Campsites in Italy

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
We hope to go to Italy next year for an extended holiday, but we have a twin axle caravan. Have any of you got any recommendations for campsites that give you a little extra space? We hope to go down the east side and cross over somewhere near Naples and the Amalfi coast, then work our way back up the west side. Also, are there any 'better' times to visit Italy? We were thinking about setting off in April as neither of us is very good with extreme heat!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
http://www.camping.it/
April? understand your concern with the weather being too hot.We went this year first towards the end of may, the weather was lousy,then in august and yes it was too hot.

be warned april could be pretty wet,and cold in places.

early may or late september can be quite good not too hot and not too wet, but these days who knows want the weather has in mind... good luck

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that advice. We hope to be in Italy for approx 3 months, and didn't want to be there in July (too hot!!). Have you any recommendations for camp sites?

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Suzan. "recommendations" have stayed at a few sites in tuscany and around lake garda, but have never taken the caravan.

I would double check the opening times of any site you are considering as they are very much seasonal and april might be a tad early.

Figline valdarno is a big favourite of mine, just 15 miles south of florence, well placed to do all the tuscan sites, but part of the road is a litle thin and twisty, never the less a popular site.

Southern Italy? again i would stick to the higher rated sites,even if this makes them a tad dearer. As you will be traveling in low season the roads should not be too bad,although if you do go down to the almalfi coast i would suggest finding a site maybe 20 or 30 miles from the coastal road as its not ideal caravan country.

I would recommend the aosta region atleast in mid to late may.

the grand san barnard might be open,so should the little san barnard, well worth a drive to, although leave the caravan somewhere near the town of aosta, there are a few sites nearby.

What ever you do enjoy it..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Camping Arco looks wonderful! Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, like the socks! I have got this site on our itinerary now.
You'll enjoy it I know and its easy to get to.

Excellent restaurants in the village, and the area around the camp is like a garden.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We also have a twin axle and are looking to go to Italy next Whitsun. We have chosen Camping Fornella (in Caravan ClubTravel Service book) as they do offer a limited number of larger pitches (140 sq m as opposed to the standard 70 sq m) which are available upon request direct to the site. They will even send you a plan of the site so you can pick your pitch. There is a supplement but the larger pitches have their own water electricity and drainage. The site is on the edge of Lake Garda.

It will be interesting to here what route you are taking. We are looking to stop a few nights en route as we have younger children who need a break.

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lesley

Just got back from weekend away in the 'van. Thanks for the tip for Camping Fornella. We haven't planned the route yet, that is a 'winter project' for us. We will probably go Via Dover, Calais, Belgium, Germany, Austria. Our first night over the water would probably be around the Limburg/Limberg area - we stayed at a site just off the motorway route and it was lovely - can't recall the name of it just now, but I will dig out my diary and let you know. It was level, with electrics, showers etc and was right beside a river. The campsite manager showed us where we could pitch with the car and caravan attached so that we didn't have too much work to do the next morning!

Will get back to you as soon as I dig out the name of the site.

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lesley

Just got back from weekend away in the 'van. Thanks for the tip for Camping Fornella. We haven't planned the route yet, that is a 'winter project' for us. We will probably go Via Dover, Calais, Belgium, Germany, Austria. Our first night over the water would probably be around the Limburg/Limberg area - we stayed at a site just off the motorway route and it was lovely - can't recall the name of it just now, but I will dig out my diary and let you know. It was level, with electrics, showers etc and was right beside a river. The campsite manager showed us where we could pitch with the car and caravan attached so that we didn't have too much work to do the next morning!

Will get back to you as soon as I dig out the name of the site.
Sorry - haven't dug the information out yet - been too busy fighting with my computer! Haven't forgotten though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts