Caravan and Motorhome Club Site Prices

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Looking to book a week away at one of the club sites (as a member) but have started to look at private/commercial sites,they seem to offer a lot more by way of facilities and at a far cheaper price.
Why should I pay an annual fee just to visit high price sites with not many facilities.
Thinking of coming out the club and giving up caravanning.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I suppose it's to do with guaranteed consistency (ish).
However, no need to give up caravanning for that issue alone. Are there other reasons too?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking to book a week away at one of the club sites (as a member) but have started to look at private/commercial sites,they seem to offer a lot more by way of facilities and at a far cheaper price.
Why should I pay an annual fee just to visit high price sites with not many facilities.
Bit drastic; wait till you start to look seriously at the prices for UK stays of all types. Overseas at present still seem to offer good value and a glass of Malbec doesn’t knock you back neigh on £9 or more.

Reactions: PTA
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The cost of living crisis is affecting site owners just as much as caravanners - in addition, electricity/gas costs for commercial businesses have increased even more than the doubling that domestic customers have incurred - so it's no surprise that site fees are shooting up.

I made the same observation about Caravan Club site fees as the OP thirty years ago and have generally avoided them since - but the membership fee is still paid as it gives me access to CLs and Mayday recovery - as they say, we pays our money and makes our choice.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s also some very good CLs that provide facilities ranging from top class, to more basic, but of course it’s not the same as a larger site if that is what the OP prefers.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

Same as your thoughts Bertieboy, last week looked to stay at there site near Looe, £141.00 for 3 night's, went 15 mins up the road, lovely site, £93.00.
BUT it wouldnt make me want to give up !!!
I joined them only this year as the van insurance was better then the C&CC, more than saved my membership fee.
Also will be changing later in the year from C&CC Arrival to there Mayday as again a lot cheaper.
Just hook up and go elsewhere.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Been a member for several years but haven't used an actual club site for several years.
There's a club site close to where our son and his family live. Currently they are charging over £36 a night. We tend to use some of the CL's in the area. Some are less than half the price of the club site.
We stay for the CL's, rallies etc along with Mayday recovery and their insurance.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I haven't stayed on either club sites for years, but We keep membership for both for the insurance and Mayday recovery. Also discount for being seniors.
We went last week to Houghton Mills, a National Trust site, last time it was £27 a night Last week £35 . There are many cheaper Cl/cs sites but we are happy to pay that for a few days. Any longer and we would look else where.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I like the CAMC sites for the consistency and peace and quiet. Not been on one which is noisy at night.... yet.

Funny, I was thinking about having a gripe about the CAMC for different reasons. Firstly, a lot of them just seem to be fairly featureless car parks with little character. It annoys me that there is a universal ban on firepits. Surely this could be decided on a site by site basis, and obviously not in the current tinder try conditions. Also I'm getting fed up with the speculative bookings. I am planning a trip to Scotland next year, early June. I looked at availability of Hawes CAMC site in the Yorkshire days for a two night stopover. Well and truly booked up. Found a very nice CL through the CC&C instead. They seem to have more CLs thand CAMC and I'm looking to go for more of these types of sites in future

Like Hutch, I'll probably keep my membership due to the Mayday cover. Generally the facilities seem to be of a higher standard at the CAMC sites than the CCC and they will always be an option for me, especially out of season.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We avoid CAMC where possible due to their high prices and use commercial sites often with better and more facilities and at a lower price. On some commercial sites you can book a specific pitch without the need to pay an extra fee.
The days of rowdy pubs on sites are long gone as many owners realised that it did not pay dividends. Nowadays on site pubs are pretty decent where you can relax, have a drink and a meal at a reasonable price and everyone enjoys themselves.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have use both club sites in the past but me and the wife use love adult parks and we stop at a lovely one called Monarch lakeside park CL at Boston it was £22 per night we thought it was great value

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I like the CAMC sites for the consistency and peace and quiet. Not been on one which is noisy at night.... yet.

Funny, I was thinking about having a gripe about the CAMC for different reasons. Firstly, a lot of them just seem to be fairly featureless car parks with little character. It annoys me that there is a universal ban on firepits. Surely this could be decided on a site by site basis, and obviously not in the current tinder try conditions. Also I'm getting fed up with the speculative bookings. I am planning a trip to Scotland next year, early June. I looked at availability of Hawes CAMC site in the Yorkshire days for a two night stopover. Well and truly booked up. Found a very nice CL through the CC&C instead. They seem to have more CLs thand CAMC and I'm looking to go for more of these types of sites in future

Like Hutch, I'll probably keep my membership due to the Mayday cover. Generally the facilities seem to be of a higher standard at the CAMC sites than the CCC and they will always be an option for me, especially out of season.
It surprises me that C&CC has more CS 5-van sites than the CC/CAMC has CLs - the CC used to have twice as many as C&CC

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It surprises me that C&CC has more CS 5-van sites than the CC/CAMC has CLs - the CC used to have twice as many as C&CC
I think it still does have more CLs than the CCC has CS, and post lockdown 1 the increase in CS numbers as reported in the CMHC magazine was quite notable. One month 30 joined the network.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Funny, I was thinking about having a gripe about the CAMC for different reasons. Firstly, a lot of them just seem to be fairly featureless car parks ...

Until recently that hadn't been our experience, but we stayed on the Littlehampton site last month and that was exactly what we thought...that said we've stayed on some nice C&MC sites too, Worthing a couple of years ago was lovely.

Like Hutch, I'll probably keep my membership due to the Mayday cover.
Yes, when Mrs Gozza's AA membership expires later this year I'm going to move both our cars to Green Flag Mayday, and I've already got caravan insurance through the CAMC scheme, so it looks like we'll be members for a while!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Until recently that hadn't been our experience, but we stayed on the Littlehampton site last month and that was exactly what we thought...that said we've stayed on some nice C&MC sites too, Worthing a couple of years ago was lovely.

Yes, when Mrs Gozza's AA membership expires later this year I'm going to move both our cars to Green Flag Mayday, and I've already got caravan insurance through the CAMC scheme, so it looks like we'll be members for a while!
Mayday and CLs make it worthwhile the annual subscription. Not sure about the insurance as the only reason it is competitive is that you do not pay premium tax,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The clubs pricing can be a little high but when you look at prices quoted in the magazine they are not far out. You can find cheaper but these are mainly smaller family owned sites where they do not have the overall management structure to support and the owners can be part of the workforce. It is annoying but the different basis of the two systems does account for much of the problem.
Having booked ahead I have four nights on a commercial site for just under three on a club site 85 miles away. The terms of booking for the private site though are far harder than the club one, so it does tend to balance out.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I have been a member for many years but only for the other caravanning products insurance ferries etc.Its useful as they offer terms not easily found elswhere especially if one wants to taker long trips.. I rarely ever camp in the UK apart from the odd night on the way to the docks but tend to use thier sites because they have been easy to to book (but may not continue one the deposits start). As for giving up caravanning if all I got out of it was time on their expensive over regulated and featureless sites I would too but even if you stay in the UK there is a lot more to choose from and if you cross the water its a whole new world.
David

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To put prices in perspective I’m looking at a site near to Builth Wells it’s a private one. A small tent (three person tunnel) two nights grass no electric £40. With deposit £20 and balance two weeks before arrival. My son is coming in a similar tent and only one car between us. £80 for 2 people 2 nights as they wouldn’t entertain considering us as a single pitch with two people. Needless to say it’s CCC Wyeside Rhayader. Lower deposit and two tents considered as a single pitch. Balance payable on day of arrival.

Big plus is even Hutch would find it hard going to visit the pubs of Rhayader in a week.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The clubs pricing can be a little high but when you look at prices quoted in the magazine they are not far out. You can find cheaper but these are mainly smaller family owned sites where they do not have the overall management structure to support and the owners can be part of the workforce. It is annoying but the different basis of the two systems does account for much of the problem.
Having booked ahead I have four nights on a commercial site for just under three on a club site 85 miles away. The terms of booking for the private site though are far harder than the club one, so it does tend to balance out.
When you say terms of booking are far harder, in which way, we are never noisey, dogs are always on a lead even around the caravan, which the other week at Houghton Mills, a National trust site our neighbours dog was always running between the two vans together off lead. With the kids shouting for the lovely little thing. . So what differences in T and C, 's

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To put prices in perspective I’m looking at a site near to Builth Wells it’s a private one. A small tent (three person tunnel) two nights grass no electric £40. With deposit £20 and balance two weeks before arrival. My son is coming in a similar tent and only one car between us. £80 for 2 people 2 nights as they wouldn’t entertain considering us as a single pitch with two people. Needless to say it’s CCC Wyeside Rhayader. Lower deposit and two tents considered as a single pitch. Balance payable on day of arrival.

Bug plus is even Hutch would find it hard going to visit the pubs of Rhayader in a week.
I will give the site a look at, thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When you say terms of booking are far harder, in which way, we are never noisey, dogs are always on a lead even around the caravan, which the other week at Houghton Mills, a National trust site our neighbours dog was always running between the two vans together off lead. With the kids shouting for the lovely little thing. . So what differences in T and C, 's
Perhaps Ray is referring to the fact many commercial sites charge a higher up front deposit and require the balance well before arrival. But to my mind you pays your money and takes your choice. We used both clubs, CL/CS and private sites. The main consideration for us was the location in the area we wanted to visit.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps Ray is referring to the fact many commercial sites charge a higher up front deposit and require the balance well before arrival. But to my mind you pays your money and takes your choice. We used both clubs, CL/CS and private sites. The main consideration for us was the location in the area we wanted to visit.
Lets have Rays reply, on the subject.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Big plus is even Hutch would find it hard going to visit the pubs of Rhayader in a week.
We are stopping on farm site in Presteigne not far from Builth wells in Sept we paid a deposit and rest on arrival

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I take it your in a pod or cottage now you have sold your caravan. ? What the price differences like?
We manage to get 2 bedroom Lodge with a enclosed garden for the dogs for the week it £450 and that includes all your heating and holiday insurance , we thought it was reasonable

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts