can my car tow

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You're still getting it wrong, Klarky. The total weight of the van (1259kg) is the sum of the axle load and the noseweight. By definition, the towing weight is the axle load. The noseweight is treated as part of the payload of the car not of the towload. Otherwise you would be counting the noseweight twice.

Therefore it is not illegal to tow a 1259kg caravan behind a car with a max tow of 1200kg (so long as the noseweight is equal to or greater than 59kg)! Believe me!
If you've got the car hitched up to the caravan but only the wheels of the caravan on the weighbridge, you're not measuring the weight of the caravan but only the axle load, i.e. the towload.

If the caravan is standing alone on the weighbridge including its jockey wheel you're measuring the total weight of the caravan.

That's the difference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you've got the car hitched up to the caravan but only the wheels of the caravan on the weighbridge, you're not measuring the weight of the caravan but only the axle load, i.e. the towload.

If the caravan is standing alone on the weighbridge including its jockey wheel you're measuring the total weight of the caravan.

That's the difference.
you are not supposed to weight the van with the car attached anyway,not that it will make a difference as long as the van is LEVEL,IF IT WAS NOSE DOWN I AGREE IT COULD READ DIFFERENTLY

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
www.whattowcar.com should be used with extreme caution as it contains many inaccuracies and omissions. For the Vauxhall range, for example, as my most comprehensive information covers these vehicles, the website match results do not take into account all differences between automatics and manuals, some towload figures are wrong, and I have serious doubts concerning the kerbweight information that was used to calculate the weight ratios.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Wendy

Perhaps its not very ethical BUT why not take a trip down to your local Bailey Caravan Centre and look at the new/second hand models. Suggest to the representative that you are looking to change your caravan and ask him to give you a computer comparison between the car and caravan (you are considering) before you decide to go ahead. Any reputable dealer should be able to give you this service. Don't be fooled by the rep just saying "Yes, you'll be OK!". You need it in writing.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Wendy

I have just found a website that might help:

www.whattowcar.com

It enables you to match your units and see if they are likely to cause any problems when towing. Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts