Car Insurance Increases

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
So that's the house insurance renewed - and also the caravan insurance. Now I await my two car insurances. In these times of rocketing prices, what sort of increases have forum members recently had quoted? What is a reasonable percentage increase?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have not renewed mine since September last year when the premium increase went very much. But the BBC reported some large increases driven by a number of factors. Here's the link. But if a renewal quotation isn't good shopping around is an option, but I don't necessarily go for the cheapest as I want good service when something goes awry. Percentage increase being reasonable or not is difficult one, given that some of the cost drivers don't necessarily feature in the CPI.

business-64501671

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
There has been a recent post on this.

For me, I got a renewal quote from LV which was a large increase. I swore a bit, then shopped around. Then went back to LV as they were the cheapest. And they give good service.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

For me, I got a renewal quote from LV which was a large increase. I swore a bit, then shopped around. Then went back to LV as they were the cheapest. And they give good service.

John
+ 1 for LV with cars, home and travel too.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife kept with dial direct car insurance it only increased by £12 and we found it was the cheapest so we paid it in full one less direct debit

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......in the process of renewing both our vehicle's insurance and they have both risen by 20%.
Staying with the Halifax as both are still less than £150/ annum each fully comprehensive.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

John

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
Im with churchill, premium went up £150 this renewal so straight onto them asking why - no accidents etc but had changed car for a smaller engined and sized car, the excuse given was the car was a 2.3 engine and i said so why is it dearer than the vehicle i had before which had a 2.7 engine in it, he said just a minute put the music on then came back and lowered the price by £100 which i decided was acceptable for the new car it being slightly younger than my old one, never accept insurance quotes at face value any more, found that out when we had a few vehicles

Reactions: toad a caravan
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We changed our car on 28 Feb from a 18plate Passat Estate to an ex demo 72plate Skoda Karoq - just named as towcar of the year no less.
The Passat insurance last year cost me £338.
When I changed to the Karoq I got a £2.66 refund (after the £15 change charge!) to the end of April.
I have just received the renewal. The whole year to the end of April if it had been the Karoq would have been £318 - which I thought was good. The renewal? £391!!! and all with LV.
I did some digging and was surprised to find I could get it as low as £308 and then increasing in leaps but all were with insurers that I had never heard of. The cheapest named company was LV, and most others are well north of £400 - indeed the next highest after LV is £455!
What amazes me is why the huge increase? I think our total increase over the last 3-4 years has been about £60ish, so why now £73 in one year?
Methinks I will be challenging them in a couple of weeks to get it down a bit.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We were guilty of renewing my wife’s Fiat 500 insurance with Direct Line every year without shopping around. This year I pulled my finger out, Direct Line quoted £560, everyone else was half that. We went with Hastings at £210, identical cover to Direct Line who only managed to knock £50 off their quote when challenged.

My Volvo is with LV who have managed to beat everyone else in that one.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We changed our car on 28 Feb from a 18plate Passat Estate to an ex demo 72plate Skoda Karoq - just named as towcar of the year no less.
The Passat insurance last year cost me £338.
When I changed to the Karoq I got a £2.66 refund (after the £15 change charge!) to the end of April.
I have just received the renewal. The whole year to the end of April if it had been the Karoq would have been £318 - which I thought was good. The renewal? £391!!! and all with LV.
I did some digging and was surprised to find I could get it as low as £308 and then increasing in leaps but all were with insurers that I had never heard of. The cheapest named company was LV, and most others are well north of £400 - indeed the next highest after LV is £455!
What amazes me is why the huge increase? I think our total increase over the last 3-4 years has been about £60ish, so why now £73 in one year?
Methinks I will be challenging them in a couple of weeks to get it down a bit.
It can be enlightening, or disheartening, to look at lists of car insurance groups for all the models - the ABI uses various factors in determining the insurance group but individual insurers can do their own thing.

My VW Touareg is group 43 (out of 50) but our Citroen C1 is group 2.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Touareg is now £313 whilst the Cee’d with RSA is £330. SWMBO fell for the old trick of auto renewal. Her mistake . The disparity is amazing but clearly explains to me why RSA have pulled out of motor insurance. Driving experience , claims history , location are some of the many factors taken into account in the premium calculation. Are non ICEs cheaper on insurance?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Touareg is now £313 whilst the Cee’d with RSA is £330. SWMBO fell for the old trick of auto renewal. Her mistake . The disparity is amazing but clearly explains to me why RSA have pulled out of motor insurance. Driving experience , claims history , location are some of the many factors taken into account in the premium calculation. Are non ICEs cheaper on insurance?

Your last sentence is tempting fate!!! A recent thread wrt the supposed "dangers" of non ICE cars and the low repairability threshold might suggest that insurance premiums could be higher. But really it would not be comparing like for like unless largely equivalent models were compared IE ID3 versus Golf, but then selling prices are quite different.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Your last sentence is tempting fate!!! A recent thread wrt the supposed "dangers" of non ICE cars and the low repairability threshold might suggest that insurance premiums could be higher. But really it would not be comparing like for like unless largely equivalent models were compared IE ID3 versus Golf, but then selling prices are quite different.
😁😁 April Fool 🤪🤪🤪

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's difficult to compare IC vs EV insurance costs but there aren't any very low grouped EVs, ie in the 1-5 range

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The reality is modern cars are not easily repaired irrespective of type. Crumple zones are constructed in such a way that repairing is very difficult and expensive. The following photo is my daughters car . She rear ended another. Her Polo looks worse than it is. However her Insurer wrote it off and paid her cash £8,000. No wonder Insurers are increasing their premiums.image0.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The reality is modern cars are not easily repaired irrespective of type. Crumple zones are constructed in such a way that repairing is very difficult and expensive. The following photo is my daughters car . She rear ended another. Her Polo looks worse than it is. However her Insurer wrote it off and paid her cash £8,000. No wonder Insurers are increasing their premiums.View attachment 4476
That’s a big ouch. 🙁

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi clive does LV Travel take pre-existing medical conditions would it better if i give them a ring ?
Yes. They have a very simplified approach to information regarding a number of conditions. But obviously when you answer the questions depending upon your answers it can take you deeper or onto a discussion with a person. For example I had a DVT in 2017. But as it only happened once with no repeat or complications it’s just noted and normal cover is extended with no exclusions. I guess if I had a second DVT then the premium would increase or the condition be excluded. Hence when driving I stop every two hours for a walkabout.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes. They have a very simplified approach to information regarding a number of conditions. But obviously when you answer the questions depending upon your answers it can take you deeper or onto a discussion with a person. For example I had a DVT in 2017. But as it only happened once with no repeat or complications it’s just noted and normal cover is extended with no exclusions. I guess if I had a second DVT then the premium would increase or the condition be excluded. Hence when driving I stop every two hours for a walkabout.
Hi clive thanks for the information i will see hows it goes with them and see how much the premium is .(y)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My car insurance is due towards the end of April so I've been shopping around.

Would have liked a quote from LV but every time I completed the details and go to get the quote I get the 'oops something went wrong'

Any way what a variation. Aviva £699 down to AXA at £333. Only a couple of pounds more than last year's Direct Line. They were well over £400 for a renewal.

I need to make sure the details of the AXA policy match my needs.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Would have liked a quote from LV but every time I completed the details and go to get the quote I get the 'oops something went wrong'

Any way what a variation. Aviva £699 down to AXA at £333. Only a couple of pounds more than last year's Direct Line. They were well over £400 for a renewal.

Are you using the compare Dot com type companies? I found better quotes going to the Insurers direct. Which? List a table of the best insurers. Why not follow that list one by one?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

You could try applying by phone.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Are you using the compare Dot com type companies? I found better quotes going to the Insurers direct. Which? List a table of the best insurers. Why not follow that list one by one?
I used the Which list then went direct to the vendors web site. Also used a few others

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts