Car driver assistance aids and MOT

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The auto hold on my SantaFe puts the brake lights ON, The car failed to MOT two years ago for a left hand mirror repeater, dealers price was over £150 plus labour, I got a new one for £38.95 from eBay. It took me two hours to replace it,
Soon to replace my rear discs and pads, and the manual states for bedding in new parking brake shoes, to drive at 25 kph and a apply the electric hand brake until the car stops. I will do that near to the house in case something gets stuck on.
On my inspection this came up rear disc and pads need replacement soon but the front ones okay .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I changed my rear pads at 40k miles and will soon change the rear discs for the first time at 87k miles. I am with Roger, tyres brakes etc, are you sure your not being ripped off. My car is 8 years old.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed that if a car isn’t used regularly the discs will get visible rust deposits which seem to lead to more rapid deterioration than if the car is well used. Also I tend to think automatic handbrakes will rub prior to fully retracting as you move away under throttle. Could also be a calliper issue nit backing off through low usage.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My previous V90 went into a local Volvo garage for a service and they warned me that my front pads were “worn - 40%” did I want them changing? I declined as I would do them myself (the fronts are easy on a V90). On removing the old ones I was surprised at how much material was left and phoned the garage. Apparently when they say “worn - 40%” they mean that 40% has worn away so 60% remaining. A careful play of words to allow folks to believe they need changing?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My thoughts also as I get over 30k out of discs and pads.
I'm not having a go at you - but 30k out of discs/pads is heavy use which makes Beachball's 18K extremely heavy use - I've done 56,000 and my originals are about 60% worn - my previous Hyundai Santa Fe was similar - in both cases though, the dealer suggested at 30,000 that new brakes were needed - it's a common money-making ploy, some would call it fraud!

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger 6mm pads /60% worn rear disc corroded but are ok now but advise disc and pads replacement in the near future
Pads are typically 10mm and need to be replaced at 2mm - so yours are really only 50% worn - the rear disk corrosion could be lack of use!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that if a car isn’t used regularly the discs will get visible rust deposits which seem to lead to more rapid deterioration than if the car is well used. Also I tend to think automatic handbrakes will rub prior to fully retracting as you move away under throttle. Could also be a calliper issue nit backing off through low usage.
Hi clive my car did not get a lot of use when i first got it i was not well then we had lockdown and so on

May 7, 2012
Visit site
These things have been available for some years now. What we need is the cars to be programmed so they do not work if the signal stops, so you need the key with you. Possibly some genius will come up with an answer to that in time though.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I'm not having a go at you - but 30k out of discs/pads is heavy use which makes Beachball's 18K extremely heavy use - I've done 56,000 and my originals are about 60% worn - my previous Hyundai Santa Fe was similar - in both cases though, the dealer suggested at 30,000 that new brakes were needed - it's a common money-making ploy, some would call it fraud!

I used to do my own maintenance when I was able. But used the main dealer to keep up the service shcedule. When I had a Citroen I took it for it’s service only to get a phone call at work too warn me that the rear breaks were gunged up and not working, needing a complete overall, new discs and pads. Also new front pads. They warned me it was dangerous. I told them to leave it.

Just to check, I took the wheels off when I got home. Then got a neighbour, who is a mechanic to look. Result. Some wear, but all in good condition.

I have never been back to that dealer.

So I agree with your fraud term.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At present i have asked the dealer for the video on this inspection all i have is paperwork and things need doing . Timing belt due in two months

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My auto hold works on all four wheels via the hydraulic brake. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed any drag. There again aren’t disc brake pads designed to gently touch the discs at all times? The Kia Uses an electric handbrake auto hold. That too releases as soon as the clutch is raised , almost undetectable.But I see your point and that may apply to other vehicles. I too have to express surprise at BB ‘s rear pads and discs🤔🤔

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
These things have been available for some years now. What we need is the cars to be programmed so they do not work if the signal stops, so you need the key with you. Possibly some genius will come up with an answer to that in time though.
What was this comment in relation to?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...There again aren’t disc brake pads designed to gently touch the discs at all times?...
No - the pad should just clear the disk so it able to spin without any interference from the pads until the brakes are applied. - otherwise the pads would wear anyway not to mention the waste of energy especially as manufacturers are trying to maximise efficiency

After adjustment they may just lightly brush, but that will soon clear within a mile or so of driving.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No - the pad should just clear the disk so it able to spin without any interference from the pads until the brakes are applied. - otherwise the pads would wear anyway not to mention the waste of energy especially as manufacturers are trying to maximise efficiency

After adjustment they may just lightly brush, but that will soon clear within a mile or so of driving.
I did say gently touch, less than a *** paper I suspect depending on the car. Technically once the brake pedal is released there is nothing in the system that physically pulls the pads off the disc. But the design allows , the pressureless pads to barely touch the disc.
When the brake pedal is released the piston and pads retract aprx .004in.
Agreed the wheel must spin. I understood the close proximity was to keep the disc clean and dry in motion, plus maintaining a short distance pedal movement. I wasn’t aware of any adjustment for brake pads onto the disc?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Wear and tear on things like tyres and brake pads/discs is so much dependent on driving conditions. In the days when my commute was straight down a motorway they used to last, what I thought, was a very long time.

Now having to drive through the Highlands, there is considerably more breaking and turning and these things don't last very long in comparison.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BB , my neighbours new Kia took nearly a year from order to delivery. Blamed on the world shortage of chips and other materials. Hope yours doesn’t take that long
Apart from a significant cost saving the reason we bought a 8 month old Kia Approved with under 4k on the clock in August 2022, was that for the same new car Kia were not accepting orders prior to July 2023. That may have changed now but that was the position then. To all intents and purposes it was a new car as Kia reinstated the 7 year warranty, 2 years full RAC Cover (UK/Europe) and 7 years of infotainment/navigation updates too.Chuffed with the deal, and car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts