Can i tow with a fiesta ??

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi

i hope it does nt sound too daft but its the only car i have and i dont really want to change it ! i know i could camp using a tent but i prefer a bit more luxuary! i have a mk4 1.25 engined fiesta i am looking at buying a folding caravan,there weight comes in around 650 - 700 kg, would i be ok ? it tows my trailer fine !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike - this is a very grey area. Some Fiestas are not built for towing and there are no strengthening parts on the rear floor pan to take a tow bar. I would suggest that you check with both your handbook and a main Ford dealer before going down this route. On saying that, it is possible to buy towbars for Fiestas from suppliers like Towsure and other major distributors. Perhpas the technical people at Towsure may be able to help you.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Its the KA, not fiesta that isnt approved for a towbar.

The fessy will be fine. Look up the max towing weight in the car handbook. Keep below this & yer fine.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi Mike,

I used to tow my 2002 Lunar Stellar (870kg unladen, 1100kg max) with my mark 4 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 (although I towed it unladen as the max tow was 900kg) - I even did a fair old mileage in it towing too. You had to keep the old girl on the boil around 3,500 - 4,000 revs and its fuel consumpution was dire, but its a corker of a little engine really. It's short gearing was good too although rather noisy at motorway speeds. Stability wise it was perfect at 55mph and even up to 60 but not really anything left in it past 60. It only really struggled in head winds but as you will have a folding caravan that should not be an issue.

Overall it was a cracking little car - even pulled the van up hills nicely too!

Toby.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Glenn - years ago my son bought a new "Y" reg. Fiesta 1.3 litre and in bold print in the handbook was a warning that the car was not designed to have a tow bar fitted. We enquired at the time with the Ford dealer when the car was bought and they confirmed the manufacturer's handbook as correct. Pretty certain that this would be a Mk.3 version.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I have already fitted the tow bar to my car as i use the car to tow a box trailer no problem i dont even know its there !! I have talked to a garage and they said i could tow a max of 900kg but i am in interested in its suitabilty for towing a folding caravan i wont be racing anywhere,but i dont want to damage the car. thanks

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Sorry Colin it looks like we were both right!! My wife owns a 2000/W reg 1.25 fiesta. I call this a Mk5, some call it a facelifted Mk4.

I have the handbook in front of me now. On page 99 it gives the max trailer weights:-

1.3l endura engone 0kg

1.25l zetec engine 250kg

1.4l zetec engine 900kg

1.8l diesel engine 450kg

All these weights are for the hatchback with manual transmission. The van has different weights.

Mike, according to the handbook for year 2000 cars, you can only tow 250kg. You dont state the year of your car though so it could be different.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi Glenn,

Your specs are for the mark 5 model. All mark 4's are up to 900kgs. The mark 5 had a chassis modifcation and catalyst/mapping change to their engines to comply with Euro 3 emissions hence the lower towing weights. This is confirmed by the slower 0-60 times solo and the lower emissions. The mark 4 was the best of the Fiestas imo - great little car!

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
I have already fitted the tow bar to my car as i use the car to tow a box trailer no problem i dont even know its there !! I have talked to a garage and they said i could tow a max of 900kg but i am in interested in its suitabilty for towing a folding caravan i wont be racing anywhere,but i dont want to damage the car. thanks
Mike....read my comment above! You will be fine with a folding caravan - if I had no issues with a 16ft+ 2.3m wide full size vam weighing 900kgs, you will be fine!

TRENDING THREADS