Campsites in Shropshire

BryonySymes

Administrator
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Does anyone go touring in Shropshire? I'd love to hear your recommendations of where to stay and what to do. The Shropshire Hills look like they'd make for fantastic walking!

Thanks,

Bryony

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The only site we have used in Shropshire is Stanmore Hall part of Morris Leisure. A beautifully kept site round a small lake with excellent facilities and well worth a visit but a bit pricey.
Good for Ironbridge, steam railway and West Country Industrial Museum Not sure about the walks as we went more for the heritage aspect..

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
At the other end of the spectrum from the luxurious holiday park type sites is Farden Lane, a reasonably priced south Shropshire C&CC certified site which is near to the top of Brown Clee, a ten minute drive from the delightful medieval market town of Ludlow.
Farden Lane certified site has some sloping pitches with blocks on site for levelling, the hard standings are the best to go for.
On a clear day he views from the site make this little gem truly worth a visit, one can sit outside the caravan and drink in a panorama from the urban industrial midlands at one end to the distant Malvern hills in Worcestershire at the other.
The view from the small washing up hut alone makes the trip worthwhile.
P1030839_zpsdc7winsh.jpg
16de8e06-e5f3-4540-a629-62059cac87a9_zps0dxgvuup.jpg
It's possible to drive from Farden Lane just up the road to a farm track which leads to the old quarry workings right at the summit, an atmospheric spot for photographers with the derelict quarry buildings and the old quarry face.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree with Gabsgrandad. Wheathill Caravan Park , Wheathill near Ludlow takes some beating. All current 25 pitches are super size with 16amp EHU, fully serviced including TV connection running water grey and brown waste.
The toilet block is amazing. Roomy loads of hot water piped music and even the mirrors are heated .
The views from the site are across a vast are of Outstanding Natural Beauty including The Long Myndd.
The owners Lee and Sue are currently constructing a further 25 super fully serviced pitches. Excellent dog wash and even a purpose built dog shower and drying room after they have enjoyed the various dog walks. Good walks from the site too. Clee Hill on the other side reveals another awesome view. .
Next door is the Three Horseshoes serving fine ales and food. Adult only. This ranks in the top three of my little black book. Ludlow is an excellent place for markets and eating out. Plenty to see and do.
Wheathill Sunset from caravan
SunsetWheatalot_zps9e691417.jpg

Woosies all in a row.
SeethecaravansatWheatalot_zpsc9b1a09e.jpg

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A recent local tv news report highlighted the happy fact that Shropshire is becoming a haven for wildlife, and in particular for Mustelidae.
Mustelidae for those who may not know (I didn't!) is the collective noun for carnivorous mammals which include the badger, otter, stoat, weasel, mink, ferret and pine marten.
Apparently all of these animals have been recorded on film in parts of Shropshire recently, and Shropshire is a quiet rural county of hills, rivers and streams, ideal terrain and conditions for these animals to thrive. Many of us in the urban post industrial West Midlands regard the counties of Worcestershire and Shropshire are our back garden.

BryonySymes

Administrator
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't suppose anyone has pictures of Severn Gorge Park, do they? (www.severgorgepark.co.uk) I've tried contacting the owners and they seem to be incomunicado now that it is out of season.

If anyone knows their open dates, that would be helpful, too.

Thanks!

B

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bryony
Sorry I haven't got any pictures but I've spoken to Lin, the site manager who tells me that the site is open all year round and it gets quite busy during the summer months.
The owners of the site are away until tomorrow although the lovely Lin is on duty to look after visitors.
The site is close to Ironbridge Gorge and the Blists Hill museums and receives very good reviews from what I've seen.
Lin can be contacted for bookings on 01952 684789

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It's surprising how we're all different in our idea of a good site. Never having been to either Wheathill or Farden Lane I can only go by the photo's. At the risk of getting some flack Dusty's 2nd photo reminded me somewhat of an HGV parking lot with the vehicles parked evenly spaced on gravel at 45°. I much prefer the pictures on the Farden Lane web site showing the seemingly haphazard pitching and loads of room between units. If only they were grass pitches I'd consider joining the C&CC. :cheer: Still, each to his own. ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That's fine Chris.
The camera is a strange beast.
The caravans are in a line but slanted which in essence means you don't see your neighbour yet all enjoy the panoramic vista over the Shropshire Hills. The site is very new and eventually the greenery will screen off each pitch .
You can look at an aerial shot which looks better. I still think you'd enjoy the place ;)

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
That's fine Chris.
The camera is a strange beast.
The caravans are in a line but slanted which in essence means you don't see your neighbour yet all enjoy the panoramic vista over the Shropshire Hills. The site is very new and eventually the greenery will screen off each pitch .
You can look at an aerial shot which looks better. I still think you'd enjoy the place ;)

Let's hope so Dusty. The current overhead photo on their website shows more grey than green. Not my idea of caravanning in the 'countryside'.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
It's surprising how we're all different in our idea of a good site. Never having been to either Wheathill or Farden Lane I can only go by the photo's. At the risk of getting some flack Dusty's 2nd photo reminded me somewhat of an HGV parking lot with the vehicles parked evenly spaced on gravel at 45°. I much prefer the pictures on the Farden Lane web site showing the seemingly haphazard pitching and loads of room between units. If only they were grass pitches I'd consider joining the C&CC. :cheer: Still, each to his own. ;)
If I remember correctly grass pitches are available at Farden Lane, we happened to choose a hard standing because the weather had been wet the week before our visit and we didn't take an awning for that trip.
We tend to use C&CC certified sites rather than main club sites, most of them have grass pitches and from the site finder it's possible to choose which facilities you need (ehu, toilets, washing up etc) and to read reviews and in some cases to see pictures.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
We haven't visited ourselves but Cranberry Moss in Oswestry (a C&CC site) was recommended by our neighbours in the storage yard, who have stayed there several years running for their organised new year celebrations.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
SamandRose said:
We haven't visited ourselves but Cranberry Moss in Oswestry (a C&CC site) was recommended by our neighbours in the storage yard, who have stayed there several years running for their organised new year celebrations.
We've just got back from Cranberry Moss, and must report that it is lovely!
This was our second visit; site franchisee Alan tells me that my last visit was just after he and Gail took over the franchise about ten years ago. His memory is much better than mine, but I can remember being there, and the site is much the same. The layout of the pitches is very different from most sites, as the ground is rather hummocky, but they have taken advantage of that to create a very pleasant outlook . I'd advise asking for a pitch on the north side in winter though, those on the south don't get much sun.
Handy for Shrewsbury and Oswestry, and the spectacular British Ironworks Centre, the site is literally yards off the A5, but such is its design that there is virtually no road noise.
Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts