Can 4-5 k can buy good caravan (4 berth)

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Outdoorguy, one of the problems you might find is that sites may not allow you to stay for more than a month. But private ( farmers etc ) may be no problem. We try and caravan all,year round with no problems except for appointments and family stuff. Caravan is fine in the winter but it is a 2013 model.
The place we stopped at Malvern the caravan site there was two caravans on a service hardstanding pitch and one we were talking two he been there two months so far .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our 2005 Bailey Series 5 was one of the first designs where better insulation was installed and more modern vans have improved further. Our S5 was fine in winter
Bailey Series 5 didn't have any more insulation than earlier Baileys - but they were tested to level 3 whereas earlier Baileys were only tested to level 2 - our 2001 Pageant was fine down to -12C.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bailey Series 5 didn't have any more insulation than earlier Baileys - but they were tested to level 3 whereas earlier Baileys were only tested to level 2 - our 2001 Pageant was fine down to -12C.
Thank you for your timely correction. Guess I was taken in by Baileys marketing hype. Better not resurrect the famous 2010 discussion though, suffice to say we never had any comfort problems in the Series 5 when using it in winter.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I seem to recall all the manufacturers hyping the level 3 insulation with few, if any, physical changes - all just changing their test regime.
Actually Bailey didn’t start to mention it in their brochures until Pegasus came out. series 5, 6 and 7 say nothing. So I they were unlikely to test them and say anything unless of course they passed grade 3. One reference indicates Bailey started to market Grade 3 in 2008 and Swift 2010. For Bailey it possibly coincided with the introduction of Alutech which was Grade 3.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Avoid the dealers at this price level. They have to pay VAT, overheads, and make profit. So a van they buy at £3k they sell for ??.? 5K.

30 years ago I had a new first van. £7k. I damaged the top side panels (the sides were made of top and bottom panels). It was a professionally repaired at a main dealer through my insurance. It leaked at the top aluminium awning rail after a year or two, on both sides.. A bathroom panel was soaked and went bubbly. I repaired that with a panel ordered via the dealer. It was not hard to do, however I couldnt fix the top awning rail, I had it off (lots of screws) and took off the old mastic and used silicone with the screws, liberally. Awkward as the rail was long and bent to a precise curve. It leaked. In the end I gave up and covered the awning rail with transparent Duck tape or something similar. Didn’t look good, but fixed the leak. I had to reapply every 2 years.

had to mend round the windows in most places where the mastic had gone. in some cupboards I found the external panels completely rotted at the top. I sold it to my wife’s boss after owning it for 18 years, with all faults disclosed, with awning and aqua roll for £600.

My SIL has a van and works from it, parked in landowners wooded area. He loves it. With a couple of other vans. Well hidden. He started off staying on sites, but had to move every 3 weeks. Heating is expensive. He uses big gas bottles, as it’s cheaper than electricity. I spoke to a guy who had a new CL. He Found that he wasn’t charging enough. Over the Christmas week he made £30 profit from 5 vans. As his electricity bills were huge. even new caravans are badly insulated. Expect 10 to 15 a day for electricity in cold weather. Bubble wrap to cover roof lights. They are also draughty with holes to help disperse condensation.

if u can find a cheap site wit included electricity over winter it might be worthwhile. £20 a nite might be a bargain!

paperwork.

Paperwork.

you might get CRIS, caravan registration insurance scheme., I think. Look online. Windows are usually etched with a number. You can check if it’s a stolen van. Too expensive to replace windows on a stolen van as the only way to remove the numbers, so look at windows to see if someone has tried to remove numbers. Go to caravan dealers to see them on second hand vans.

you might be able to get a van with awning. Great if you ca find a permanent base, it gives you lots more room.

see if you can get all the bits with the van, water pump might be external on old van, a lot of money to replace. Far better buying from someone who might be willing to show you all the bits and explain things.

check gas works and electricity

watch you tube vids

keep your eye on EBay.

where are you going to be based …. Approx.
good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts