Can Vectra's Tow?

Sep 8, 2005
Visit site
I purchased a brand new Vauxhall Vectra 2 years ago and have not been able to tow safely with it since! Each time a journey is attempted the engine management light comes on and my speed is reduced - sometimes down to 25 miles an hour. You can imagine how scarey this is for my family and unsafe when using any road, never mind the motorway. So far our locval dealership has failed to trace the fault, despite hveing the car for 10 weeks at the end of last summer, they often ignore phone call and letters and even trading standards are having little effect. Does anyone else have a similar problem????????? Any help with tracking down this fault is worth a try.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Something is obviously amiss with your Vectra as that sort of thing should not haoppen. Have you tried contacting Vauxhall Customer Care on 01582 427200?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your engine electronic system.

When the light comes on the electronic switch to emergency running hence the slower speed, it to enable you to drive to your local vauxhall dealership.

As you are having problems, have you looked inside your

Owner Manual under heading "IF you have a problem" (page 188 in mine)

You will get advise on whome you should contact within Vauxhall.

I to own a Vectra 2.2 DTI estate I can assure you that when your problem is sorted , you could not ask for a better tow car.

Royston

Sep 8, 2005
Visit site
Something is obviously amiss with your Vectra as that sort of thing should not haoppen. Have you tried contacting Vauxhall Customer Care on 01582 427200?
RE Vectra towing problem.

We have contacted Vauxhall on several occassions, they did admit an inherent fault on the Vectra, the suggested wiring change has had no effect!!!!!

Sep 8, 2005
Visit site
Andrew,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your engine electronic system.

When the light comes on the electronic switch to emergency running hence the slower speed, it to enable you to drive to your local vauxhall dealership.

As you are having problems, have you looked inside your

Owner Manual under heading "IF you have a problem" (page 188 in mine)

You will get advise on whome you should contact within Vauxhall.

I to own a Vectra 2.2 DTI estate I can assure you that when your problem is sorted , you could not ask for a better tow car.

Royston
Thanks for the help, but we have already been through several conversations with Vauxhall customer services, the dealership even test towed the car plugged in to the computer - result - the car keeps on recording different faults or none at all! The AA are just as baffled, it seems we have a pig in a bag but do agree that without the caravan it is fantastic, we achieved 67 to the gallon last week without the van but had to stay in a hotel as we could not face the tow journey.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Royston

I am looking to purchase a 2002 (52) reg Vectra 2.2 Elite 5 door but nobody at the garage seems to know what the maximum towing weight - braked is. I think its gross weight is 1945kg. According to the Vauxhall website, this years models have a maximum towing for a trailer with brakes of 1500kg, I presume this is 100% ? ? ? We both have 10 years plus at towing so would this car tow a caravan of 1300kgs.

Any other experiences out there of towing caravans with a Vectra would be great..

Phil

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The maximum permissible towload of a 2.2 Vectra, saloon or hatchback, is 1500kg if it's a manual or 1600kg if it's automatic.

You say its gross weight is 1945kg so it must be a manual without air conditioning. With air conditioning it would be 1970kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Royston

I am looking to purchase a 2002 (52) reg Vectra 2.2 Elite 5 door but nobody at the garage seems to know what the maximum towing weight - braked is. I think its gross weight is 1945kg. According to the Vauxhall website, this years models have a maximum towing for a trailer with brakes of 1500kg, I presume this is 100% ? ? ? We both have 10 years plus at towing so would this car tow a caravan of 1300kgs.

Any other experiences out there of towing caravans with a Vectra would be great..

Phil
Phil, try logging onto www.whatcar.com just follow the links and

you will end up with all the info regarding the Elite vectra estate 2.2 5 door.

My 2.2 dti diesel vectra estate kerb weight kg 1450 max towing weight 1400kg.

Trust the above info is all you require, Happy motoring

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Royston

Phil
Phil

left off my gross vehicle weight Kg 2040.

Royston

Sep 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I am looking to buy my 1st caravan and I own a Vectra 2.0 16v GLS Estate (2000). The unladen weight is 1379kg.

I have today looked at quite a large caravan - a Bucaneer Caravel which has an ex works weight of 19.7cwt.

Can anyone tell me if my car is suitable?

Gary

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
The maximum permissible towload of a 2.2 Vectra, saloon or hatchback, is 1500kg if it's a manual or 1600kg if it's automatic.

You say its gross weight is 1945kg so it must be a manual without air conditioning. With air conditioning it would be 1970kg.
Cheers Lutz and all.

I have been reading back through the past 4 months postings and now firmly understand what the difference is between Kerbwieght, Manufacturers recommended tow weights and about the push factor.

Phil M

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary,

That ex works figure(MRO) would give a MTPLM of around 1150kg or 22. 25 cwt in old money. That would make a match of about 83% which is good. I have a vectra 2.0 SRI estate same year as yours and have towed a Bailey Vermont with a MTPLM of 1330kg.

However it wasn't a success and I suffered from chronic wheel spin and loss of traction when pulling away on anything but level bone dry surfaces. The rig was stable and had plenty of power in hand and with your lighter van weight you may be OK but my experience with the Veccy as a tow car was definatley negative!

Sep 9, 2005
Visit site
I am possibly buying this van from a relative and they are not in a desperate hurry to sell so I think my best bet is to get a towbar fitted and hook it up and take it for a spin (or NOT hopefully!).

I have been quoted

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I wouldn't be as pessimistic as David. I had a 'van which was even a fraction heavier than his and towed it for several years behind a 1.8 Vectra. In fact, it was almost on the limit of the max. permissible towload. The only time I had trouble with wheelspin was driving up wet ferry ramps. Maybe I had different tyres.

Don't forget that the manufacturer's limit is far more important than any weight ratio figure based on the kerbweight of the car because this limit has legal significance.

Sep 9, 2005
Visit site
Thanks but I didn't notice that my handbook was missing when I bought the Vectra - any advice as to where I can get technical info?

The van seller has actually let me bring all the info on the van home with me and its a Bucaneer Caravel 1991. It lists the dimensions in imperial unfortunately but the Ex works (??) weight is 19.7cwt and the max gross axle weight is 25cwt. It is in really good nick and has been well looked after plus its a nice size for 2 adults and 2 young children. It has a full awning and sun canopy and he's throwing in lots of extras as he's finished caravanning now. It will be great if the car is ok for it.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You should be able to find details of the gross vehicle weight and gross train weight on the VIN plate of your Vectra. Subtract the one from the other and you've got the maximum axle load of what you may tow.

I'm a bit puzzled by your statement that you've got a model year 2000 Vectra 2.0 16v GLS Estate. The 2.0 was out of production long before then and had been replaced by the 2.2, so I am unable to give you a definitive figure from the information I have.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Gary,

In reply to Lutz comments - the 2.0 Vectra was still alive in 2000 - Iv'e got one and so have you! The 2.2 was a an engine option.

My car data plate gives 3210kg gross train and 1960KG gross vehicle so you can legally tow 1250kg with the car fully loaded.

Your 25cwt is 1272kg so you are "marginal" - in spite of the Lutz experience I think your Veccy would struggle and could get dicey as a combo on downhill high speed sretches, although you would still be "legal"

Sorry to be a Jona but I wouldn't try it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary

As I have indicated in my reply to Phil, log onto www.whatcar.com

you will get the technical information with regards to your Vectra

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Gary,

In reply to Lutz comments - the 2.0 Vectra was still alive in 2000 - Iv'e got one and so have you! The 2.2 was a an engine option.

My car data plate gives 3210kg gross train and 1960KG gross vehicle so you can legally tow 1250kg with the car fully loaded.

Your 25cwt is 1272kg so you are "marginal" - in spite of the Lutz experience I think your Veccy would struggle and could get dicey as a combo on downhill high speed sretches, although you would still be "legal"

Sorry to be a Jona but I wouldn't try it.
Apologies, yes, 2000 was the last model year of the 2.0 litre. The 2.2 came out in August 2000 with model year 2001.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts