Can you trust Amazon reviews?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Most of the couriers we see are Hermes DPD, Parcel Force and unknowns using their own private cars. Hermes do very well including a collection service. I guess it’s all down to the person driving the vehicle.
Hi Dusty i would agree that Hermes uses there own car and any deliveries she goes out of way to help me i have use DPD, Parcel force and UPS nothing but praise .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The fact is as an online buying Nation, we enjoy things like Amazon Prime. Order this evening and bingo the goods are with me tomorrow..Some hard working person somewhere in the entire chain is making this happen. They get my vote. Yes. There will always be the less caring ones. Note the number of returns due to damage in transit will no doubt curtail their future activities.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The fact is as an online buying Nation, we enjoy things like Amazon Prime. Order this evening and bingo the goods are with me tomorrow..Some hard working person somewhere in the entire chain is making this happen. They get my vote. Yes. There will always be the less caring ones. Note the number of returns due to damage in transit will no doubt curtail their future activities.

I was very reluctant to join Amazon Prime tending to use the free trial periods or the kids accounts. But when I started to buy more stuff from Amazon and totted it up it was a no brainer. Plus I’ve now gone for the annual subscription and as well as quick and generally zero postage I’ve got the other Prime benefits of Video and cloud photo storage too. No complaints here whatsoever about Jeff’s company. They can deliver my vaccine anytime.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And you get stacks of music and other things. Remember years ago looking for a spare part for something. You spent most of Saturday morning touring and queuing at shops with no result. Most time within five minutes the fingers have found the answer and next day delivery foc👍👍👍

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
As a long time Amazon user, I tend to not purchase high-ticket items from Amazon; this is because while their customer service can be fantastic, in my experience once your item is outside of its return window [a few weeks], Amazon do not want to know even if it was sold and dispatched by them.

I had a 3-gang extension plug, with individual switches. one of the switches disintegrated leaving exposed contacts within a year of purchase; Amazon customer services told me to speak to the manufacturer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a long time Amazon user, I tend to not purchase high-ticket items from Amazon; this is because while their customer service can be fantastic, in my experience once your item is outside of its return window [a few weeks], Amazon do not want to know even if it was sold and dispatched by them.

I had a 3-gang extension plug, with individual switches. one of the switches disintegrated leaving exposed contacts within a year of purchase; Amazon customer services told me to speak to the manufacturer.
Quote them teh Consumer Rights Act, where it is teh seller who is liable for goods that are not fit for purpose or are insufficiently durable.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just ordered an Amazon supplied 90kgs stacker truck. Will be delivered tomorrow. Whoever the courier is doesn’t matter .It’s coming tomorrow. Brilliant !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s interesting that Amazon have now bought 11 Boeing cargo jets initially to use for their own deliveries. They had been leasing jets for a while so clearly see having their own dedicated logistics chain to be of benefit. The other carriers will now see it as a potentially significant threat their business, even if they didn’t before.

Dusty better stand by for 50 flights a day incoming and outgoing at Kemble 🤭

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site

I have to disagree. I have had two big ticket items dealt with superbly by Amazon. Firstly I bought my wife an iPad, and didn't realise it was through the marketplace. Two years later there was an issue where the device wouldn't start and it appeared that the device was "hooky". I got a FULL refund of the purchase price.
The second thing was a Microsoft Surface Pro for me that disappeared in transit. It was a special priced promotional bundle, and was then out of stock, but they put together the same set of kit which appeared very quickly.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been a prime member for as long at least 3-4 years and I find them great 99% of the time, let’s face it no company is perfect, I would say though they aren’t always the cheapest but most of the time they are,I bought a printer last weekend HP Envy, Amazon 129.99 currys (who I swore never to use again) 59.99 + 5 for next day delivery, ordered about 5 pm arrived 8.15 am next day, my saying I’d never use currys again went out the window when the same item is half the price.

BP

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Being in a rural area we do a lot of internet shopping. Usually Amazon is my first port of call but I'll always check around once I have a baseline price from them. If its a Marketplace trader sometimes the price can be less if you go direct to their website. Sometimes its the other way around.

A few years ago I need a 3 section 7m ladder and found one from a company in Surrey. Price was ok but delivery charge to the Highlands a bit excessive. On Amazon the same company was selling the same product at the same price but no delivery charge. Ordered it and it arrived within a couple of days.

Just occassionally Amazons pricing algorithms will go off the rails as I've seen absurdly high prices for some products.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did read in the paper and on line that a survey on parcel companies put Hermes and Yodel bottom. Had some problems with Hermes who have twice delivered goods here when they were addressed elsewhere, Only the door number was correct, in both cases the streets were different and in the first case it was a very large parcel and the driver drove off as we got to the door leaving us with it. The next problem was us trying to get them to take it back and you had to use an internet chatline which would not accept the idea that a delivery could go to the wrong address and would only say it had been delivered.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many items on Amazon are more expensive than if you bought from a store as per Beehpee. However we can live with a couple of quid here and there, but not £20-£30 etc.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised currys were nearly £70 cheaper because I’ve never found them cheaper for anything but in this instance it’s a no brainer, initially I thought I’d typed wrong item in, we use Amazon so regularly our neighbours think we’ve got a couple of drivers lodging, even I ask my wife if they’ve moved in.

BP

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Quote them the Consumer Rights Act, where it is the seller who is liable for goods that are not fit for purpose or are insufficiently durable.

I thought that might be the case, but this was before Christmas. I may try to reopen the complaint.

I have to disagree. I have had two big ticket items dealt with superbly by Amazon. Firstly I bought my wife an iPad, and didn't realise it was through the marketplace. Two years later there was an issue where the device wouldn't start and it appeared that the device was "hooky". I got a FULL refund of the purchase price.
The second thing was a Microsoft Surface Pro for me that disappeared in transit. It was a special priced promotional bundle, and was then out of stock, but they put together the same set of kit which appeared very quickly.

I just don't want to give Amazon my money anymore. The majority of my larger purchases, and 2020 Christmas presents came from John Lewis. Just bought a new pressure washer from John Lewis which was £11 cheaper than Amazon and came direct from Kärcher.

I still have Prime as there are some things I can only get from Amazon without going through random sellers on eBay, but I will now always go via other UK retailers first for larger purchases.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
About £80 is the most I have spent with Amazon. Without problem. But most of my purchases are sub £20. Rarely is there a problem, and when there is it gets resolved quickly. But yes , you have to beware and do your research before buying. Amazon try to direct customers to there own products nd put market place down the list. A recent programme on TV highlighted many of their ‘tricks’.

But back to the main point. By far the worse aspect is the quality of the reviews. To be fair. This isn’t just Amazon. The more we purchase on line, the more important reviews become, and the more they will be corrupted.

Until company reviews can truly be trusted they have to be looked at with much scepticism.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've only tried Prime a couple of times when its free. We had it free over christmas and today I cancelled it. Many pages and options to select in order to do so. Then surprise this popped up on Beeb news just a short while ago, critical of the hoops you have to go through to actually cancel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've only tried Prime a couple of times when its free. We had it free over christmas and today I cancelled it. Many pages and options to select in order to do so. Then surprise this popped up on Beeb news just a short while ago, critical of the hoops you have to go through to actually cancel.

I can live with some Amazon purchases, but I do find their pages quite confusing, and misleading. I made a large purchase from them just over one year ago, and without realising it I some how signed up to Prime. I only discovered this when I saw regular monthly payments on my bank statements. I chose to stay and try it, and I have to agree that their deliveries can be quite amazing. But I don't use it as much as I might, and as it was costing me nearly £120 I concluded I was not getting my monies worth so I decided to cancel.

I could not find an easy way to cancel, but the card they were charging it to was expiring so I simply let it drop, and eventually they told me the Prime account had been closed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can live with some Amazon purchases, but I do find their pages quite confusing, and misleading. I made a large purchase from them just over one year ago, and without realising it I some how signed up to Prime. I only discovered this when I saw regular monthly payments on my bank statements. I chose to stay and try it, and I have to agree that their deliveries can be quite amazing. But I don't use it as much as I might, and as it was costing me nearly £120 I concluded I was not getting my monies worth so I decided to cancel.

I could not find an easy way to cancel, but the card they were charging it to was expiring so I simply let it drop, and eventually they told me the Prime account had been closed.

£120 what Prime did you sign up for. Mine only costs £79 per year or £7.99 per month.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes. Ours is £7.99 per month and includes all the Amazon music films etc. We buy at least two things a month so it pays for itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts