Canal du Midi

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Having had our 2 weeks in the sun (St. Remy - it was wonderful!), our thoughts are turning to next year. My daughter and I have long planned to walk the Canal du Midi. Originally, this was planned for my retirement. However, that's still 7 years away and it's possible that either I may not be up to it (or so keen) by then, or that she will have small children.

My daughter is just starting out as a teacher, so this will have to be in school holidays. We are now planning to do this walk over several (!) years.

I've been trying to research the possibilities. The parts of the Canal with which I am familiar have good paths and should be no problem. We think we would probably start at Toulouse (or on the outskirts) and walk East.

Husband/father will do the setting up/clearing down of camp and meet us for lunch (delicious picnic) each day.

Question is - has anyone done this? If so, how was it? How far did you get in a day (it'll be August remember)? Were you able to get pitches on sites (we are perfectly happy with municipals), or did you have to book? I can't trace any books by people who have done this one, although I do remember a book I read years ago about a Banker who walked from the Med to the Atlantic with his wife and I think part of that was along the canal.

I'm sure there are many of you who can provide tips and advice!

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
We stayed at a site near Castelnaudary, about 5 km from the canal this July - Camping Rural La Domaine de la Capelle (Page 280 in the CC 2009 Europe 1 book). .

There were quite a few cyclists overnighting who were riding the Canal de Midi, no-one appeared to have booked beforehand.

A good quiet CL type site with showers and toilets, and the owner will provide meals and deliver then to your pitch if required.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Although not entirely relevant but as a retirement special we decided not to take our caravan to France a few years ago but instead we hired one of the canel boats and spent 2 great weeks on the Canal du Midi. Made some great friends very much like caravanning in many ways. I can also understand why you want to walk it.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
How well do you spek French.? Because there's a French language publication which could be a big help - it's called 'Canal du Midi,

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
We spent time in 2007 & 2008 cycling along stretches of the Canal du Midi and having enjoyed it so muc intend going back there later this year. Please have a look at my web page www.kdmercer.com/Caravan_Touring.html for info on campsites and a link to a useful source of information on the canal.

In preparation for this year's visit, I have just bought a newly-published book "Cycling the Canal du Midi" by Declan Lyons. Published by Cicerone, ISBN 978-1-85284-559-0. I bought it from Amazon. It give plenty of background information on the canal plus detailed info on what to expect along the route, campsites, accomodation, restaurants, watering-holes etc etc. Highly recommended :)

Whether walking or cycling, the canal is a delight to explore.

Regards,

Keith (M)

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Olivier and Keith. In looking on the Amazon site for Olivier's suggestion (a bit expensive, though), I came across the book by Declan Lyons, which is now on order.

Perhaps there's a book in this for me!

Jo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts