Camping Le'tang de la Brech Saumur

May 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi All . We are trying to decide on a site in the Loire valley region . This is our 3rd year of caravanning and our 1st trip to France with our van. We have 2 children , a girl 15 & a boy 10 so need a site to suit both. If there happy , we are happy!! Can anyone advise on this site or recommend another in the area. We must have a fishing lake. Many Thanks Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark - where does one start! Firstly the vast majority of sites have fishing either on site, adjacent or very close by. It seems to be the national pastime in France. Even supermarkets sell tackle.

L'Etang de la Breche is a beautiful site just outside Saumur. Full facilities and big pitches. A few years since we stayed but we called in last year to visit friends who were there. There are quite a lot of tour operators on the site but this does not detract from it. I assume you are going in school holidays and I think the site will run activities for the kids. Others in the immediate area you could consider are Camping Chantepie the other side of Saumur on the hill top; Brissac which is a little further away and owned by the same organisation as Chantepie: Isle d'Offard, which is on the Island a 5 minut walk from Saumur centre: Camping L'Isle Verte at Montsoreau. This is a little further down the river from Saumur and is directly on the riverside. We have stayed at all these at various times. You may have guessed that we love the Saumur area! The town itself has a great deal to keep you all entertained. The tank museum is very interesting. You must also visit several of the sparkling wine manufacturers, although perhaps the children won't be as interested in this!

If you want any more info let me know

DavidC

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And not forgetting 'Le Chant d'Oiseau' run by Suart and Syb. Super site in the middle of rural France.
You reading my mind Evans!!Isn't it just a smashing site? We could only manage a few days there last year, and sadly won't have time to go back in 2008, but we will get back. I just love the whole ambience of the place, and the very welcome coffee on arrival.If ever a couple of people deserved success it's got to be Stu and Syb.

May 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks David for your kind reply. We will definately be going to this area. Will have a look at the other sites suggested by you and emmerson- not forgetting evans of sprot. How long on average do think it will take us for the journey from calais and is there website where i can obtain current road toll charges . Due to us not towing in France as yet I thought it would be a good time to start my planning. As you can see we are looking forward to our summer holiday. Thanks Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark,It took us about 7 hours from Saumur to Dunkirk via Rouen. This was quite a leisurly drive, with LPG and food stops, but we neverless averaged 63mph. Its an easy route, and from memory (but thats not infallible) the tolls were about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

I am so sorry - I forgot about Le Chant!!! And we were only there in June 2007! Certainly one of the best sites I have ever been on. We shall certainly go back to that one.

Tolls can vary depending on the day you travel and you pay more for a caravan. look on www.autoroutes.fr for details. You can also get good directions off www.viamichelin.com.

I recommend you go from Calais via Rouen and Le Mans. it is quicker than Paris and tours which some route planners take you!

Yes it is 7 ish hours on the autoroute but they are a lot quieter than UK and service areas are superb so you just stop when you want. It was 318 miles according to my log from Calais to Le Chant in June so it was a comfortable tow. Although it is opposite side of road towing in France is easier than UK!

DavidC

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
If you select 'options' on viamichelin and tick caravan it will the toll costs for the outfit at each payment point. Very handy if paying cash as "the boss" can have the correct money ready.

Chrispy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Evans & davidc, will you please stop extolling the virtues of le Chant d'Oiseau! It'll get too popular, and I might not be able to get on!

Seriously, its good to see other people have enjoyed the site. It really is a joy to stay there. be careful of Stuart though -- he'll help you with whisky bottle!

(mind you, the hospitality is repaid fourfold)

May 13, 2007
Visit site
Many Thanks to you all for your kind assistance. After alot of looking we have booked the L'tang de brech site for our august holiday. Cant wait now. have also booked the boat and got quite a good price. A thought though, can any of you tell me whether I need to purchase a reverse polarity socket for this site.

Happy Holidays to all

many thanks

mark

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We are also booking l'etang de Breche for the end of August. We stayed on the east side of Tours last August at Chateau le Grenoulliere and visited Chambord & Chenonceau - just wanted to try a different area this year.

I would suggest that you always take a reverse polarity lead as, even if you do not need it at this site, you may wish to move or call in at another site for some reason en route and it may be needed. Some sites also have different parts of the sites with different electrical requirements i.e. adaptor plug / reverse polarity. Be prepared!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many Thanks to you all for your kind assistance. After alot of looking we have booked the L'tang de brech site for our august holiday. Cant wait now. have also booked the boat and got quite a good price. A thought though, can any of you tell me whether I need to purchase a reverse polarity socket for this site.

Happy Holidays to all

many thanks

mark
You can never be sure about reversals as they do not exist on the continent, so make up a reversed connection, the ideal is at the caravan end NOT the E/L pillar end. I paint mine red so it stands out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark

You cannot tell with reverse polarity because the outputs may be wired differently on the same site. some will be ok and some will be reversed! make yourself a lead and carry it in your gadget box so wherever you are you are covered! Also buy a French adapter as some sites have our CEE17 outlets and some the European ones. You will have to make the revers polarity lead as you cant buy them. buy the two CEE17 plugs and a metre of wire. Wire one plug correctly and on the other deliberately wire "neutral" to "live" and vice versa. Then when on site plug in your tester plug in the van [you will have to buy that as well!] and if it shows reverse polarity put the lead into the connection.

It is also a good idea to mark the reverse lead somehow so that you never use it by accident.

Hope this helps

Emmerson sorry about that but it is a superb site! We had one very good night with Stu Syb and our neighbours with a bottle of Puerto Rican Rum given to me when I was in the States. But as you say his Wednesday meals are worth far more than he charges!!

Mar 18, 2007
Visit site

Happy Holidays to all

many thanks

mark
Standard U.K. type electric bollards at this campsite. Great site, only draw back is the distance to nearest supermarket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts