your reply's. I will try the municiple at Langres (if we get that far on our crossing day!). If not then 'Au Bord de l'Ain' at Guignicourt it is!

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi personally i would recommend Jungfraublick camping as the Outdoor pursuit company Outdoor Interlaken have a base next to camping site.The campsite is 20min walk to centre of town and Outdoor have a bar and basic restaurant plus various entertainment which kids can use.Also dont forget your swiss motorway tax for car and caravan which can be ordered beforehand (recommended ) from the Swiss Embassy in London.When ur ther you must do the Schilthorn for the best views in Switzerland.Water rafting is good speak to Nootch or John at Outdoor and mention my name and they will look after you well.

ATB

Eddie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again Andy,

Just been looking at paperwork for when we did our Swiss trip.You are more or less using the same route as we took.After going through Besancon we took a second overnight stay at Camping Caravanning De Saint-Point Lac ( Doubs ) which wasn't too far from Pontarlier.Bought our vignettes at the border next morning and they insisted on being paid in Euros,which surprised us.

The following web-sites will interest you:-www.myswitzerland.com

www.schilthorn.ch

www.jungfraubahn.ch

The journey to the Jungfrau is expensive BUT it is NOT to be missed.Extra clothing is absolutely essential at the top regardless of it being summertime at ground level.It's a memory you'll keep for ever!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy check this website out for Interlaken and surrounding districts it has links for everything you will need in the Bernese Oberland

WWW.Interlakentourism.ch

Any info you need email me

Eddie@2xharley.gotadsl.co.uk

as we have spent numerous holidays round the Bernese Oberland.

ATB

Eddie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Highly recommended site; excellent location - great for using network of trains/cable cars etc for a whole variety of routes. Lauterbrunnen station easy walk from the site, just leave the car on site. Loads of options to combine walking etc. Site sits in bottom of dramatic glacial valley. In common with most of Switzerland things are expensive, but good quality. Site is well maintained, some of the pitches a bit small (again common in Switzerland), but if its not peak season then you should be OK. Good facilities on site - and it's now open all year I believe (for the skiing). While in this area recommend trips to Schilthorn summit, Murren, Wengen, Jungfrau summit, Interlaken, Grindelwald....you won't run out of things to do. Camping Jungfrau is excellently placed for all of these. Enjoy your trip! Richard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maureen, Eddie and Richard many thanks. I'll certainly check the link and Richard thanks particulaly to you, these were exactly the sort of things I wanted to know. Jungfrau summit sounds exciting, can anyone recall the cost?

Andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts