Can you trust Amazon reviews?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Looking for dry dog food for our two dogs look on Amazon brought this Alpha Greyhound Racer high energy diet complete dry dog food 15kg for £15.99 Free delivery .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I dont bother with the Prime, as the distribution center is just of from J13, on the M1. And we are 3 miles from it. If it is an item available for Prime delivery we get it next day anyway.
Two evenings ago I ordered some clothing, Join Prime at £7.99 pm, £4.99 to be delivered by Saturday, free if delivery by Sunday. Chose the free, they arrived yesterday lunchtime.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking for dry dog food for our two dogs look on Amazon brought this Alpha Greyhound Racer high energy diet complete dry dog food 15kg for £15.99 Free delivery .

Why would you feed domestic pets such a high energy, high protein food. I’ve had lurchers collies and spaniels and other working dogs but only during periods of peak activity have they had such high energy food. At times they would go onto maintenance diet and still maintain lots of energy and keep weight down. My two elderly ladies (13.5 years) are now on senior diet and are still slim.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our two Springers enjoyed Burns adult chicken and rice dry food all their lives. They were lean. 15/kgs was £52.00 . Purchased from our local pet shop. You mustn’t forget that if all your purchases are from Amazon you will lose your local shops

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Why would you feed domestic pets such a high energy, high protein food. I’ve had lurchers collies and spaniels and other working dogs but only during periods of peak activity have they had such high energy food. At times they would go onto maintenance diet and still maintain lots of energy and keep weight down. My two elderly ladies (13.5 years) are now on senior diet and are still slim.
Hi otherclive our vet suggested this and our two dogs love it and that is our preference

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our two Springers enjoyed Burns adult chicken and rice dry food all their lives. They were lean. 15/kgs was £52.00 . Purchased from our local pet shop. You mustn’t forget that if all your purchases are from Amazon you will lose your local shops
After Old (12 year old) Rexy went in November, Harry the 8kg Ratter, now has 12kg of Burns and 12kg of Harringtons to get through. We get them from the local farm shop about £45 a 15kg bag. Harringtons £16 from Costco. 15kg.
So he has about 10 months of food left. 80 grams a day.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty When our dogs go into Kennels we use get everything from them this year they have closed down . We buy dog food from Asda so we do not buy everything from Amazon .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After Old (12 year old) Rexy went in November, Harry the 8kg Ratter, now has 12kg of Burns and 12kg of Harringtons to get through. We get them from the local farm shop about £45 a 15kg bag. Harringtons £16 from Costco. 15kg.
Sounds like Ratter might like a companion.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I might have got the figures wrong from memory. But it was more than it was worth for the amount I use it. And as others have said delivery is usually fairly quick. I too have a warehouse just 10 miles away.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Very true however in these times when you prefer not to be out and about you have little choice.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Amazon , have excelled again, I ordered 4 security lights for the house last night declined Prime and postage costs just recieved an email saying they will be delivered today. Another £ 4.99 saved.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch,
Are really saying his food lasts longer than your Shiraz🤪🤪

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It must be remembered that in the £79 you have the option of Prime Video and other benefits. We are quite happy with our Prime subscription. I do agree that delivery whether Prime member or not seems to be just as quick.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I guess for some folks Prime has value but not for me. I'm never in that much of a hurry to get stuff and its easy to get to the minimum spend for free delivery.

The extras such as Prime Video don't do much for me either. I found the interface not very user friendly. Decent videos to watch were hard to find and the constant attempts to get me to pay for something annoying.

Ditto Kindle books - virtually all the authors I want to read are not free.

Amazon Music - I can get music for free elsewhere.

Pays your choice ekcetera......

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i like Amazon but i have not got a subscription so far and like someone says on this forum to make it pay you have order 2/3 items per month.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
i like Amazon but i have not got a subscription so far and like someone says on this forum to make it pay you have order 2/3 items per month.

Not really, it’s not just free postage. You get free photo storage, some free digital books, Prime video, some audio books, plus more. But as to whether it’s value for money totally depends on how much use you can make of it.

I have it, but like Sam says, not sure if I make enough use so keep it under review.

John

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not really, it’s not just free postage. You get free photo storage, some free digital books, Prime video, some audio books, plus more. But as to wether it’s value for money totally depends on how much use you can make of it.

I have it, but like Sam says, not sure if I make enough use so keep it under review.

John
Hi Jcloughie Well in my case it would not be worth it (y)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Last week I ordered two unrelated items from Prime. Neither are urgent and they both said about 6 days for delivery. Neither said where they were coming from. I just looked at the tracking, see picture.

03177B3C-826E-4CE3-999D-85C36735E9E7.png

Both unrelating orders are coming from France. Both have had to clear customs under our new system.

I only expect to pay the advertised price. But it puts me in mind of a news item about a woman who ordered fashion stuff from the EU and was asked for a further £80 to cover customs and the delivery companies fixed customs collection rates.

Another thing for us, retailers and transporters to contend with.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last week I ordered two unrelated items from Prime. Neither are urgent and they both said about 6 days for delivery. Neither said where they were coming from. I just looked at the tracking, see picture.

View attachment 1099

Both unrelating orders are coming from France. Both have had to clear customs under our new system.

I only expect to pay the advertised price. But it puts me in mind of a news item about a woman who ordered fashion stuff from the EU and was asked for a further £80 to cover customs and the delivery companies fixed customs collection rates.

Another thing for us, retailers and transporters to contend with.

John

It’s a nightmare for small exporters. If their sales are part of a number of different sellers in a container consignment then paperwork is required for each consignment in the container. UK is nit taking much action re goods coming in but goods going out are a nightmare for small businesses. One cheese producer in Macclesfield requires a food health certificate for each order into the EU. Typical order value £25-35. Cost of certificate £180. Result is new investment employing 20 staff is being scrapped. Investment now going to France. Large shipment goes to France under one certificate. Sales to customers in Eu are then shipped from French depot. Taxes and wages are no longer within UK.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I order something on Amazon paid for it on the Saturday 9th January i got tracking this week saying it been shipped it arrived on Thursday 21st January there was no rush for it I was just happy it has arrived

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If using Amazon and charged customs duty etc can you refuse the pay the extra if it was not advertised? Bearing in mind that Amazon hold your card details.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If using Amazon and charged customs duty etc can you refuse the pay the extra if it was not advertised? Bearing in mind that Amazon hold your card details.
I don’t know about Amazon but some buyers of EU goods have been refusing to pay the courier company to have them released for delivery and they have then been sent back to the seller. I’m sure Amazon is clued up enough to tell you of extra charge prior to confirming the order.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
A friend of mine tried to order some stuff from a manufacturer in Holland, who refused to supply because they have to register for a UK VAT number... Lots of "too difficult box" issues...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts