can my car tow

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Wendy I do not know - the Ford data is easily obtained but I do not know the weight of a Baily Ranger 510-4

I am sure Lutz will have the figs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear boys - ever desperate to score a point.

I expect it escaped you that it would seem that wendy has had some kind of disaster in her life.

The main point of my posting was to reassure her that guys like Lutz would help her.

What is the point of your postings?

Oh I know you like to follow me round like two little puppies snapping at my ankles. But that is all you two are - Ankle biters.

Quite sweet really - my own little band of followers!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Tom, with respect I appreciate you are trying to help Wendy, too, but there is a big difference between towing with a 2 litre TDCI Mondeo and a 1.8 TDI Focus. I expect that Wendy has read my response under the topic 'FOR WENDY' with all the facts as I know them. I only hope that she is able to convince whoever that she didn't exceed the specified limits.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
you need the year and precise model to find all the relevant information can do if you tell what it is

M.T.P.L.M.

1259kg 24.8cwt

M.R.O.

1035kg 20.4cwt

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The figure you quote, Klarky, is about the same as the one I had. Either way, Wendy will be on the right side of the law so long as she didn't exceed the manufacturers' specs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yes as long as she didn't overload the van (1200 kgs or less)lets face it, it would be difficult to get it right unless you weighed the van every time you went away,or weighed the van empty and then everything you put in the van,made a note of the weights and as you loaded evey time consult your list to see exactly what you had loaded.not a thing i would liked to do every time i went away

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
With a MIRO of 1035kg and an MTPLM of 1259kg at least she's got over 200kg of payload available which a reasonable margin and more than some other caravans.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In the case of the Ford Focus, the max. gross train weight is the sum of the max. GVW of the car and the MTPLM of the caravan.

If the caravan is fully loaded to its MTPLM of 1259kg, then the towing weight is 1259kg minus the noseweight (because that is included in the total weight of the car not of the caravan), equals 1184kg which is less than the max. permissible towload of the car.

In other words, she can load the caravan right up to its MTPLM without exceeding the max. towload of 1200kg.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In the case of the Ford Focus, the max. gross train weight is the sum of the max. GVW of the car and the MTPLM of the caravan.

If the caravan is fully loaded to its MTPLM of 1259kg, then the towing weight is 1259kg minus the noseweight (because that is included in the total weight of the car not of the caravan), equals 1184kg which is less than the max. permissible towload of the car.

In other words, she can load the caravan right up to its MTPLM without exceeding the max. towload of 1200kg.
Sorry, my mistake in the first sentence. I hit the keys a bit too fast. The max. gross train weight IS NOT the GVW of the car plus the MTPLM of the caravan but the GVW of the car plus the max. towing weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

the car can only tow 1200 kgs-the total weight of the van fully laden is 1259kgs ,regardless of the hitch downward force on the car, if that van is towed fully laden (1259kgs)by that car(max tow 1200 kgs) its illegal

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You're still getting it wrong, Klarky. The total weight of the van (1259kg) is the sum of the axle load and the noseweight. By definition, the towing weight is the axle load. The noseweight is treated as part of the payload of the car not of the towload. Otherwise you would be counting the noseweight twice.

Therefore it is not illegal to tow a 1259kg caravan behind a car with a max tow of 1200kg (so long as the noseweight is equal to or greater than 59kg)! Believe me!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, and don't forget that the noseweight is part of the payload of the car so it counts towards its GVW. So you must never load the car up to its max. GVW before hitching the caravan up. You must always leave a margin which is large enough to cover the noseweight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, and don't forget that the noseweight is part of the payload of the car so it counts towards its GVW. So you must never load the car up to its max. GVW before hitching the caravan up. You must always leave a margin which is large enough to cover the noseweight.
i agree with that

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You're still getting it wrong, Klarky. The total weight of the van (1259kg) is the sum of the axle load and the noseweight. By definition, the towing weight is the axle load. The noseweight is treated as part of the payload of the car not of the towload. Otherwise you would be counting the noseweight twice.

Therefore it is not illegal to tow a 1259kg caravan behind a car with a max tow of 1200kg (so long as the noseweight is equal to or greater than 59kg)! Believe me!
so what you are saying is,when the caravan is 1259 kgs(limit) and say for your figures the noseweight is 59kgs.regardless of the noseweight the caravan if taken to a weighbridge will weigh 1259 kgs,it will not lose 59 kgs just because its hitched to the car.yes the 59 kgs then becomes part of the gross weight of the car but does not because it is hitched up then be taken off the total weight of the caravan.

so what you are saying is this

my caravan has a miro of 1250 - mptlm of 1450 - car has tow bar weight of 120kgs

ican load my caravan up to 1570 kgs and when i hitch on to the car it will become a load of 1450 kgs

sorry lutz but thats claptrap

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
so what you are saying is,when the caravan is 1259 kgs(limit) and say for your figures the noseweight is 59kgs.regardless of the noseweight the caravan if taken to a weighbridge will weigh 1259 kgs,it will not lose 59 kgs just because its hitched to the car.yes the 59 kgs then becomes part of the gross weight of the car but does not because it is hitched up then be taken off the total weight of the caravan.

so what you are saying is this

my caravan has a miro of 1250 - mptlm of 1450 - car has tow bar weight of 120kgs

ican load my caravan up to 1570 kgs and when i hitch on to the car it will become a load of 1450 kgs

sorry lutz but thats claptrap
No, Klarky, you've got your maths wrong. If the MTPLM of the caravan is 1450kg then that is the limit of what the caravan may weigh in total, i.e. axle load + noseweight. If the noseweight is 120kg, then the axle load may not exceed 1330kg.

You're still confusing overall weight of the caravan with towload.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i agree with that
Quote.

With a MIRO of 1035kg and an MTPLM of 1259kg at least she's got over 200kg of payload available which a reasonable margin and more than some other caravans.

In other words, she can load the caravan right up to its MTPLM without exceeding the max. towload of 1200kg

Ie 1259 -59 = towload (1200)

No I havn't got my maths wrong

What you said was as above- that if I have a van weighing 1450 kgs mptlm(fully loaded),with a car limited to 1330 kgs max tow,if I was hyperthetically allowed to put a nsw of 120 kgs on car,you then deduct 120 kgs off the total weight of the mptlm of the van ie 1450-120=1330kgs and I would be legal

You said 1259 mptlm caravan- car max tow 1200 kgs - 59 kgs on towball ad shes legal

You never said she must not load it over 1200 kgs it looked to me as if you were saying she could???

Look I agree to disagree bit I cant see that at all im sorry

Depending on how you load the van the nsw is always going to be different(ideally it should be around 7% of the weight of the van at that time)

The nsw is the weight of the front end of the van(when loaded) which must not exceed the car manufactures hitch limit when coupled,as far as im concerned nothing to do with the mptlm of the van

So what you are saying is load the van to 1200 kgs max with a tow hitch down force of 59 kgs

Or load the van to 1150 kgs with a tow hitch downforce of 109 kgs

You cant load the van to 1200 with a tow hitch of 75 kgs

At no point did you explain this fully

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts