Car battery question

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
By putting in your Jeep details, Euro part come up with these batteries.
Totally different results when inputting reg number, but Bosch S4 looks to be good as it has 95ah but same CCA.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Here’s my bit of interference 😉

Do not use the new alternator with the old battery.

The old battery served you well so it must have been a good quality one.

Ensure the physical size and lead fixings are compatible.
If not you can end up with extra costs for rewire and terminals.

Like Hutch I used the digits and found this at Halfords for just under £150. Fitting extra.
Yuasa HSB019 Silver 12V Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee .

Above is https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...i6NUjSGlGBAZtq8PF1zDLZxIb4cLFvJkaAqYSEALw_wcB

On paper looks like the Yuasa is compliant with your oem. Probably better made and more modern design?

I doubt Jeep under engineered the AH on your oem which has lasted 8 years.

Hopefully the new alternator and battery will restore your confidence in the Jeep😜

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Totally different results when inputting reg number, but Bosch S4 looks to be good as it has 95ah but same CCA.
That’s exactly the problem that I found and eventually fitted a Yuasa slightly larger dimensions than the original Yuasa and then decided to not fit the cover that dropped down over the battery. Not really certain what the cover gives, but my terminals are properly protected with their fitted plastic protectors.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Like Hutch I used the digits and found this at Halfords for just under £150. Fitting extra.

Above is https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/yuasa--hsb019-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-161078.html?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=maplt&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:|cid:17145159354|agid:|tid:|crid:|nw:x|rnd:14518219619753442939|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9045591&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlemWBhDUARIsAFp1rLVrkK1MZ44XHev56sK2_dti6NUjSGlGBAZtq8PF1zDLZxIb4cLFvJkaAqYSEALw_wcB

On paper looks like the Yuasa is compliant with your oem. Probably better made and more modern design?

Hopefully the new alternator and battery will restore your confidence in the Jeep😜
Got mine from Halfords too. Keenly priced but my main reason was if it went bad it’s only 2 miles from home to take it back. I had so much hassle with an online supplier in having to return a broken battery that I vowed never again. Used batteries come under the category of hazardous waste/ goods and normal courier companies aren’t licensed to transport them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Above is https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/yuasa--hsb019-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-161078.html?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=maplt&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:|cid:17145159354|agid:|tid:|crid:|nw:x|rnd:14518219619753442939|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9045591&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlemWBhDUARIsAFp1rLVrkK1MZ44XHev56sK2_dti6NUjSGlGBAZtq8PF1zDLZxIb4cLFvJkaAqYSEALw_wcB

I think I may have put it across incorrectly. The original battery was 8 years when in needed changing. The current battery is 20 months old into a 3 year warranty. However I am unsure of its status as it would totally flat for a period of at least 5 days before it was recharged. I am very surprised that it recovered, but not sure if I can trust it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think I may have put it across incorrectly. The original battery was 8 years when in needed changing. The current battery is 20 months old into a 3 year warranty. However I am unsure of its status as it would totally flat for a period of at least 5 days before it was recharged. I am very surprised that it recovered, but not sure if I can trust it.
Ok👍. Has your dealer tested the battery and given it a clean bill of health? Like JTQ I’d hate a duff battery ruin the new alternator. Do you know if it was the alternator or the battery that caused the catastrophic failure?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ok👍. Has your dealer tested the battery and given it a clean bill of health? Like JTQ I’d hate a duff battery ruin the new alternator. Do you know if it was the alternator or the battery that caused the catastrophic failure?

Read my post regarding the Jeep dealer on "Dead as a Dodo". Would you trust that dealer? :D

I think it may be better to take the Jeep to the people that fitted the Platinum battery and ask them to test it. Not sure what they would need to do to test for longevity?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As a matter of interest if a battery goes low i.e. 11v or lower can it damage the Smart alternator? In our case it standing for the 5 days with battery at zero volts. Am I right in thinking that the consensus is that it would be better if the battery was changed even though it is reading normal at present?

Due to high cost of fuel sometimes the Jeep stands for 5 or more days and the alarm is a constant drain.

The Bosch S4 019 battery with 4 year warranty seems to be one of the better batteries. Then there is the Yuasa HSB019 Silver 12v battery with 5 year warranty from Halfords. I think the latter at £140 plus £18 fitting is preferred.

Thanks guys for all the valuable input it is really appreciated. (y):D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a matter of interest if a battery goes low i.e. 11v or lower can it damage the Smart alternator? In our case it standing for the 5 days with battery at zero volts. Am I right in thinking that the consensus is that it would be better if the battery was changed even though it is reading normal at present?

Due to high cost of fuel sometimes the Jeep stands for 5 or more days and the alarm is a constant drain.

The Bosch S4 019 battery with 4 year warranty seems to be one of the better batteries. Then there is the Yuasa HSB019 Silver 12v battery with 5 year warranty from Halfords. I think the latter at £140 plus £18 fitting is preferred.

Thanks guys for all the valuable input it is really appreciated. (y):D
My car will sit for up to two weeks and regularly 4-5 days and until earlier this year was still on its original battery. I changed it because sometimes on cold day starts it lacked omph. Cars sit in dealerships without being run. So I think your concerns re alarm run down are somewhat unfounded.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My car will sit for up to two weeks and regularly 4-5 days and until earlier this year was still on its original battery. I changed it because sometimes on cold day starts it lacked omph. Cars sit in dealerships without being run. So I think your concerns re alarm run down are somewhat unfounded.
Goes to demonstrate my lack of knowledge regarding cars and batteries. My previous Jeep would sit at the airport up for 4 weeks and never had an issue starting.

The concern here is the current battery which was fully discharged for 5 days as do not want to get stuck again. Gets embarrassing!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Goes to demonstrate my lack of knowledge regarding cars and batteries. My previous Jeep would sit at the airport up for 4 weeks and never had an issue starting.

The concern here is the current battery which was fully discharged for 5 days as do not want to get stuck again. Gets embarrassing!
That’s a slightly more difficult issue as you don’t know the status of the current battery. A recharge and drop test can only give so much information. Unless there are more specific tests I would go for a new battery.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That would have been my decision too.

This morning on entering the Jeep the normal door lights came on. On starting the vehicle they normally fade off. Today they stayed on after starting the vehicle. The air con changed from "Auto" to manual. With a Jeep when the battery starts to play up it does all sorts of weird things. New battery fitted so hopefully resolves all the weird issues. (y) :D

Reactions: Kevin M
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh dear! Jeep have contacted me to inform me that the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit was fitted with the AGM battery from new and not lead acid.
Halfords advised me that battery to fit was the Yuasa HSB019 Battery and I took it as gospel.
I bought it on Online and had it fitted at their local depot. I guess I can pay the difference and get it changed for the correct AGM battery which must not be a stop start battery.
If they are unable to supply the correct battery not sure where that leaves me if they have dumped the old battery?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For the record most modern vehicles that have stop-start operation will have at least an EB battery and a bit further up the market you may find AGM.
If you specified the vehicle that you required the battery for and they supplied the wrong battery then they are in Breach of Contract and must either replace it f.o.c. with the correct battery or give you a full refund.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the record most modern vehicles that have stop-start operation will have at least an EB battery and a bit further up the market you may find AGM.
If you specified the vehicle that you required the battery for and they supplied the wrong battery then they are in Breach of Contract and must either replace it f.o.c. with the correct battery or give you a full refund.

I inputted the registration number of the Halford's website and it came up only with a choice of lead acid batteries and no AGM. All the AGM batteries flag up as Start/stop, but the car does not have stop start technology although it is keyless and requires you to manually start or stop the car.

Email from Jeep HQ states

Thank you for contacting Jeep.

Further to your request, we can confirm that your Jeep Grand Cherokee, vin number: 1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx from production phase was fitted with a AGM type battery.

To refund me they have to take out the incorrect battery so not sure where that leaves me if they do not have the correct AGM battery. I am not sure if you can use a Stop / Start battery.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It also begs the question of whether the charging system is set for flooded or AGM batteries?
If you can trust Jeep UK you have the answer to the technology the car was built for.
As I said before I would be getting the recommendations from the world's better battery makers, they unsurprisingly are pretty on the ball regarding batteries.
Note, not Halfords or any vendor or brand holder, but the makers themselves. Then a pattern should emerge that hopefully endorses Jeep UK's story.
Just that buying a quality battery, even at the good discounts available in that industry, will still be quite costly compared to many budget offerings.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It also begs the question of whether the charging system is set for flooded or AGM batteries?
If you can trust Jeep UK you have the answer to the technology the car was built for.
As I said before I would be getting the recommendations from the world's better battery makers, they unsurprisingly are pretty on the ball regarding batteries.
Note, not Halfords or any vendor or brand holder, but the makers themselves. Then a pattern should emerge that hopefully endorses Jeep UK's story.
Just that buying a quality battery, even at the good discounts available in that industry, will still be quite costly compared to many budget offerings.

Jeep used my VIN number to determine the type of battery. I am also wondering if using a lead acid battery instead of AGM caused the alternator to fail?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Car battery now sorted and replaced with an Exide AGM battery plus 5 year warranty.
Sadly caravan battery flat as stupidly I left the 12v switched on. Switched off now and hopefully the solar panel will charge up the battery enough to lift the legs tomorrow. Not sure if my jump leads are long enough to reach from car to caravan?

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Car battery now sorted and replaced with an Exide AGM battery plus 5 year warranty.
Sadly caravan battery flat as stupidly I left the 12v switched on. Switched off now and hopefully the solar panel will charge up the battery enough to lift the legs tomorrow. Not sure if my jump leads are long enough to reach from car to caravan?

Can you not take the battery off the van and charge it up at home?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thought you might appreciate this article which with your Jeep could be your next caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thought you might appreciate this article which with your Jeep could be your next caravan.

Thanks. Lithium is expensive, but over the years could amount to significant savings if sites introduce metering on pitches.
Recently on a site we were using about 7-8kw or just under £3.50 a day however we did have the air con running at setting 20C so not a huge draw on ampere. Maximum cooling the air con uses 4amp and we never use maximum cooling. Plus of course it is thermostatically controlled so not cooling excessively or unnecessary. Without air con operating and using just the fan not much difference on consumption.
Biggest issue is winter as even though we have a Safefill bottle we will will go through 7.5kg of gas within a week.
Previously in the middle of winter a 6kg Calor gas cylinder lasted 4 days so using that as a reference point however also used for cooking, fridge and hot water heating.
I am not sure how well a fridge would work if you used EHU or gas to cool it right down and then if using a lithium battery switched to 12v if that is at all possible.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For the record most own brand batteries from Halfords are either rebadged Bosch or Yuasa - certainly the 115Ah leisure battery is. If it is from the Bosch stable the outside of the case is smooth, if it is Yuasa then it has double-row edge ridges on it.

TRENDING THREADS