Car driver assistance aids and MOT

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did say gently touch, less than a *** paper I suspect depending on the car. Technically once the brake pedal is released there is nothing in the system that physically pulls the pads off the disc. But the design allows , the pressureless pads to barely touch the disc.
When the brake pedal is released the piston and pads retract aprx .004in.
Agreed the wheel must spin. I understood the close proximity was to keep the disc clean and dry in motion, plus maintaining a short distance pedal movement. I wasn’t aware of any adjustment for brake pads onto the disc?
The primary reason for the close proximity is so the pads don't have to move far before coming into contact with the disk to produce a braking force. Any cleaning effect is a secondary benefit, but most cleaning occurs when the brakes are first applied.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm not having a go at you - but 30k out of discs/pads is heavy use which makes Beachball's 18K extremely heavy use - I've done 56,000 and my originals are about 60% worn - my previous Hyundai Santa Fe was similar - in both cases though, the dealer suggested at 30,000 that new brakes were needed - it's a common money-making ploy, some would call it fraud!

On my first 2005 Jeep dealer told me that pads and discs needed replacing as 70% worn. Took Jeep to local mechanic who showed me the pads etc and told me that still about 70% left so no need to change the pads or discs.

On my 2012 Jeep bought with 45k on the clock the brakes and discs all round had already been changed twice by Jeep dealer somewhere in Hampshire! I did another 20k with it and no issue with discs or pads.

Current Jeep has 40k on clock and no history of discs or pads being changed and I bought from a Jeep dealership.

It does seem that certain dealerships may do a bit of a "con" on a customer to generate more income?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Going back to Sam’s original post where he wanted to reduce the number of “ must have “ features, I guess that he won’t be wanting a HhiPhi X the latest Chinese car to be approved by TUV. Its headlights can project movies forward for your own drive in experience.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Had a text from my dealer they have book my car for collection on Tuesday looks like the Rear disc and pads replacement .
If I were you, I would not let them do the brakes unless the garage are paying for them to be replaced, as you may well be getting your new car within the month.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the paperwork it says the disc are corroded so i am at crossroads with it what to do for the best .?
On a previous Jeep I was told exactly the same thing and cost was nearly £400 for replacements. I took it to another garage and they showed me there was no issue and both the discs and pads were okay. Also told that if they did need replacing cost would be about £200!

Not sure why discs should be corroded on such a new car like yours with probably low mileage for the year? As Hutch has pointed out why spend money non a car that is going to be traded in in a few weeks. The selling dealer will probably not even bother with changing the "corroded" discs.

However at the end of the day it is your choice whether to make the car good for the next person. (y) :D

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On a previous Jeep I was told exactly the same thing and cost was nearly £400 for replacements. I took it to another garage and they showed me there was no issue and both the discs and pads were okay. Also told that if they did need replacing cost would be about £200!

Not sure why discs should be corroded on such a new car like yours with probably low mileage for the year? As Hutch has pointed out why spend money non a car that is going to be traded in in a few weeks. The selling dealer will probably not even bother with changing the "corroded" discs.

However at the end of the day it is your choice whether to make the car good for the next person. (y) :D
Discs will corrode on low mileage cars sometimes more quickly than cars used everyday. My car has not moved since last Sunday and it’s discs are rusty brown. That’s going to be rubbed off of the dusc

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Discs will corrode on low mileage cars sometimes more quickly than cars used everyday. My car has not moved since last Sunday and it’s discs are rusty brown. That’s going to be rubbed off of the dusc
Going rusty brown seems fairly normal as it happens with both our cars. I am not sure as I am not a mechanic, but don't the rear wheels also have a drum brake for the hand brake?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Going rusty brown seems fairly normal as it happens with both our cars. I am not sure as I am not a mechanic, but don't the rear wheels also have a drum brake for the hand brake?
It varies - some, perhaps most, cars with rear discs also have a drum brake for the parking brake - but some have a parking brake mechanism which uses the rear discs and pads.

Discs going brown is normal when they're not in use - but clears away quickly just by driving along.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Beachball ,I really think your garage is ripping you off, 4 tyres , brakes etc and your exchanging the car, Think again about having these items done,
Your with rescue services, AAn/ RAC/ Mayday, etc they have services to check your car, maybe £100 inspection, might save you £xxx. Your brakes can wear down to either an visual indicator or a audible " squeal" indicator" Don't get ripped off.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Beachball ,I really think your garage is ripping you off, 4 tyres , brakes etc and your exchanging the car, Think again about having these items done,
Your with rescue services, AAn/ RAC/ Mayday, etc they have services to check your car, maybe £100 inspection, might save you £xxx. Your brakes can wear down to either an visual indicator or a audible " squeal" indicator" Don't get ripped off.
I agree with Hutch, you're being ripped off - VW dealers have a reputation for this but maybe other brands are as bad.

Even when the brake wear warning is triggered, you've still got 1,000 miles or so before they need doing.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Not to say the cam belt in a few weeks time. Probably around £400 I guess plus £800 for those Pirellis on top od discs/pads. If you are certain they need doing use an independent ,it is bread and butter to them.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I had a service contract with a local main Ford dealership for my Fiesta.
I cancelled it after 2 years when they tried to rip me off by inventing jobs that didn't need doing on the car.
Because I'm quietly spoken and have a mobility issue this garage must have imagined that I have no mechanical knowledge.
I used to have the service done with the MOT, and on the final 2nd occasion the car passed the MOT, but with a list of advisories that beggared belief.
I was a trained apprentice motor mechanic from when I left school until I found a better job as a driver, so I checked these 'advisories' that the garage expected me to come back and pay them to rectify.
I had the 'corroded brake disk', 'rear spring corrosion' and even one that advised that my screenwasher bottle was empty even though they'd supposed to have serviced the car!
The 'corroded' disks were normal light rust from irregular use, the springs had a few light rust spots in places.
There were several other spurious advisories, which I discussed in a very forthright way with the service manager when I cancelled the service contract.
Beachball, it seems to me that this garage have made assumptions about you which has led them to think that they can rip you off easily because you're not mechanically minded.
Take your car somewhere else when work is due again if you still have it, you're being taken for a mug.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a service contract with a local main Ford dealership for my Fiesta.
I cancelled it after 2 years when they tried to rip me off by inventing jobs that didn't need doing on the car.
Because I'm quietly spoken and have a mobility issue this garage must have imagined that I have no mechanical knowledge.
I used to have the service done with the MOT, and on the final 2nd occasion the car passed the MOT, but with a list of advisories that beggared belief.
I was a trained apprentice motor mechanic from when I left school until I found a better job as a driver, so I checked these 'advisories' that the garage expected me to come back and pay them to rectify.
I had the 'corroded brake disk', 'rear spring corrosion' and even one that advised that my screenwasher bottle was empty even though they'd supposed to have serviced the car!
The 'corroded' disks were normal light rust from irregular use, the springs had a few light rust spots in places.
There were several other spurious advisories, which I discussed in a very forthright way with the service manager when I cancelled the service contract.
Beachball, it seems to me that this garage have made assumptions about you which has led them to think that they can rip you off easily because you're not mechanically minded.
Take your car somewhere else when work is due again if you still have it, you're being taken for a mug.
It’s been going on for years. When I lived in Canada in the mid 80’s the person I rented the house from warned me to watch out if I took the car to Canadian Tire as they would try to extend the work package by adding things on. Their staff were paid commission on the extra work packages agreed by customers.
When I had my Skoda Superb I took the middle road and used a Skoda-VW-Audi independent, who used genuine parts, access to VAG diagnostic software and the services were uploaded to the VAG database so it stayed in warranty. They were not the cheapest but certainly cheaper than the local Skoda dealership, and they were good to deal with.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Going back to Sam’s original post where he wanted to reduce the number of “ must have “ features, I guess that he won’t be wanting a HhiPhi X the latest Chinese car to be approved by TUV. Its headlights can project movies forward for your own drive in experience.

OOOH yes please. I could then blast all those inconsiderate drivers coming towards me with headlights blazing, with movies of the Terminator or similar.
:)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My car is in to the dealer on Tuesday as we have a strong smell of diesel coming from the engine bay. Its still under warranty but they always give the car a 'health check'. It'll be interesting to see what else they come up with, which shouldn't be anything.

Last year when it had a fault they only picked up on front brake pad/disk wear but I knew that was a problem anyway.

It's also got an MOT warranty so in June when its due that will also be interesting to see what they 'invent'

On the previous car and some years back on its first MOT, and at a dealer far away from home, they told me the Turbo was defective and would need replacing at about £2k. I pointed out that it was under warranty and they then did a quick back track and said it wasn't that bad anyway. Regardless, I took it to a local dealer who diagnosed a split pipe to the turbo which they repaired under warranty, presumably a lot less than £2k.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m beginning to smell a rat here. It seems all the “expensive advisories” are coming from main dealers. My Independant chap, he went to school with my daughter , lives and dies by the sword. He does all the servicing and MOTs and has always been very honest . Yes , he has said the discs have an advisory but do not worrying about until next year ,10 k . His hourly rate is £45 at least half the main VAG Dealer

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It varies - some, perhaps most, cars with rear discs also have a drum brake for the parking brake - but some have a parking brake mechanism which uses the rear discs and pads.

Discs going brown is normal when they're not in use - but clears away quickly just by driving along.
Hi Roger i think you have hit it my car is nearly five years old when i first got it did not drive it like i should and for some weeks going back to doctor i had problems with my health , my wife had to keep moving the car back and forward for the parking brake.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts