Car insurance - a pleasant surprise.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
After reading lots in the media about massive hikes in insurance costs I was not looking forward to my renewal.

Got it this morning (LV) and my premium is going up by 12%. Which sounds a lot but a smaller increase than anticipated and I could get it to 0% by shopping around.

Ok the car is a bog std. six year old Kuga not a new Range Rover or Tesla but one does wonder if things are as bad as the media would have us believe.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
When I renewed with LV in February my premium rose by almost 50% £350 to about £570 :oops: and that was for a then 5 year old Mazda 6 diesel estate, so hardly a boy racers motor!

After doing a lot of shopping around I was unable to get a better quote., so you have done very well.

Reactions: JRT
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
+1 with Andy on LV. Mine went up from £372 to £533 with LV a couple of months ago on a 72 plate Karoq Sportline diesel. I rang them and pushed a bit and they got it down to £506. I tried other insurers and the closest was Saga at just under £600, the highest was Direct Line at £1094!!! (Now I know why DL don't go on comparison sites!)
Could it be because LV are now owned by Allianz?

I now have buildings and contents insurance up by 53% to deal with before the end of this month.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After reading lots in the media about massive hikes in insurance costs I was not looking forward to my renewal.

Got it this morning (LV) and my premium is going up by 12%. Which sounds a lot but a smaller increase than anticipated and I could get it to 0% by shopping around.

Ok the car is a bog std. six year old Kuga not a new Range Rover or Tesla but one does wonder if things are as bad as the media would have us believe.
We received a letter from LV last week, and it was a detailed explanation of where and why insurance costs were increasing. Home is due soon, and cars in October. Like Plodd the cars went up last year by 40% but when I tried online comparators and also those companies that don’t use comparator sites I could not get a quote to beat LV. The much applauded NFU wanted twice as much for one car as LV did for two cars. So it’s wait and see time.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Now if I was a cynical individual.................

If ALL the insurers, for some bizarre reason, all.decided to increase their car premiums over 1 year, they could the following year, crow about how they kept that years premiums the same as last years, or even lowered them slightly to make themselves look good whilst having boosted their profits by a decent percentage

Like I said, if I was cynical ;)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am also with LV. I cannot recall the amounts. But it had initially gone up a substantial ammount. I called them, and by adding other drivers, and reducing my milage, I brought it down to something similar to last the previous year.

I think that insurance companies adjust for milage far more than they used to.

John

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We received a letter from LV last week, and it was a detailed explanation of where and why insurance costs were increasing.

I got an email from LV yesterday outlining exactly the same and I immediately thought 'oh heck here we go...'

Now I realise there is a bit of psychology in play by telling me to expect bad news but then it not being as bad as I might have thought on reading that email.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Aviva last November was £393 , previously £300.
Tried elsewhere , nothing cheaper.
There are a number of reasons for the widespread increases.
Bodily injury claim awards have risen
Car body repairs have increased
dramatically . Eg paint power labour .
Certain types of car are not easily repairable and are written off.
Plus of course the variables across the board are infinite so comparing on here can only be seen as a trend.
Just a shame our pensions don’t increase😥

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Aviva last November was £393 , previously £300.
Tried elsewhere , nothing cheaper.
There are a number of reasons for the widespread increases.
Bodily injury claim awards have risen
Car body repairs have increased
dramatically . Eg paint power labour .
Certain types of car are not easily repairable and are written off.
Plus of course the variables across the board are infinite so comparing on here can only be seen as a trend.
Just a shame our pensions don’t increase😥
Why pensions? Surely you benefitted by two years of Triple Lock increases ? 10.1% plus 8.5% isn’t to be ignored.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our LV renewal through Lloyds Bank was ridiculous Meerkats came in much cheaper with LV direct, then a couple of days later Allianz came up cheaper still,and Allianz is same group as LV, all details were same for car across the 3 quotes so something strange is going on in insurance.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our LV renewal through Lloyds Bank was ridiculous Meerkats came in much cheaper with LV direct, then a couple of days later Allianz came up cheaper still,and Allianz is same group as LV, all details were same for car across the 3 quotes so something strange is going on in insurance.
I have just received Home quote from LV and it's risen from £242 to £332. Using Meerkat it is £333 with Allianz their parent company it is even more expensive. Cheapest is Esure at £179, with Axa and Aviva similar to the 2023/4 LV quotation. So like my mobiles and broadband this loyal customer may be moving insurer, as LV quote is supposedly reduced by my membership of Boundless and by having car insurance with them.

Apologies in advance to Fred Drift aficionados :eek:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have just received Home quote from LV and it's risen from £242 to £332. Using Meerkat it is £333 with Allianz their parent company it is even more expensive. Cheapest is Esure at £179, with Axa and Aviva similar to the 2023/4 LV quotation. So like my mobiles and broadband this loyal customer may be moving insurer, as LV quote is supposedly reduced by my membership of Boundless and by having car insurance with them.

Apologies in advance to Fred Drift aficionados :eek:
No help from all your discount cards😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No help from all your discount cards😉
They aren’t discount cards but reductions via a membership and other policies with LV. Either way not much benefit. But I even tried AgeUk who use LV and got a lower price plus Home Emergency addition included. Taking the **** methinks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
They aren’t discount cards but reductions via a membership and other policies with LV. Either way not much benefit. But I even tried AgeUk who use LV and got a lower price plus Home Emergency addition included. Taking the **** methinks.
At the moment until next year anyway Aviva give me a good discount for having car and home with them. How long it lasts who knows?

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Just a reminder about one of our rules.....

These forums are for the discussion of caravans, motorhomes, and associated topics. Posts that derail from this topic, or attempt to steer the conversation to matters of religion, politics, or other unrelated issues may be removed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts