Car driver assistance aids and MOT

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any car that's been used will demonstrate some corrosion of the disks. The question is how much corrosions has occurred, and has it reduced the efficiency of the braking system below an acceptable level.

That is something that can be measured. Ask the dealer to provided that evidence? If your unsure about the result, and what it means I suggest you ask an independent MOT station if they could just inspect and check the brakes (not do an MOT) on their equipment.

If you believe the dealer is trying to pull a fast one, report them to trading standards.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB how long will it take for all the disability equipment to be fitted? Not another three months I hope😢😢
Adaption Chesterfield will contact when they need my Pride rapid mobility scooter and some extras to be fitted but still waiting for the new car to come at Ford dealership

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
To answer Hutch and Buckman the nearest brake check is Kwik fit and like you (Buckman) i had a bad experience with them i have contact the garage my wife uses he cannot look at for over a week he busy with service and MOT so with this in mind i will let my car dealer sort it as arranged

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To answer Hutch and Buckman the nearest brake check is Kwik fit and like you (Buckman) i had a bad experience with them i have contact the garage my wife uses he cannot look at for over a week he busy with service and MOT so with this in mind i will let my car dealer sort it as arranged
But surely your brakes aren't at such stage that they are dangerous are they. A week isn't really going to make any difference to the wear or corrosion. How about Protyre, ATS, National etc or Halfords which is where my daughters 2022 NHS Toyota lease car has to be serviced.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
However whatever you do never ever let Kwik Fit touch your vehicle as the bill be higher than the dealer. We unfortunately learnt the very hard way.
I think you are in abuse of the forums rules, towards Kwick fit , my local one is very good.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I take both my Fiesta and Sorento to a local independent garage for servicing now.
They will fit OEM service parts if asked, they never try to add on work that doesn't need doing because they're busy and don't need to, and they're cheaper than a main dealership.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
But surely your brakes aren't at such stage that they are dangerous are they. A week isn't really going to make any difference to the wear or corrosion. How about Protyre, ATS, National etc or Halfords which is where my daughters 2022 NHS Toyota lease car has to be serviced.
Hi clive Rear brake disc and pads for replacement the front brakes are okay but i would rather be safe for road safety

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi clive Rear brake disc and pads for replacement the front brakes are okay but i would rather be safe for road safety
I can understand that you want to be safe but nowhere have you given any information as to what the disc thickness is, or what the remaining pad dimensions are. Our dealer and tyre fitters always give a paper print out of such things. Wrt safety your front ones do most of the braking work especially when unloaded.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My car is in to the dealer on Tuesday as we have a strong smell of diesel coming from the engine bay. Its still under warranty but they always give the car a 'health check'. It'll be interesting to see what else they come up with, which shouldn't be anything.

The car went into the dealer yesterday and highlights the joys of living in a reasonably remote rural location. For this type of investigation and work they go on a first come, first served basis, so we set off at 6am to get there for 9am. Even then they didn't start until 2pm.

The problem is a fractured fuel feed to the injectors. A small amount of diesel was dripping onto the engine and they declared it unsafe to drive - we'd been driving around like this for about 2 weeks! They can't get the part until tomorrow, so we had to get a bus home. So having started out at 6am we arrived back home at 9.30pm

No courtesy cars available, although I did suggest they give us one of the new shiny ones in the showroom :)

While there we asked for the rear passenger door to be looked at since it doesn't always open from the inside. Of course it worked for them and because of that they were dubious that it could be fixed under warranty. However, they checked and the 'powers that be' said yes both problems were covered.

They offered to look into getting one of their drivers to return the car to us but I'd rather collect it because I know where all the pot holes are on the way home. So another early start tomorrow and bus to Inverness.

No other problems came to light. Always had good service from the dealer but only use them when things need doing under warranty or are a bit more complex than our local garage can cover - which fortunately isn't often.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The car went into the dealer yesterday and highlights the joys of living in a reasonably remote rural location. For this type of investigation and work they go on a first come, first served basis, so we set off at 6am to get there for 9am. Even then they didn't start until 2pm.

The problem is a fractured fuel feed to the injectors. A small amount of diesel was dripping onto the engine and they declared it unsafe to drive - we'd been driving around like this for about 2 weeks! They can't get the part until tomorrow, so we had to get a bus home. So having started out at 6am we arrived back home at 9.30pm

No courtesy cars available, although I did suggest they give us one of the new shiny ones in the showroom :)

While there we asked for the rear passenger door to be looked at since it doesn't always open from the inside. Of course it worked for them and because of that they were dubious that it could be fixed under warranty. However, they checked and the 'powers that be' said yes both problems were covered.

They offered to look into getting one of their drivers to return the car to us but I'd rather collect it because I know where all the pot holes are on the way home. So another early start tomorrow and bus to Inverness.

No other problems came to light. Always had good service from the dealer but only use them when things need doing under warranty or are a bit more complex than our local garage can cover - which fortunately isn't often.
May have been cheaper to have taken the caravan and stay overnight if you had known😁

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As our Jeep dealer is about 70 miles away we take the caravan with us if the car is going in for a service or minor repair. If a repair that is not minor, then we do not take the caravan, but get a loan car from the dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts