can you barter/bargain at a dealer?

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
we are buying our 1st van within the next 2 weeks. we have been searching for over a month now and at the moment i am eating and sleeping caravans!...just want to buy it now.

anyway, we have a budget of approx £7k for a used van, really like the bailey range and have seen a 2001 bailey bordeaux with fixed bed at a dealer with 2 years warranty for £7495 which i thought was a good price.

in all your experience....is there room to bargain at a dealer?

ie - could we say to him we'll give you £7k cash?

or because they are in such demand will the dealer tell us to beat it cos he knows he can sell it for the asking price?!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sarah,

Of course you should bargain with the dealer, if he won't drop the price get him to throw in goods instead, if this is your first van you will need things like, spare wheel, battery, step, mains cables, gas bottles, number plate. All the little things add up. Our last caravan we got a 10" t.v thrown in too.

Give it a go you have nothing to lose

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sarah, always haggle, its part of the fun of buying! you have got nothing to lose, there are plenty of second hand caravans out there, but the dealer won't want to lose a sale! knocking

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
As well as haggling and getting some freebies ask for a discount in their shop for any other purchases..... afterall - if you don't ask you don't get!!!

Remember they want your business!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Always haggle.

The dealer has probably added a bit to allow for this. As has been said, there are plenty of vans out there so he will be keen to sell.

In fact haggle in shops as well - they can always say no - or they might want the trade and say yes.

The othr thing is the equipment. With the Bordeaux the standard equipment with the van is a spare wheel, step, electric cable and water pump. You will need everything else. Cost these up first.

Alternatively, find a private sale where someone is giving up and selling the van with all the equipment. Check that it has been serviced by a dealer and, if neccessary, make the sale provisional on it being subjected to a damp test (you can buy the testers quite cheaply). Any seller who refuses this may be hiding something.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
ok

I NEVER pay the asking price for bikes, cars or caravans. heres how.

KNOW YOUR DEALER. go in, get to know the main sales guy, be it manager or director, ask advice and listen to them.

go back to the dealer in the end of the 3rd week of the month and let them know you wish to sign or pay within 1 week. they all have monthly targets and this is their week spot.

Ask for extra's DO NOT DEMAND, if they say no act dissapointed and unsure.

Be happy with their delivery plans, they want you to get the item quick as this is when they get their money

Steve

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Sarah,

I agree with Steve, you shd never pay the asking price... a dealer (car or caravan) expects to barter and if you don't bother you can be sure his manager in the back office will be having a snigger about easy money!

My tips are: plan ahead, do your research on prices so that you can justify your offer (takes the wind out of their feigned derision at your offer; don't forget dealer prices are always top-end with PLENTY of room for manoeuvre); keep any enthusiasm for the van to yourself (and advise the other half likewise!); talk out loud about as many negatives as you can find (without being offensive) and the cost of rectifying them; and regardless of your sunny personality remain stone-faced throughout to hide all the clues to your feelings the salesman is looking for.

Broaching the subject of an offer is the hard bit, but you must be assertive and stand your ground. I always say that I would be prepared to pay a certain price (pitched lowish, but not silly) and I expect rejection. But instead of caving in immediately as many do, shoot straight back with: Well, what offer would YOU be prepared to accept? Ball is straight back in his court and hopefully he'll lower the asking price a little. That's when you can ask if he will meet you half way. At this stage, the price should be heading downwards and you shd be getting an idea of the best price he'll accept. Play for time, keep the dialogue going by repeating your arguments/reservations. Only you can decide whether you will pay his final price, based on all your research. But at least you will know that you entered into a meaningful negotiation.

And finally, whatever the price, the dealer will be the winner - they always are! How much of a winner depends on you...

G

A lot will depend on the state of the market. It is now Spring and so many people are starting to look at vans, so dealers can be more choosy. Also the type of van can influence the price. I believe that fixed bed models are quite popular at the moment so again the dealer may feel it is better to wait for another punter. However, as has been stated do try, and stress the fact that you are not offering a trade in. That may gain you the most.

G

Just a point that happened to me when I bought my new secondhand car earlier this year. On mentioning means of payment I was told cash was NOT acceptable. On asking why, I was advised that the new money laundering laws mean any deal over #5000 has to be explained to the authorities. Cheques/credit cards/ account transfer are traceable more easily and therefore much more acceptable. Of course, if the dealer is dodgy, then this may not apply, but would you want to buy a van from him? Sorry, but one law sometimes screws up a good idea.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Sarah - Barter! If you don't get anywhere in the first round - walk away. Keep an eye open because the van may not sell quickly if it is priced as you say. It will still be on the lot in a couple of weeks, so why not wait before making a purchase. Most new vans will have now been delivered and there will be a glut of second hand vans on the market.

If you are a member of the CC or C&CC then take along your membership cards. Caravan accessory shops don't advertise the fact that you can get 5-10% of purchases (depending on how much you spend)!!! Mention you have your cards and do they offer any discount to club members.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE ADVICE.!

definetly some food for thought...me and "him indoors" have read and noted all your comments...we are in confident mood that we have the nerve to go to the dealer and start at a low cash bid !

like the idea of having cash in multi pockets! and also not turning up in a posh car (think may borrow my sister's battered old scenic).

we will adopt all tactics and let you know what happens .

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Scotch Lads comment re cash is correct, it started after a well known Drug dealing case and a well known Surrey Porsche dealers.

Drug Dealers wanted to pay cash for a big Porsche leading to them being caught.

But providing you have good ID with you and your money is legal you should have no problem. As you will expect Some sort of guarantee the dealer and you should be OK. The dealer should take cash if all is straight and above board.

G

Why not use your Debit Card for the deal? It is exactly the same as cash and you will have fewer problems. Your own Bank will however, wish to talk to you through the machine, to confirm you wish the transaction to go ahead. Wandering around with a large roll of 'readies' is a bit Del Boy'ish methinks.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Scotch Lad.

I rarely carry cash, and have used the described method in numerous main dealers for Cars,Caravans,Trailers,Boat Parts and other expensive gear.

If the dealer puts the money straight in the bank he has csh flow that minute, most other methods he does not. I would never let on that I was carrying cash until closing the deal. At that point I want the boss man who has the final say!

I want to buy at cost price, check out who you are buying from. If the business looks quiet and the stock not moving. Some will take little or even no profit to get cash flow.

The sales guy is there to take your money and make a profit. Buying for me is a game where I want the salesman to feel heartbroken when I leave with the goods as he/she will have hopefuly made no profit and given me the best deal possible to be rid of me :)

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
well guys, more developments from the dealer.

The dealer is a bailey main dealer in Reading...apparently the Bailey Bordeaux fixed bed van at

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Promotion, means they wants to shift vans, I don't know if they have other storage space but there is not a lot of space at Berkshire Cartavans if that is the one.

I would be in there today if you had the time to get there.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
I,ve sold cars for the last 10 years and I'll let you into a little secret..

Nice polite friendly customers will always get a better discount if they ask than rude ones ,out to get the best deal.

To save time just work out a realistic figure that you would be happy with and tell the saleperson that it is the only price you will buy at.

If they can do the deal they will do it.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
And I'm the nicest most charming caring punter you will ever meet Brian but I won't be stuffed around by pratish sales people and there are a few around ;-)

May 4, 2005
Visit site
I agree Cris, there are some,infact I work with some of them.

However it is not unusual for me to be spoken to like Im a piece of dirt and then expected to sell a car for little or no profit which will earn me nothing for the "pleasure" of dealing with them. If you have a good rapport with the customer then the profit becomes secondary as these are the people who generally tell friends and family to "go see Brian " if you what a car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts