Car electrics

Aug 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi i have not used my van for a year ,i went to check my 13 pin electrics on my car and i have no power to any pin on the socket. Confused , Hope someone can help me

May 7, 2012
Visit site
if everything worked before, then I would check for dirt or corrosion on the pins in the plug as a first step.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum.

You will only get power at pins when that particular function is operating, so for example road light circuits will only be live if the road lights are turned on, on the car.

Power for charging battery or the fridge will only be active when the engine is running. I could be corrosion on the connector.

If that has been the case and you are still getting nothing, then there is a problem somewhere in the cars circuitry.

Unless you are competent with electrics I suggest you get it checked and repaired by a professional

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome Caran.
I support the Prof. Not all pins have current. What point did you use for the earth?
Was the engine running, and had been for a short while?

May 2, 2020
Visit site
As prof said make sure you test with a good earth connection also have you checked the fuse that supplies the towing relay

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Caran15,

I assume you are testing the tow bar electrics by plugging the caravan and checking the lights?
The only common connection to the lighting is the earth wiring. This is the white wire on pin 3 of the 13 pin plug. This is a permanent connection (not switched) and should be easy to check with a multimeter set on a continuity. Testing between the car chassis and the pin should read very low resistance (less than an ohm ideally).
I hope that helps a bit.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Obviously.
Another thought, it’s likely the smart relay is powered up by a switched (ignition) feed. I’ve seen all kinds of contrivances (lash-ups) to obtain this, most often by piggy backing a fuse in the fuse box. Look for an extra fuse on a wire hanging out of the fuse box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts